AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone mentioned in another post that they have used some of the Vivastars with the E20 burner. Has anyone else used them and how have they worked?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
So far I've burned eight Vivastar DVD-R discs with no problems.

I also purchased the Vivastar burner (299.00, including 5 blanks); it is a Panasonic clone, and works quite well.

Happy recording,

Peter M

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I just got the vivastars. I will try burning some over the weekend. I will advise how they work.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So far I have burned 3 discs with no problem. My only beef is their is no writing on the top of the disc. So it is hard to distinguish which side to put it in. Can you write on the top of these discs?

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
You should still be able to label the top side of the disk with a sharpie anyway. I've done this with other unlabled generic disks (not the Vivastars). Still waiting for my Vivastar spindle to be delivered from Tigerdirect.

Vic

·
Registered
37 Posts
So the VivaStars are ok with the e-20? Where can you get them from and for how much?

I haven't had any luck with the cheapies so far.... I tried some Princos and they were a waste of time... I was goinig to try the PrimeDiscs but then I read a lot of reported errors.... could the VivaStars be the cheapies that us e-20 owners have been waiting for?

Hyperseer

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tigerdirect.com has the Vivastars for $79.99 for a spindle of 50. And so far I have used 6 with no problems.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just an update. I have gone through about 15 with no problems (knock on wood). I gave up on the Primediscs. They were too unreliable.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by zipbags
So far I have burned 3 discs with no problem. My only beef is their is no writing on the top of the disc. So it is hard to distinguish which side to put it in. Can you write on the top of these discs?
Hmm, so the photo tiger direct is innaccurate? It shows an ink print label on them.

The price is very nice $1.60 each.

[edit] make that $1.81 each with shipping... still very good if they work. I just ordered a spindle. Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Yes, definitely inaccurate, they are completely blank. Plus the "spindle" they show looks more like 100 to 200 disks. Just got mine today and can't wait to start burning.

Vic

·
Registered
37 Posts
To everyone that is trying these discs on their e-20s - thanks! Please continue to post your results.... one thing that I have learned about the e-20 is that what media might work for one person on one e-20 might not work for another! So if a number of people continue to use the Vivastars with success, then I think us e-20 owners have found our solution for cheap media!

It's a mystery to me why one person can have success with one type of media on the e-20, and another person only gets coasters. I heard of someone having success with Princos so I ordered a couple and they were completely worthless (wouldn't even burn on my computer QPS burner either). So in that case I assume the person who had success must have had a different batch.

Happy burning!

Hyperseer

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have burned about 6 Princo's so far with no problem!

Has anyone tried the LEDA ? shop4tech has them for $1.39!!

Marcel

·
Registered
492 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Marcelh
I have burned about 6 Princo's so far with no problem!

Has anyone tried the LEDA ? shop4tech has them for $1.39!!

Marcel
My old DMR-E20 had problems with the Princo's but my new unit work great with them. I purchased a 90 pack for QTCCDR.com for $108 ($1.15/disk). After shipping is included , which was around $12.25 it average to about $1.33 a disk.

I was going to try the Vivastars but decided on the Princo's since they were cheaper per disk.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
The Vivastars are working for me. Three burned so far w/o problem and am working on the fourth while I type. Thinking of getting another batch. Might try the Princos, though, as well - good price.

Vic

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Boo-Hoo the Vivastar 50 packs are gone @ Tigerdirect. However, 30 pack Vivastars with jewel cases for $2 per are available. Appear to have write on labels, but the 50 pack picture also implied this (wrong). Vivastars are still burning great in my E20.

Vic

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I cannot believe the 50 packs are gone. The Vivastars have been the only discs that have worked perfectly on my E20. And they were a good price. I called and they guy said they are not sure if they are getting anymore. I have not been able to find them anywhere. If anyone finds a place that sells them in the 50 pack spindle. Please let me know.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I have good news for Vivastar fans. Supposedly Tigerdirect will have them back in stock on the 21st. Last night I went to yahoo shopping looking for them. They had the 50 spindle at Tigerdirect/Yahoo ordering. It was the same price and item number and it allowed me to order it. After ordering I contacted them to confirm. They said they had a couple left, but that they were probably already sold. He said I should check back today and see if they shipped or were backordered. Well I called this afternoon and were told they shipped out today. I asked if their were anymore. He said they were completely out now. BUT, he did say they will have more in on the 21st. So hopefully they will get more back in for everyone who wants them. Remember this was through the Yahoo shopping/Tigerdirect order dept. Here is the phone number for anyone who wants to call 1-800-364-9481

·
Registered
89 Posts
I got my 50 pack of Vivastars in yesterday. The E20 seemed to like the first one fine. It recorded and finalized and played back on the E20 fine. However, the finalized DVD would not play on my PC or my Sampo 620 player (which plays everything). I put it back in the E20 and it plays fine. This seems like a media problem?

I recorded a second disc and it works perfect on any player.

One note, the spindle case was cracked like it had been dropped hard. So maybe there was physical damage to the discs.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Has anybody tried burning one of these at 2X in a Pioneer?

Also, does the Vivastar burner use Panasonic bios, or do you need special bios upgrades? Is the drive an LF-D311?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.