AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent untold hours on this site yesterday. Haven't purchased projector, but am planning for it.

Sat in my viewing position and took this photo of current view of my setup.

Then photographically composited what things "might" look like with the

projector installed instead of the RPTV. I was sitting on our couch, 20 feet back.

I would be moving the tv completely out.

Would purchase a lower profile equipment stand, something like indicated and place the

center channel on top.

Would possibly mount the PJ in middle of the sloped room where the ceiling fan now hangs. (approximately 10-12 feet from the screen wall pretty much above the glass table.) The subwoofer is built into an extra fireplace box to the immediate right. We have a gas fireplace, but right beside it was another hole to store wood, so I converted that into a place to stash the M&K sub and covered the hole with black lycra spandex swimsuit material on a speaker frame. (a whole other story.)

This is my best "visualization" of how things would work in my combination living room and theater. Would anticipate projecting on the wall only. No screen.

Here is the photo.

http://www.mikeandsharonrhodes.com/compare.jpg

I'm wondering if you all think this would work ok, given the distances involved. I have $2k to allocate to the PJ purchase Any recommendations for this setup and distance are appreciated. If it helps....here's a 360 pan of the entire room to get a better idea of what I have to work with....

http://www.mikeandsharonrhodes.com/mike/pan.html

This has been a great forum to utilize with little or no slamming and I have really appreciated reading almost all of it. No kidding. Please tell me what will work in this room arrangement.

Thanks very much.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi Wonderment,

Sorry to turn your idea completely around, but just consider it...

Take the awesome leather L-shaped couch and put it about 4' out from the bar stools in the room itself. Keep the L-shape, and put the other leg towards the window. Then project into the space where the couch is now, as the wall is much more conducive to front projector.

I haven't worked out all the details yet, but that's the quickie ideas.

As far as your original question, I'd say that RPTV or maybe plasma is your best bet in the current config. FPTV in a room right next to a huge glass door like that would be tough, and your picture would be washed out quite a bit of the time (unless you can get some really big black-out shade).

Mark

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I totally agree with the turnaround projecting on the backwall....

Here's what that looks like....

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...postid=1061874

We are trying to do the best we can with this room. If we move the sofa around...like this image is....it really cuts the room off and hides the fireplace. We have had designer after designer over here.

Tough room. Nice room. Has to do it all. I reviewed your suggestion with the sofa....had not done the sofa move before in that particular manner.

Problem is: the way the sofa is designed, moving it in that manner would not allow me to "kick out the leg rests on the short side" of the sofa. They would be pointing at the fireplace, not the screen on the back wall. But I may move it...and see how that looks and feels.

I like it reversed as you suggested. Then I really have a huge wall to project on. Thanks for the suggestion.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.