AVS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 394 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Cool, a great opportunity to ask them many, many questions. :D

My first one would probably whether they are using one of the latest Pixelworks Motion Engines for their "VividMotion" FI...:eek:

Reactions: TheBrandon

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Cool, a great opportunity to ask them many, many questions. :D

My first one would probably whether they are using one of the latest Pixelworks Motion Engines for their "VividMotion" FI...:eek:
You are and I are in the exact same boat regarding motion with higher resolution images. This year has so many potential gotchas with newer techs. I just hope we hear these types of questions being asked early on as opposed to later.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Strange, today is Day Two of CEDIA with one more day to go tomorrow, I would have thought we'd heard something of Vivitek in sound room 19 by now.

I.e. I'm pretty certain the "faux-K" DLP dislikers would have told us by now how much the HK2299 "sucks".

Their silence is hard to overhear, maybe the HK2299 is so good that nobody dares to tell us about it. :D

·
Registered
12,514 Posts
I will go to the Viv booth today. I am not sure what models I saw at other booths, but they didn't look to bad in comparison to how much I disliked them last year. The lack of on/off cr though is quite apparent.

·
Registered
18,139 Posts
Strange, today is Day Two of CEDIA with one more day to go tomorrow, I would have thought we'd heard something of Vivitek in sound room 19 by now.

I.e. I'm pretty certain the "faux-K" DLP dislikers would have told us by now how much the HK2299 "sucks".

Their silence is hard to overhear, maybe the HK2299 is so good that nobody dares to tell us about it. :D
We looked at them yesterday. They looked sharp, to me they had a digital look, had good motion, and I could see some RBE on all of them. No way to tell what the contrast looks like with the demo material. Not my cup of tea picture wise.

·
Registered
15,390 Posts
Another interesting aspect, if and when Sony drops a native 4K under 5000, is if they'll stick to their cinema 4K resolution (4096x2160) or go with the UHD standard (3840 × 2160).
Personally I'm hoping Sony drops the Cinema resolution, and goes with the UHD one, as it pixelmaps 1 to 4 with 1080p, and fits the UHD Blu-ray (and future broadcast) resolutions, without any need for stretching, pixelmap-missmatch, or "blacking out" of the extra ~200 pixels.
The resolution of the SXRD panels doesn't stop them from doing 1:1 with UHD. The pixels are square. When it's fed UHD (3840x2160) the pixels on the edges aren't used due to the SXRD panels being wider than 16:9. It's basically like the pillarboxing you get when watching 4:3 content on a 16:9 display but to a lesser degree.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The resolution of the SXRD panels doesn't stop them from doing 1:1 with UHD. The pixels are square. When it's fed UHD (3840x2160) the pixels on the edges aren't used due to the SXRD panels being wider than 16:9. It's basically like the pillarboxing you get when watching 4:3 content on a 16:9 display but to a lesser degree.
Yeah, was one of my guesses (blacking out the ~200 pixels). But it's still not optimal imo. How would you go about framing the picture on your 16:9 screen, would you set the edges at the 4k edge, or the UHD edge. Setting at the 4K edge would create a about 5% border on the sides of your picture which for a 117" screen would be about 5" of screen real-estate that's blacked out on the sides.
Setting it at the UHD edge, would mean you'd possible have picture information outside your screen's masked edges, shouldn't be a problem if you never feed it a 4K image, and stick to UHD, but I know with my current projector and screen, that if a large enough truck has driven past my apartment, the alignment of the screen and projector can go a bit off, setting some picture information outside of the masked part of the screen, and I see some shimmering at the masked bottom or top of my screen, even on Widescreen movies, where the top and bottom are blacked out, it's noticeable.

Not sure how much media there is out there to feed Cinema 4K even, maybe it's something for the ultra high end enthusiast of home cinema, but as these projectors start to come down into more affordable prices, I don't see the draw of a 4096x2160 image over the UHD standard.

·
Registered
15,390 Posts
Yeah, was one of my guesses (blacking out the ~200 pixels). But it's still not optimal imo. How would you go about framing the picture on your 16:9 screen, would you set the edges at the 4k edge, or the UHD edge. Setting at the 4K edge would create a about 5% border on the sides of your picture which for a 117" screen would be about 5" of screen real-estate that's blacked out on the sides.
Setting it at the UHD edge, would mean you'd possible have picture information outside your screen's masked edges, shouldn't be a problem if you never feed it a 4K image, and stick to UHD, but I know with my current projector and screen, that if a large enough truck has driven past my apartment, the alignment of the screen and projector can go a bit off, setting some picture information outside of the masked part of the screen, and I see some shimmering at the masked bottom or top of my screen, even on Widescreen movies, where the top and bottom are blacked out, it's noticeable.

Not sure how much media there is out there to feed Cinema 4K even, maybe it's something for the ultra high end enthusiast of home cinema, but as these projectors start to come down into more affordable prices, I don't see the draw of a 4096x2160 image over the UHD standard.
That depends on the AR of your screen. If it's 16:9, I'd suggest ignoring the extra pixels on each side since they're not going to be used for much. Set up the projector so that UHD content fills the 16:9 screen. The projector doesn't have an option to force them edges black even for 4096 wide content?

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Eyes on the prize.

I saw you mentioned that but did find this, https://www.vivitekusa.com/eventdetail/?event_id=c3A0RWFiVEpmZndEdmUrbTN2dHZweTJrUVZKU3YxcS9mZWlpUjFsRnd4OD0=

CEDIA 2017

Event Date: Sep 07, 2017 - Sep 09, 2017 l Location: San Diego, CA

Vivitek will showcase latest CEDIA Home Theater at sound room 19

I too made it to CEDIA 2017.
I walked away disappointed in laser projection. The color fidelity just wasn't there.
But, not so with this mini-beast. I have plenty of good things to say about the 2299,
starting with its price. The presenter kept quoting $2500 and mentioned 'back ordered' too.
More later.

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
You have to remember that outside of the $100k+ machines possibly, nobody is using RGB laser, they're using laser-pumped phosphor, and that means we're back to filtering color just like with a lamp, and we have lamp-like color gamut as well.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I too made it to CEDIA 2017.
I walked away disappointed in laser projection. The color fidelity just wasn't there.
But, not so with this mini-beast. I have plenty of good things to say about the 2299,
starting with its price. The presenter kept quoting $2500 and mentioned 'back ordered' too.
More later.
Cool, looking forward to your impressions of this. With the pricetag, I'd have thought this would be in the same leagues as the other TI Chip products, but you calling it a "min-beast" has my hopes up for it surprising us some :)

·
Registered
1,503 Posts

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Dmd

Cool, looking forward to your impressions of this. With the pricetag, I'd have thought this would be in the same leagues as the other TI Chip products, but you calling it a "min-beast" has my hopes up for it surprising us some :)

It all starts here:
http://www.ti.com/product/dlp660te/datasheet

Which is quite surprising as the chip is the same size as found in their 1080p units, a fraction of the size.
Hence, it's beastly in weight and size by comparison. I own and enjoy a DH559, so I know.

·
Registered
253 Posts
It all starts here:
http://www.ti.com/product/dlp660te/datasheet

Which is quite surprising as the chip is the same size as found in their 1080p units, a fraction of the size.
Hence, it's beastly in weight and size by comparison. I own and enjoy a DH559, so I know.
I meant more, in the same league as the other TI 4K Chip products we've already seen, like the Optoma UHD60 and 65 (and 550X), which while having their positive sides, haven't exactly lit any fires.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Looking for 4K?

I know where you are coming from.
So, let me put it to you this way. I saw every
PJ displayed at CEDIA at least twice, just to make
sure. I walked away with two concrete observations:
Laser simply cannot match the color fidelity of UHP lamp models
and that being said the JVC X990R and the HK2299 delivered
the best image, The JVC retails for $8K. I could live with either.

Now that said, the TI 4k solution was sharper and more detailed
than the excellent JVC. I suspect this has mostly to do with convergence issues
and optics.

Oh, BTW, I even saw a $90,000 M-Vision. This is an 18,000 lumen beast
with serious bragging rights. At the end of the day, my vote still goes to
the HK2299. My humble 155 inch screen won't complain.

Always keep in mind I only had limited exposer at CEDIA. You never know a projector until
you spend many nights with it, with source material you are very familiar with.

·
Registered
18,139 Posts
I went to the Vivitek demo too. Out of the four they demo'd, I thought the HK2299 looked the best. It was sharp, had good motion. Unfortunately I now can see some RBE on every single chip DLP - the Barco Loki and DPI units included - which bugs me. I also thought the Vivitek's looked more " digital " than what I'm used to.

I thought the BenQ HT9050 looked better. No way to judge contrast on these demo's though.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
^^^

Where was the BQ @ CEDIA?

Regrettably no. Many of the giants that show at CES and Infocomm do not do CEDIA,
to include Optoma, BenQ, Panasonic, Dell, etc.
CEDIA is a show dedicated to custom AV installers and integrators.

However, Barco, Epson, Sony, JVC, Vivitek, and Digital Projection all had 'man cave' booths touting their projectors.
16 x 9 foot screens were popular this year.

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
However, Barco, Epson, Sony, JVC, Vivitek, and Digital Projection all had 'man cave' booths touting their projectors.
16 x 9 foot screens were popular this year.
This makes sense when you consider these guys have "custom install" units that are only supposed to be sold by custom installers or through a professional/commercial dealer and those other guys don't. Those other brands are very "consumer" electronics oriented.

81 - 100 of 394 Posts