Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gang,

I'm not usually one to promote a business...but I must say these guys have some greart pricing on the Panny 42" Plasma. I purchased the panny unit late Jan from Dell via a 20% discount for ~4500 w/ free shipping. I've been trying to get the same deal again through Dell...but to no avail. So I saw the banner ad on here (1st banner ad i've ever clicked on) and called the 800#. Wouldn't you know..they have a lower price on the unit than the Dell deal i got that i've been begging Dell to give out again. They also were quite friendy people! If any of you find yourself in a coupon-clipping mode with Dell, I encourage you to try this vendor. A headache solved for me at least....

Eric

·
Registered
925 Posts
i bought my PDA5002 DVI card for my pioneer from paul at projection1. great folks. an absolute pleasure to do business with.

doody.

·
Registered
72 Posts
this is mainly because the price just dropped almost 1000 dollars. Just about every dealer can offer below 4500 shipped now. Panasonic has to compete with the new Sampo and Electrograph coming out, not to mention to make room for the d5u on the way

Interesting Fact: Sampo was the only manufacturer to completely sell out their old line before introducing their new one.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so i should be able to get it for 3500 - 4000 now...wow! i was unaware of the huge drop!

·
Registered
72 Posts
When you got it from Dell for 4500 delivered in Jan, YOU GOT A DEAL! :) That has been Dell's strategy, to sell them for a small loss to boost physical sales numbers. Dell was paying wholesale which was around 4750-4795 back then. Wholesale is now 3914-3999. Once Dell sells a certain number of whatever product, they are not interested in losing money any more.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I am bewildered by this logic. You really think they are selling a certain number at a loss and then quitting the money-losing? Please. They are getting a better price than you. They are Dell. They are big and strong and mighty.

The promos do come and go to meet sales quotas, but there is not lose-money-on-every-sale-make-up-for-it-in-volume strategy.

Mark

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had lunch with an Electrograph rep, and the lady from Dell who explained it all to me. They are not getting a better deal because they are not buying bulk. They make the order to Electrograph when they get the order. I get the same price as they do.

·
Registered
75 Posts
David --

Any idea what Electrograph pays Panasonic per display?

--kurt

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Anyone remember when Dell's revenue growth went from just over 50% (for previous 8 or so quarters) to 38% one quarter in 2000? Wall street hammered the stock and Dell got a lesson in managing wall street expectations.

They have become a lot better at doing so now and know that they have to meet certain revenue numbers to stay on the good side of the street. The other number that the street looks at is ave margin per desktop/ laptop/server sold for that quarter. I'm pretty certain that the margins for plasmas etc are not tracked. Thus, depending on the numbers that quarter and where they are in the quarter (nearing the end?) it may be in Dell's interests to boost top line numbers while taking a hit on a non-trackable number such as the plasma margins as long as the margins on the core business stay on track.

This is all in the interests of pleasing wall street, the veracity of which is another story altogether.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I do not know what Electrograph pays. Electrograph DOES buy in bulk of course, so I imagine it would be a good price.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Is it really realistic to assume a few thousand plasmas sold (sales: at most 10-20 mio $) would make any difference on the quartal sales figures of a giant like DELL ?

I don't think so...

·
Registered
733 Posts
I don't think Divvy was implying that a few plasma sales make Dell's quarter. I think he means that they run big specials (such as 20% of everything) towards the end of their fiscal quarters to generate increased sales. I suspect they do it to address seasonality issues as well. Whatever the reason, I am all for it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by plasmaprincess
I know we do not get the same prices as Dell on the 50 inches. I have people call me all the time and I cannot touch the price. Im better on 42 inches.
The reason you can't touch the price is because they are selling it for a LOSS!! I have heard this directly from Dell's mouth.

and people like you in me who are more interested in Customer Service than sales reports, really can't compete with that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.