AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know the difference?

I currently use XP Media Centre and have the remote and IR receiver for it, next week I will be getting Vista Premium and wondered what the difference in the remotes are?

All I use media centre for is playing back videos on my PC, DVD's, Blu-ray movies and soon HD-DVD's - I don't record anything or watch TV etc

I have the XP MCE remote and I also got one with my XBox HD-DVD drive that I bought for my PC

·
Registered
130 Posts
The XP MCE remote and receiver/IR blaster will work fine with Vista. Mine does.

The new Vista remotes range from a basic model (identical to the MCE remote) to an advanced Bluetooth version with a "sideshow" display and Harmony-like system control.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is there no feature on Vista remotes (or MCE for that matter) that will activate the new menu's in Blu-ray & HD-DVD's?

for example, at the moment I watch Blu-ray movies, the remote works fine with play, skip, ffwd, rew & menu (the "DVD Menu" button, this takes you to the main menu though, it doesn't activate the new pop-up menus, for this I have to go over to the PC and press CTRL+P)

·
Registered
130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmace /forum/post/0

is there no feature on Vista remotes (or MCE for that matter) that will activate the new menu's in Blu-ray & HD-DVD's?

for example, at the moment I watch Blu-ray movies, the remote works fine with play, skip, ffwd, rew & menu (the "DVD Menu" button, this takes you to the main menu though, it doesn't activate the new pop-up menus, for this I have to go over to the PC and press CTRL+P)

Are you watching BlueRay and HD-DVD in Vista MCE ?

What is your setup for doing so, at the moment I´m experimenting with my Vista MSDN subscription trying to get the perfect setup, that includes hd-dvd feature in Vista.

Maybe you could direct me in the right direction ?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8redv2 /forum/post/0

Are you watching BlueRay and HD-DVD in Vista MCE ?

What is your setup for doing so, at the moment I´m experimenting with my Vista MSDN subscription trying to get the perfect setup, that includes hd-dvd feature in Vista.

Maybe you could direct me in the right direction ?

sorry, I use PowerDVD to watch Blu-ray and I can't watch HD-DVD until the software's updated to support both formats. (I mention MCE because surely in the future they will support viewing one or both of these formats)

I've heard a couple of times now about people watching HD-DVD in Vista, how are they doing it?

is it a standard feature of Vista or is it add-on software?

·
Registered
322 Posts
I am not using Vista, but this issue of remote control functionality is a HUGE problem when using PowerDVD ultra and the XBOX 360 HD DVD drive. Several important functions of the HD DVD (like setting bookmarks) require that you push the "A" button on the remote, and of course, since we're not actually using an XBOX 360, there is no "A" button on our MCE remotes. There is thus no way to activate this function. Somebody is going to have to figure this out...

·
Registered
322 Posts
I doubt it. The problem is that the IR code for the "A" button is not recognized by the MCE IR receiver, or if it is recognized, MCE doesn't understand that code. I have the actual XBOX 360 universal remote (it comes with the XBOX HD DVD drive) and none of the buttons on this remote have any effect on anything within MCE. They must be using a different frequency or something...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.