AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title says it all. I have a vizia rf dimmer and (2) of the 'matching' remote switches. Typicall 4way wiring is a 3-way on each end and a 4-way switch in the middle. Leviton diagram only shows 3-way wiring. Does any one have a wiring diagram for this? According to the leviton diagram for 3-way, the load has to go to the main dimmer and the line goes to the 'matching' switch.

I have 12/3 pulled to each of the 3 gang boxes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The main dimmer has to be at the load. Line goes into the first remote dimmer , the 12/3 from first remote to the second remote then another 12/3 from the second remote to the main dimmer. I got a lutron diagram. Let me find it. I'll send it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.len /forum/post/20901135

ww.lutron.com/TechnicalDocumentLibrary/030735b.pdf

Deeper 1 gang boxes help if you can fit them.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Yes, I have the deepest boxes they sell. They reach all the way across stud. Fortunately, this room is w/in my attic so I have access on the back side of 3 of the walls.

The link didn't open, but I'll search it out elsewhere. I'll let you know. I really want this done today so I can move forward hanging the screen.

Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Lutron Maestro's wire the neutral/white to the main dimmer, but the Leviton diagram show the neutral/white passing from the line to load w/out going into any of the switches...........

So I decided to wire it in as a 3-way for now and contact Lutron on Tuesday, just to be sure before I burn something up.

As a 3-way they work very nice. I didn't realize I would be able to dim from both locations.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes but the neutral wire depends on if you have neutral dimmers or not. They sell both. Alot of old houses were wired with out neutral wires. They would run them directly from line to load. In that case If your dimmers have neutrals you have to use them or they wouldn't work. If they don't. You just need to wire nut them straight through from line to load. like you would with the ground wire. We do both types , but non neutral dimmers we almost always use in retrofit applications.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
NOTE: The dimmer must be installed in a wall box that has a Load connection. The matching remote must be installed in a wall box with a Line Hot connection and a Neutral connection. A Neutral wire to the matching remote needs to be added as shown.

This is from the installers guide. On Lutron diagram for 4-way the load neutral ties in to the main dimmer and then wire nuts past the other three dimmers and wire nuts to the line neutral. On the Leviton diagram for 3-way, the load neutral ties into the main dimmer and the matching remote dimmer.

Both brands require the main dimmer to be on the load side.

I've got enough lights to allow me to work through the long weekend. I purchased one set of (3) to see if I liked them. I do. When I order the other (2) sets I need, I'll make sure and get some help on the diagram.

j- I'm sure you have explained it correctly, but I'm not comfortable w/o a diagram.

Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.