AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I setup a virtual machine on my 2008R2 server and it's running vista. I was wondering if 512MB ram would be enough if all i'm doing is using it to connect my 360 as an extender. I setup the vista machine and it works but i'm not sure if it'll have enough ram. Also is there any features or anything I can turnoff in vista to speed it up. I won't ever be actually on it unless I need to change a setting but I don't want my extender media center to be slow.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm running a AM3 965 which is 3.4ghzx4. I only have mymovies installed on the machine, and it's vista ultimate.

·
Registered
333 Posts
vista + 512MB ram = pain ... you could try to "v lite" and shrink the installation but I dont think it will get you where you need to be.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I already have it installed and everything. This is for a virtual machine and isn't even going to be used, only for my 360. I want to use as little ram as possible as it takes away from my server.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinm0424 /forum/post/18291536

I already have it installed and everything. This is for a virtual machine and isn't even going to be used, only for my 360. I want to use as little ram as possible as it takes away from my server.

are you doing any transcoding? if so it might not be enough, but you can around that by using divx7.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah i'll be transcoding everything. I thought transcoding was CPU intensive and not ram intensive. I used to use 1GB ram and everything seemed fine, I'm hoping 512 would be enough. It's very slow right now though and very hard to get into anything on the machine.

Does anyone know what services or processes I can get rid of to speed this thing up or any other tips. I'm not used to slow machines

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
according to some sites vista is actually more of a hog than win7. Maybe i'll install win7 and try it with 512 ram.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
incase anyones wondering I didn't realize vlite is used to create the actual install image so I didn't use it.

I setup win7 32bit using 2gb ram and set it all up including mymovies. I then uninstalled all windows features that isn't needed for my setup. I turned the ram down to 512 and everything seems to work fine. I'm running at 246MB ram idle. Tonight i'll be able to actually setup the extender when I get home and makesure everythings running. So far everything seems responsive and working fine but I am running an AM3 965 thats 3.4ghzx4 and have one core setup for this virtual machine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts