AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very new to this home theatre hobby so I know I have come to the right place if I need some help.

I am in the early planning of a home theatre room in my basement.

The dimensions of the room will be:

7 feet H, 14.5 W, 24 ft L

I want to buy i very good projector and I have seen the Runco LS3 at a dealer and I was very impressed.

Another dealer carries the Vivitek line and explained to me that the unit is also DLP but unfortunately did not have it for viewing.

I live in Toronto and the model # is H5085 which I was told is an upgraded model to the H5080.

This model # appears not to be available in the US but it is available in Canada and Europe.

Does any one know much about this model and what the differences are between the 2 models? How does a Vivitek compare to the Runco?

I plan on using a motorized screen made by Seymour AV.

I would appreciate any advice about my proposed setup that you guys can offer. I think a comfortable seating distance for me will be about 14-15 feet.

What size of screen do you think would be best in my scenario?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
You are lucky. I had the runco LS-3 for 1 month to do a review for a local hi-fi magazine and now have the vivitek H5085 at home for a review also. Just installed it yesterday.

It is a nice unit, but the runco is superior, especially if you dont intend to do a full calibration, as the vivitek does need it. the runco is ISF calibrated and has the best overall gray scale OOTB that i've seen. The ls-3 is also better for overall image sharpness. It is noisy though if used with the powerfull mode, but the PQ is so nice that i didnt mind.

I would go for the LS-3 as it came also with a free second bulb.

From what i saw on another review, there are not much differences between the H5080 and H5085.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiman /forum/post/20341808

You are lucky. I had the runco LS-3 for 1 month to do a review for a local hi-fi magazine and now have the vivitek H5085 at home for a review also. Just installed it yesterday.

It is a nice unit, but the runco is superior, especially if you dont intend to do a full calibration, as the vivitek does need it. the runco is ISF calibrated and has the best overall gray scale OOTB that i've seen. The ls-3 is also better for overall image sharpness. It is noisy though if used with the powerfull mode, but the PQ is so nice that i didnt mind.

I would go for the LS-3 as it came also with a free second bulb.

From what i saw on another review, there are not much differences between the H5080 and H5085.

Thanks for replying Audiman!!! I was beginning to think that no one would answer.

Very funny thing - yesterday I spoke to a gentleman on the phone at RGB Canada and he told me that the demo 5085 unit that he has was oout for review. You must be the guy he meant! Small world n'estce pas?

I am intrigued that you preferred the Runco. I was told by one of the dealers here in Toronto that he thinks that the parent company in China/Taiwan that builds the Vivitek probably builds the Runco as well. Maybe yes, maybe no.

Let me ask your advice if you don't mind:

Here is what I am planning to do:

My room will be -

7'H x 14.5'W x 24.5'L

I will be using a motorized screen by SeymourAV.

I would like to sit about 15 feet from head to screen.

1: How wide a screen do you think I need?

2: My budget for the proj is $6000. What do you think would be my best bang for the buck (and for the eye!) for a projector?

3: Re Runco - besides money what is the difference between an LS3 and and LS5?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
58 Posts
Then you will love the Knoll Systems HDP-2300. I adviced another person on here who was looking for a projector with alot of brightness plus lens shift and long throw capabilities to look at this. It is basically a souped up H5082. Knoll adds better lenses, software, etc and then sells it under their name. I have their HDP-1200 and love it. The 2300 is much brighter. Here is a link to the Knoll site.
http://knollsystems.com/prod-hdp2300-features.htm

You can purchase the projector at
http://www.audio-direct.com/p-139376...processor.aspx

I highly recommed that you check it out.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit84 /forum/post/20341957

Thanks for replying Audiman!!! I was beginning to think that no one would answer.

Very funny thing - yesterday I spoke to a gentleman on the phone at RGB Canada and he told me that the demo 5085 unit that he has was oout for review. You must be the guy he meant! Small world n'estce pas?

I am intrigued that you preferred the Runco. I was told by one of the dealers here in Toronto that he thinks that the parent company in China/Taiwan that builds the Vivitek probably builds the Runco as well. Maybe yes, maybe no.

Let me ask your advice if you don't mind:

Here is what I am planning to do:

My room will be -

7'H x 14.5'W x 24.5'L

I will be using a motorized screen by SeymourAV.

I would like to sit about 15 feet from head to screen.

1: How wide a screen do you think I need?

2: My budget for the proj is $6000. What do you think would be my best bang for the buck (and for the eye!) for a projector?

3: Re Runco - besides money what is the difference between an LS3 and and LS5?

thanks in advance

Small world indeed. The H5085 came from a montreal region dealer.

The runco has a very long throw with the standard len, so your room would do. it is very bright so maybe 120" diag. would do. I would suggest you try on the wall before you commit for the screen size.

LS-5 has a higher CR. There are some posts here on the differences. Maybe the mother company does both vivitek and runco basic components, but the runco has the better len. There is absolutly no motion blur with the runco, and did try a lot a fast sports. The H5085 is good also on that matter.

Runco is now owned by Planar and the LS-3 is a rebadged planar product with some mods in it. I know i saw an ls-3 for sale and the guy was upgrading for a better projector, maybe it was the knoll. But for 6000$, i would take another look at the LS-3.

Let us know about your decision.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiman /forum/post/20342746

Small world indeed. The H5085 came from a montreal region dealer.

The runco has a very long throw with the standard len, so your room would do. it is very bright so maybe 120" diag. would do. I would suggest you try on the wall before you commit for the screen size.

LS-5 has a higher CR. There are some posts here on the differences. Maybe the mother company does both vivitek and runco basic components, but the runco has the better len. There is absolutly no motion blur with the runco, and did try a lot a fast sports. The H5085 is good also on that matter.

Runco is now owned by Planar and the LS-3 is a rebadged planar product with some mods in it. I know i saw an ls-3 for sale and the guy was upgrading for a better projector, maybe it was the knoll. But for 6000$, i would take another look at the LS-3.

Let us know about your decision.

Audiman - is the Knoll a good product and how do you think it compares to the runco? What about availability of the knoll in canada?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit84 /forum/post/20343157

Audiman - is the Knoll a good product and how do you think it compares to the runco? What about availability of the knoll in canada?

Sorry, i dont know the knoll products.

Quote:
Canada - Distribution

British Columbia

Distribution Plan B

1115-13700 Mayfield Place

Richmond, BC V6V 2E2

Phone: 604-273-1707

Fax: 888-235-1769
[email protected]

Quebec

Distribution Plan B

119 Boul Brunswick, Suite 300

Point Claire, QC H9R 5N2

Phone: 514-694-4999

Fax: 514-694-7035
[email protected]

·
Registered
58 Posts
The reason I decided on the Knoll HDP-1200 was that I wanted a DLP projector, but also needed a large amount of lens shift because I am dealing with 9' ceilings. All Knoll projectors offer at least +120% lens shift (mine offers +140%). In addition, the upgraded lense and software really DOES make a difference. You can buy the projectors directly from Knoll, or from auio-direct.

I know it may seem like I am a Knoll employee..lol...but I simply wanted to inform others about these projectors which I only found out about a year ago.

Good luck

·
Registered
13,562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy244 /forum/post/20342303

Then you will love the Knoll Systems HDP-2300. I adviced another person on here who was looking for a projector with alot of brightness plus lens shift and long throw capabilities to look at this. It is basically a souped up H5082. Knoll adds better lenses, software, etc and then sells it under their name. I have their HDP-1200 and love it. The 2300 is much brighter. Here is a link to the Knoll site.
http://knollsystems.com/prod-hdp2300-features.htm

You can purchase the projector at
http://www.audio-direct.com/p-139376...processor.aspx

I highly recommed that you check it out.

That projector is 2 times the price of the H5082.. what exactly are you getting that increases the cost by a factor of 2? it would have to be pretty convincing to double the cost.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy244 /forum/post/20369508

Here is a link for the HDP-6000 which sells it at a great price.

http://www.advancedgadgetshop.com/se...0-1080p/Detail

Granted, the shipping is a bit ridiculous, but the total is just a little more than the SP8602.

And YES, all glass lens and better software makes a HUGE difference

The installation manual has the exact same spec's as the 8602, and there is no mention of any changes to the lens system??? I paid $2500 for my 8602, please provide a link to the features that justify the higher price!

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
That's clearly an Infocus SP8602 rebadged. I doubt there is anything different besides you paying too much for it. lol

You can buy them all day long for 3 grand..why pay more? If you catch a good sell then even better. Bought mine for $2400 brand new with full warranty!For the all around performance..nothing can can touch it in the price range IMO.

It's no different than the rebadged JVCs by a Canadian company.

·
Registered
158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesyah /forum/post/20369896

That's clearly an Infocus SP8602 rebadged. I doubt there is anything different besides you paying too much for it. lol

You can buy them all day long for 3 grand..why pay more? If you catch a good sell then even better. Bought mine for $2400 brand new with full warranty!For the all around performance..nothing can can touch it in the price range IMO.

It's no different than the rebadged JVCs by a Canadian company.

What company is that, Dream Vision?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
After playing a bit with the H5085, the ls-3 is clearly better OOTB. There is a full calibration to be done on the H5085 and i doubt it will reach the ls3's performance.

·
Premium Member
13,750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiman /forum/post/20385100

After playing a bit with the H5085, the ls-3 is clearly better OOTB. There is a full calibration to be done on the H5085 and i doubt it will reach the ls3's performance.

Very interesting...

By manufacturer's spec's:

H5085: 1800 lumens and 35,000:1 contrast ratio

LS3: 1000 lumens and 10,000:1 contrast ratio

How does a pj with *much* lower light output, (1,800 vs 1,000 lumens), and *much* lower CR, (35K vs. 10K), be "clearly better OOTB"?

Craig

·
Registered
1,187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john /forum/post/20390372

Very interesting...

By manufacturer's spec's:

H5085: 1800 lumens and 35,000:1 contrast ratio

LS3: 1000 lumens and 10,000:1 contrast ratio

How does a pj with *much* lower light output, (1,800 vs 1,000 lumens), and *much* lower CR, (35K vs. 10K), be "clearly better OOTB"?

Craig

Because the LS3 is sold with full ISF calibration OOTB. I did say it was clearly better OOTB. Did not do the calibration on the h5085 yet.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
After a moderate calibration, the H5085 does look much better. Only thing is the lack off "movie like" feeling as HDTv films (from 1080i) looks like it was shot on video.

I will do some further testing with 1080p BD movies.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts