AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Right from the day I bought it, the vixia hf20 had image quality issues. But way back then it was better than most.

Today, if I replaced it with a r52, would I see a big difference?

If not, any other suggestions in the 300-500$ price range?

Thanks

Loa

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
There might be a small improvement but it probably won't be worth the money. Frankly, right now I wouldn't recommend any of the Canon camcorders. Their products have not significantly improved since 2012 (or even earlier for the consumer models). Most of the other leading camcorder manufacturers have more modern technology in their products than Canon does.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There might be a small improvement but it probably won't be worth the money. Frankly, right now I wouldn't recommend any of the Canon camcorders. Their products have not significantly improved since 2012 (or even earlier for the consumer models). Most of the other leading camcorder manufacturers have more modern technology in their products than Canon does.
Thanks for the info.

Any models you'd recommend that would yield a clear improvement? (In the 300-500$ range)

thanks

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Thanks for the info.

Any models you'd recommend that would yield a clear improvement? (In the 300-500$ range)
The Canon camcorders with the "HD CMOS PRO" image sensors would be an improvement over the small sensor of the HF20.

For example; HF G10, G20, HF M41.40, 400, HF M50/52/500 all have that sensor. They have a couple of these as refurbished models at the Canon Direct site.

Not sure what you're using it for, but something like a micro four thirds interchangeable lens camera will have much bigger sensors/better image quality than a camcorder,. For example Panasonic GM1, GM5, G6, GX7, GH1, GH2, GH3, GH4. The GM1 is in the $500 range, although a very small camera if that matters to you.

A good camcorder will give you farther, quieter zoom and superior image stabilization and likely better audio options, depending on the model. Camcorders tend to look like video, similar to TV/not like movies.

The bigger sensor micro four thirds will yield better low light/image quality and shallower depth of field/subject in focus with a blurry background, film look. Plus you can buy additional lenses. The camcorder lens are fixed/non-removable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello,

Thanks xfws. I did take a look at the DSLRs. I'm currently debating selling my nikon D300 and vixia hf20 and replace them both with a D7200. But while I know that the pure video quality will be great on the D7200, I know they're not as easy to work with than a dedicated camcorder.

It seems like the market just isn't right for what I want right now. Switching my DSLR (for another one or a 4/3) would be very costly, and wouldn't even be ideal. On the other hand, I don't want to spend 1000$ + on a very good camcorder.

Thanks for the info, I'll do some research on the cams you suggested.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Hello,

Thanks xfws. I did take a look at the DSLRs. I'm currently debating selling my nikon D300 and vixia hf20 and replace them both with a D7200. But while I know that the pure video quality will be great on the D7200, I know they're not as easy to work with than a dedicated camcorder.

It seems like the market just isn't right for what I want right now. Switching my DSLR (for another one or a 4/3) would be very costly, and wouldn't even be ideal. On the other hand, I don't want to spend 1000$ + on a very good camcorder.

Thanks for the info, I'll do some research on the cams you suggested.
If you really want a dedicated camcorder, you can get a refurbished Canon HF G10:
http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/c...-consumer-camcorders/vixia-hf-g10-refurbished

I saw on a deal site, apply the code POTOFGOLD at checkout, you get 20% off until March 20th...approx. $559.

The HF G10 has full manual control and a focus ring.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello,

The G10 (or 20) sounds good, but I'm not in the states. Neither the refurb or code are available in canada.

Is the sensor any different in the g10, g20 or g30?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Hello,

The G10 (or 20) sounds good, but I'm not in the states. Neither the refurb or code are available in canada.

Is the sensor any different in the g10, g20 or g30?

Thanks

The sensor on all those is HD CMOS PRO, as is the HF M50 and M500.

That Canon store ships to US only. I didn't see anything similar on Canon Canada site.

You may want to try both US and Canada ebay for refurbished models.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts