AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed you can still get the RC version of Window 7 for free right now. I know W7 is a better OS, but does anyone have any experience with the Media Center Frontend, and how does it compare to VMC?

·
Registered
261 Posts
It took me a while to switch, mostly because I'd lose the ability to stream TV via WebGuide. However, aside from that minor inconvenience, I find 7MC to be a much better, easier, and quicker media center. Be prepared to lose compatibility with many apps, but if you research and find that most of your preferred programs do work, I'd go ahead and upgrade.

I love 7MC!

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I'd say the majority of 'extreme' MC users, or at least QAM users, on this forum have already changed to 7MC. It's much more stable than VMC as far as Tuner support and QAM and it's a more stable OS even in its RC state.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I was happily using QAM in VMC for a year, but when I added a CableCARD tuner, I found it just wouldn't work (it couldn't download some kind of update). I reinstalled and found that the TV pack for x64 didn't seem to work for CableCARDs. VMC with no TV pack worked...but no QAM either.

I'm using 7MC now with both QAM and CableCARD. Also, MS will be upping the tuner limit to at least 4 of each type in all W7 versions. 7MC is faster overall. Also, the X360 extender works better over wifi. It used to often take 5 minutes to get into a state where it responded to commands, but with 7MC it works (and yes, the X360 extender changes to the 7MC look).

I'll be using RC1 until I get Windows 7. I have a pro upgrade preorder, but I'll probably cancel it. I hope a family pack is offered in a "System Builder" version rather than just a PITA "Upgrade" package.

Overall, I'm loving Win7 and think Apple is going to lose some marketing arguments they've been using!

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 /forum/post/16917627

Win7 worked great for me. Other than a few settings it basically works out of the box.

Yep, AFAIC it's game over. I'm already on Win7 RTM full install + rearm until official release, 100%, everything working fine, including bitstreaming with the HDAV1.3, Media Browser working nice with my .MKVs, etc. I'm not looking back. There's no question about 7MC being much better than VMC. Really like Win7.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulli /forum/post/16917803

Yep, AFAIC it's game over. I'm already on Win7 RTM full install + rearm until official release, 100%, everything working fine, including bitstreaming with the HDAV1.3, Media Browser working nice with my .MKVs, etc. I'm not looking back. There's no question about 7MC being much better than VMC. Really like Win7.

Where'd you get the RTM?

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
whats the rtm build number? do the current windows keys work?

·
Registered
804 Posts
I've been contemplating going the W7 route from VMC for a while. The main thing keeping me back has been that I think there isn't a fix for commercial skipping yet due to the new filetype that came out with the VMC TV Pack (.wtv).

I'm aware of the workaround for reconverting the files back to the original format but haven't wanted to go through the hassles of setting this all up. I just want to have skipping work with a native file format, I guess I'm lazy

I haven't seen any comments on this yet, has there been a fix that I didn't know about? Or maybe this isn't a big deal for other people, not sure...

·
Registered
2,652 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spillz564 /forum/post/16919990

I've been contemplating going the W7 route from VMC for a while. The main thing keeping me back has been that I think there isn't a fix for commercial skipping yet due to the new filetype that came out with the VMC TV Pack (.wtv).

I'm aware of the workaround for reconverting the files back to the original format but haven't wanted to go through the hassles of setting this all up. I just want to have skipping work with a native file format, I guess I'm lazy

I haven't seen any comments on this yet, has there been a fix that I didn't know about? Or maybe this isn't a big deal for other people, not sure...

You can try MCEBuddy 2.0. It's able to work with .WTV files and can compress to h264 and remove commercials. It's still in beta and can be buggy, though. I haven't tried it in Win7 yet, but I couldn't get it working in Vista TV Pack.

·
Registered
804 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwalte /forum/post/16921037

You can try MCEBuddy 2.0. It's able to work with .WTV files and can compress to h264 and remove commercials. It's still in beta and can be buggy, though. I haven't tried it in Win7 yet, but I couldn't get it working in Vista TV Pack.

thanks for the suggestion, i'll check it out.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.