AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching for a projector lately and I came down to two choices. Epson 8350 and the Optoma hd20. I am trying my best to shop around for a really good price, but I am thinking of waiting for black Friday. I am not in any rush right now. Just want thoughts. Here is the dilemma, I went into bb and went into one of the magnolia studios and saw a vivitek h5080. Went home to do some research on it and didn't see many reviews. It is usually a 3k pj and i got a call from the supervisor from the magnolia store a couple of days ago saying they will sell me the display model for 1k. Question is, should I bite or see if they can go lower? They are dropping the price considerably. Pj works fine, but I read there is an issue with black levels on the pj (depending on the lighting situation). I need advice.

·
Registered
140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyBoy George /forum/post/20826743

I have been searching for a projector lately and I came down to two choices. Epson 8350 and the Optoma hd20. I am trying my best to shop around for a really good price, but I am thinking of waiting for black Friday. I am not in any rush right now. Just want thoughts. Here is the dilemma, I went into bb and went into one of the magnolia studios and saw a vivitek h5080. Went home to do some research on it and didn't see many reviews. It is usually a 3k pj and i got a call from the supervisor from the magnolia store a couple of days ago saying they will sell me the display model for 1k. Question is, should I bite or see if they can go lower? They are dropping the price considerably. Pj works fine, but I read there is an issue with black levels on the pj (depending on the lighting situation). I need advice.

First thing I would want to know is how many hours are on the bulb/projector. The 8350 is a strong performer and is right at that price range brand new. Call Benito at AVS and see what he recommends for your price range. I wouldn't have bought the projector I bought without his advice, and I'm glad he suggested it! Not to mention I feel like I got the best price possible.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
The Vivitek is a current projector and generally sells >$2.5K, and the Optoma "clone" (HD8600?) for >$3K. The Optoma originally sold for $6K. It is a pretty good FP, and at 1K it is a bargain. Even if you have to buy a new bulb, your total cost is substantially less than going price. It is a better projector than the hd20 (and the price difference that Optoma sold them for reflects that), but I know little of the Epson (but I would be very surprised if it was superior). Projector reviews reviewed both the Vivitek and the Optoma.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
There's no way an 8350 or HD20 can compete with the Vivitek H5080! This a monster in best mode! It exceeds the 8350 by more than double the best mode lumens easily. It is closer to 3 times brighter in best mode. For 1K I wouldn't hesitate. The unit comes with a 3 year warranty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for your input guys. I am actually a worker at bb and the general manager is actually, from what I'm told, is giving it away for 700 right now, but only to employees. I still need to check how many hours is on the bulb. My mistake, it was labeled incorrectly as well, it is the h5082 not the h5080.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyBoy George /forum/post/20837974

thanks for your input guys. I am actually a worker at bb and the general manager is actually, from what I'm told, is giving it away for 700 right now, but only to employees. I still need to check how many hours is on the bulb. My mistake, it was labeled incorrectly as well, it is the h5082 not the h5080.

Well if it is the H5082..it is better than the H5080 according to the spec's. Even if it were two years old, neither of the two models you are considering can touch it. This unit should perform similar to my Infocus 8602. If you can get it for $700..you basically stole it! lol You would need to spend 5 times that to match it in IQ. Looks like a 1 year warranty.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Rise from the grave, I think H5082 have just commercial specs but that it's the same products and capabilities than the 5080. It remain a good entry projector with high brightness and very low RE.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts