AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I playback DVD's (using PowerDVD demo) and when I watch HDTV on my HTPC (using ATI Media Center), I receive visual artifacts all across the screen. They resemble the white noise you receive when you have the coaxial (TV) input selected on a TV without a signal in pattern, size, and appearence except they are the correct colors. I've noticed that both in DVD's and on HDTV large expanses of solid colors do not have artifacts (i.e. titles, menus, etc.) I do not have this problem at all on my destop or while playing games; my wallpaper and Half-Life 2 are both crystal clear. I've run several games in resolutions between 640x480 and 1920x1080 all without problem. However, CG animations within the games DO have the artifact problems (I'm pretty sure they're all in 640x480, if that helps.) I have a PCI Express X800 XT and an ATI HDTV Wonder Card. My HTPC is connnected to a Sony 34in HDTV CRT via a DVI to HDMI cable. I'm not even sure how to begin to tackle this problem, so I would appreciate any advice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I suppose I know even less than I had originally thought. After doing some searching on DVD decoder codecs, I realized that different codecs have create noticeably different images. Now I'm wondering if I simply have poor decoding codecs. Could the same codecs that affect DVD playback also affect my HDTV and in-game CG sequences? If any of you could tell me how to deal with this I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Have you tried to disable hardware acceleration w/ Power DVD? ATi's MMC also uses Power DVD's decoder so it may have some relationship. I have not used MMC in a long time so I can't be sure but I think you can check on the DVD player's configuration page. Good luck! ..mike..

·
Registered
659 Posts
If you are doing any over-clocking, especially the video card, this can introduce artifacts when playing games and videos.

·
Registered
182 Posts
If your DVI cable is over 12 feet, that may be a problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.