AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The G30 manual describes the face detection and tracking feature as follows: "The camcorder automatically detects people's faces and uses this information to select the optimal focus AND EXPOSURE settings." In my usage and testing with a G30 since August, I have found that it doesn't change the exposure at all in the object or face being tracked, just the focus. I can even point it at the center of a large lamp some 15 feet away and it will track the lamp fine while the camera is being panned, but completely overexposes it the whole time. If I then switch to manual exposure and touch the lamp on the LCD, the exposure is brought down appropriately.

Do others have the same experience with this feature? Perhaps people think it works because the faces they shoot occupy the whole center of the image and thus already dictate the exposure? Or perhaps I am I doing something wrong.

P.S. Although I don’t have one of these two camcorders, I notice that the G10 and G20 manuals also mention the setting of optimal EXPOSURE for the tracked subject as being a part of face tracking:

HF G20: “You can have the camera automatically detect people’s face and use this information to adjust the focus AND SET THE BEST EXPOSURE for beautiful videos and photos."

HF G10: “The camcorder automatically detects people’s faces and uses this information to select the optimal focus AND EXPOSURE settings.”

Very likely these camcorders behave the same as the G30 in this regard. So what "adjustments" -- if any -- are they actually making??

Don

[reposted now in the correct forum]

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Perhaps the camera thinks a lamp does not look much like a face?

Face tracking will put a large bracketed square around the face that changes in size as you move further or closer to the subject. It will not do that with a lamp. You can manually set focus tracking to a particular point, but that is NOT face tracking. The bracket in point tracking has doubled lines. The point tracking bracket does not change size.

Check to make sure that you have face tracking on. The switch is found under /function/menu/camera settings/face detection and tracking. Make sure that is "on"

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Well, it tracks the lamp just fine as I move the camera, it's just that it's ignoring the exposure at that time. In fact, it tracks pets and other moving objects, provided they have enough contour and detail.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deebeevid  /t/1525285/vixia-g30-and-g10-g20-do...xposure-for-faces-being-tracked#post_24554640

Well, it tracks the lamp just fine as I move the camera, it's just that it's ignoring the exposure at that time. In fact, it tracks pets and other moving objects, provided they have enough contour and detail.

Yes, but that is not face tracking. What you are doing is locking focus to a specific point, but exposure will still be done on the whole scene.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Hmm. Are you saying is that it can track both faces and objects (for focus), but only adjusts exposure for actual faces? You may have something there. Then a face at a distance may only be tracked as an object and not a face. This could explain some of my observations. I have been shooting theater and observing overexposed faces being tracked fine yet not being adjusted for exposure. They may have been too small to be a "face".

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Until now, I didn't notice your edit of your first reply. I HAVE been speaking of the double square following the lamp. That is the only tracking and face recognition I am aware of. The G30 is very good at fixing on an object when you touch the screen (giving it a double square and following it).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugela  /t/1525285/vixia-g30-and-g10-g20-do...xposure-for-faces-being-tracked#post_24554633

Perhaps the camera thinks a lamp does not look much like a face?

Face tracking will put a large bracketed square around the face that changes in size as you move further or closer to the subject. It will not do that with a lamp. You can manually set focus tracking to a particular point, but that is NOT face tracking. The bracket in point tracking has doubled lines. The point tracking bracket does not change size.

Check to make sure that you have face tracking on. The switch is found under /function/menu/camera settings/face detection and tracking. Make sure that is "on"

To clarify, face detection shows as a single white bracketed square around the face chosen by the camera. If I touch a face or object to "fix" on it and thereby overrule the camera, the single line changes to a double line around my choice and a Cancel box shows up at the bottom of the screen for me to use to cancel my selection and return to letting the camera choose the "face". Until I so cancel or the camera loses sight of my chosen "face," it tracks it as the face -- or the camera -- moves. But it seems that no matter whether chosen by me or the camera, the overall scene is used for exposure, not the "face" (in conflict with the manuals).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts