AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 2203 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vivitek Corporation, a leading manufacturer of innovative visual presentation products, enters the Pico projector category with the Qumi, the company’s new line of LED-based pocket projectors. To maximize the company’s strength in LED-based projectors, the new Qumi (pronounced Q-me) projectors enhance Vivitek’s family of projection devices for a wide range of applications.


“We know that hours of operation, brightness and picture quality are key factors for users. The Qumi projectors incorporate the latest LED and other leading-edge technologies and features, such as 3D, to ensure that it is versatile enough to match the range of portable products out in the market.”

Weighing in at only 1.6 pounds, the Qumi is the first pocket projector to be 3D-ready via Texas Instruments’ DLP® Link™ technology. The Qumi’s touch sensitive button controls and sleek design is ready to be used with a variety of devices, including, but not limited to digital cameras, laptops, smart phones and tablets. Vivitek’s Qumi projector is versatile and portable enough for both work and play, making it ideal for sharing digital content.


“With the Qumi line of LED-based projectors, Vivitek now has a complete line of projector models to fit just about any need and application,” said Christopher Yang, senior product manager at Vivitek. “We know that hours of operation, brightness and picture quality are key factors for users. The Qumi projectors incorporate the latest LED and other leading-edge technologies and features, such as 3D, to ensure that it is versatile enough to match the range of portable products out in the market.”


Qumi Key Features/Specifications:


Native WXGA (1280x800) resolution

Up to 300 lumens of brightness and a 2500:1 contrast ratio

3D-Ready (via DLP Link) and a DLP chipset from Texas Instruments

1.6 pounds; Dimensions: 6.3”(w) x 1.2”(h) x 3.9”(d)

30,000+ estimated LED hours of operation

Connectivity options include: Mini-HDMI, Universal I/O (24-pin connector for VGA/component input), 3.5mm video-in, 3.5mm mini-jack audio-out

USB and MicroSD slots for content and memory expansion

Built-in 1W speaker

Offered in a black or white finish

Available in May 2011; Estimated street price of $499.00(USD)

* Information courtesy of buisnesswire.com





 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Would like to see how this matches up against the LG LED projectors like the HS201 and HX300.

Role on May!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,352 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltonebob /forum/post/0


Would like to see how this matches up against the LG LED projectors like the HS201 and HX300.

Role on May!

Based on manufacturers specs, they are in different leagues.


Have to compare it to lg's new one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
DLP Link -> 120hz -> no 3:2 Pulldown with 24p



So even if 300 lumen is not enough for 3d (with glasses on its about 60 lumen) DLP Link has its advantages^^
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor2010 /forum/post/19782003


At 300 lumens, it's really a home theater projector the size of a pico projector. I like it!

This looks really great. Might be nice for a smaller screen (60" or so). Although I wonder what the best mode brightness is like? 300 is the wacked-out color mode, but is 200 lumens reasonable (from previous pico projectors). And do these units have a focus ring, or is the focus pre-set?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
i've had the lg hs 100 and even with its 100 lm the picture was quite enjoyable in terms of brightness at 60'' and in dark room. so with the qumi you should be able to go further. i would say 100 '' should be possible. but the question is how pleasant the experience stays when wearing 3d-glasses. you have only 20% of the brightness. that could be a problem at 100'' even in dark rooms. but at the other hand i'm skeptic about 3d at all, so its not a crucial factor. i'm so happy to see that 2011 will finally be the year when led-projectors with its long lifespan reaching the hd barrier. can't find sleep for the next 4 months till watching my favorites at 100'' without thinking about cost of operation. good start in 2011
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
390 Posts
I just read the LG HX300G review to get an idea of what the Qumi brightness will be. It uses the same or similar LED light source (uses a 1024x768 chip, larger in size). Its rated at 300 lumens. ProjectorCentral measured it at 184 Lumens in its Cinema Mode, which is its mode with best colour.


That is quite bright for a pico projector! But 3D mode will require a smaller screen IMO. I like a bright image, and 3D really kills the brightness. But on the plus side, the features of this unit are outstanding! DLP really has a game-changer here with this new tiny chip!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier1
I just read the LG HX300G review to get an idea of what the Qumi brightness will be. It uses the same or similar LED light source (uses a 1024x768 chip, larger in size). Its rated at 300 lumens. ProjectorCentral measured it at 184 Lumens in its Cinema Mode, which is its mode with best colour.


That is quite bright for a pico projector! But 3D mode will require a smaller screen IMO. I like a bright image, and 3D really kills the brightness. But on the plus side, the features of this unit are outstanding! DLP really has a game-changer here with this new tiny chip!
this is the new one
Quote:
the LG HW300T has a 1200 x 800 resolution, 250 ANSI lumens brightness, 2,000:1 contrast ratio and HDMI socket.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier1
Its rated at 300 lumens. ProjectorCentral measured it at 184 Lumens in its Cinema Mode, which is its mode with best colour.
don't forget about the "Helmholtz-Kohlrausch-Effekt"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis_bickle
don't forget about the "Helmholtz-Kohlrausch-Effekt"
not necessarily a good thing,different colors are affected to varying levels, the perception from the viewer which can vary greatly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eat meat /forum/post/19786373


not necessarily a good thing,different colors are affected to varying levels, the perception from the viewer which can vary greatly.

in most cases you dont have pure colors projected to the screen, so it would stand out that the "Helmholtz-Kohlrausch-Effekt" is not present at yellow for example. overall and for the majority of consumers the brightness appears to be higher than it should be considering the specs caused by the very good color saturation of led projectors
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis_bickle
don't forget about the "Helmholtz-Kohlrausch-Effekt"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for bringing this up; i remember reading about it some time ago and forgotten.

Now it makes sense and helps explain why the minute i turned on either of the two LG LED pjs i've owned it seemed like the color cones in my retina went into some kind of " video color orgasm", i couldn't take my eyes off the screen because of the colors, specifically their saturation.

It left my good ol' CRT pj to shame : i immediately noticed the deeply saturated reds, unlike the calibrated CRT's "orangey red", purples/deep blues that i've never seen before, yellows, greens, cyan, magenta and orange had a similar effect, in sum, the entire color spectrum had some kind of radiance that i couldn't quite explain.

I thought to myself and still do, if this is oversaturated/innacurate LED colors, bring them on !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto
it seemed like the color cones in my retina went into some kind of " video color orgasm"
ROFL! That would be a great quote for a sales ad!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltonebob /forum/post/19806344


Video footage from CES of a Vivitek representative introducing the Qumi portable LED projector.


________________________________________________________

Thanks for the link boltonbob.

When i watched the video for the Vivitek Qumi i was suprised by the fact that the touch-capacitive controls on top of the case look exactly like the same controls placed at the same location as on my previously owned LG HS-201. Hmm, what's up with that ?

Also, the fact that the Qumi does not have any of the wi-fi/DNLA capabilities of the upcoming LG HW300T but other than that has very/very similar specs (Hmm, what's up with that again ?) means that LG will sell its product for considerably more, i would imagine from $700 to $750.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto /forum/post/19807712


________________________________________________________

Thanks for the link boltonbob.

When i watched the video for the Vivitek Qumi i was suprised by the fact that the touch-capacitive controls on top of the case look exactly like the same controls placed at the same location as on my previously owned LG HS-201. Hmm, what's up with that ?

Also, the fact that the Qumi does not have any of the wi-fi/DNLA capabilities of the upcoming LG HW300T but other than that has very/very similar specs (Hmm, what's up with that again ?) means that LG will sell its product for considerably more, i would imagine from $700 to $750.

are you kidding ,the 1024x768 lg is going for 700$

and yea every one is copying LG
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eat meat /forum/post/19809723


are you kidding ,the 1024x768 lg is going for 700$

and yea every one is copying LG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I doubt very/very much that LG will increase the pricing of the HW300T above current msrp for the HX300G, especially now with this Vivitek pj.

I didn't imply that "everyone is copying LG"; I implied that based on specs, design and look, it's beginning to appear to my eyes that these pjs come from the same OEM, if it is LG, Vivitek or some other Chinese/Taiwanese/Korean manufacturer i can't tell which one.

Keep bringing on these inexpensive LED beauties boys !....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto /forum/post/19810199


-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I doubt very/very much that LG will increase the pricing of the HW300T above current msrp for the HX300G, especially now with this Vivitek pj.

.

hs201 800x600 is 500$ ,HX300G 1024x768 is 700$ and the HW300T 720p is gonna be______?

See a trend?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,206 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eat meat /forum/post/0


hs201 800x600 is 500$ ,HX300G 1024x768 is 700$ and the HW300T 720p is gonna be______?

See a trend?

$900, HWU400T 1920 x 1200 $1100?


It is a little hard to find a trend with only two products to go by.
 
1 - 20 of 2203 Posts
Top