1 - 20 of 261 Posts

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all!

Please post just about anything on the 2016 Vizio Tablet-Remote
for the P-Series and M-Series Displays.

Likes, Dislikes, Problems, Fixes, Features, Apps, etc.

(I have the P50-C1 Display and the XR6P10 Remote/Tablet.)

Anyone from Vizio here? Jump right in!

- Pj

Current Versions:

Tablet Version: XR6P10.03.79.09.04 (Android Version [L]ollipop 5.1.1)

SmartCast App Version: 1.1.170208.657.3

Cast Version: 1.21.75378

Display Version: 3.0.12.2 Wide.

Display Version: 3.0.13.5 Going Wide - In Progress.

Google Cast Version: 1.15.7

Google Version: 6.12.25.21.arm

Chrome Version: 55.0.2883.91

Android System Web View Version: 56.0.2924.87

NetFlix Version: 4.13.2 Build 14565

Google Play Store Version: 7.4.12.L-all...

Screen Captures of the Tablet details from the 'Droid Info' App:

Droid Info - Device - Display.jpg Droid Info - System - Processor - Running - Graphics.jpg Droid Info - Memory.jpg Droid Info - Battery.jpg Droid Info - Sensors.jpg

VIZIO SmartCast Information and FAQ's
(And Firmware Info and Download Links)

Click Here To Download the Most Current TV or Display Firmware Version

If you are having problems with your
VIZIO SmartCast Home Theater Display,
please contact our Customer Support Team
for further assistance at:

844-254-8088

Mon - Fri from 7am - 11pm CST
Sat & Sun from 9am - 6pm CST

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
The best thing i like about this tablet is how easy it is to stuff in a drawer. All kidding aside i havent even opened up the box that it came in. But if others chime in and say its a must to use then i'll dust if off.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Mine doesn't really work for turning the TV on. Once it is on it works ok to control things.

I noticed last night that while using it to cast Netflix it goes to sleep and it SLOW to wake up. We wanted to skip back 30 seconds and it took me over a minute to get back in. Netflix on the tablet was no longer synced to what I had on the TV and so it didn't offer the Play/Pause/Rewind controls. Couldn't figure out how to then control what I was watching so I had to restart the episode to get the controls.

The tablet has definitely prevented me from recommending this TV to others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...How do you put the Icon on the Desk Top of the Tablet when you install a new App to it?
Touchscreen and Apps are new to me, as I never had nor do I currently have a smartphone.

Tap and hold the icon then slide it over to the left edge of the screen. It should have moved to the Home Screen area.
Be careful not to slide near the top-center pop-up 'Remove' unless you want to remove an Icon. ;)

I actually use the dozens of Apps on this Table Remote more than using it for the Display itself! :D

·
Registered
417 Posts
I plan on getting the P65 and will bite the bullet with the lousy remote (or so I've heard). With my current TV I only use the TV remote to turn the TV on/off so not too big of a deal, but would like to stream Netflix with the built in App. Do people use this or use external device (Roku) to stream just so they dont have to deal with the remote?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think, aesthetically, the tablet remote is really nice and the wireless charging dock is pretty slick. That said, I'm much more of an iOS guy and have found it far easier to just use my iPhone which gives me all the same functionality as the tablet.

I think if there is any oversight on Vizio's part, it is that there are still a lot of people (especially of a certain age bracket, no offense) not totally familiar with tablets and smartphones and the 'remote' is really not a remote, it is a full-on Android tablet and there is very little in the way of guard rails for novice users. Once you exit out of the Vizio remote app, you are pretty much on your own which is great for users who know their way around a tablet, but I imagine it's confusing as hell to anyone who is not familiar with them.

To me, it's a cool bonus...

·
Registered
139 Posts
My problem is I cant find all of the apps I have downloaded LOL to touch and drag. I am sure its easy and will feel like a fool when I find them :)

Touchscreen and Apps are new to me, as I never had nor do I currently have a smartphone.

Tap and hold the icon then slide it over to the left edge of the screen. It should have moved to the Home Screen area.
Be careful not to slide near the top-center pop-up 'Remove' unless you want to remove an Icon. ;)

I actually use the dozens of Apps on this Table Remote more than using it for the Display itself! :D

·
Registered
139 Posts
I think I fit that category

I think, aesthetically, the tablet remote is really nice and the wireless charging dock is pretty slick. That said, I'm much more of an iOS guy and have found it far easier to just use my iPhone which gives me all the same functionality as the tablet.

I think if there is any oversight on Vizio's part, it is that there are still a lot of people (especially of a certain age bracket, no offense) not totally familiar with tablets and smartphones and the 'remote' is really not a remote, it is a full-on Android tablet and there is very little in the way of guard rails for novice users. Once you exit out of the Vizio remote app, you are pretty much on your own which is great for users who know their way around a tablet, but I imagine it's confusing as hell to anyone who is not familiar with them.

To me, it's a cool bonus...

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine doesn't really work for turning the 'TV' on. Once it is on it works ok to control things.

...Cast Netflix - it goes to sleep and it SLOW to wake up.

We wanted to skip back 30 seconds and it took me over a minute to get back in.

Netflix on the Tablet was no longer synced to what I had on the 'TV'
and so it didn't offer the Play/Pause/Rewind controls.

Psst. It's not a 'TV'. It's a "TunerLess, 4K/UHD, Home Theatrical Display Device." :D

I haven't watched much at with NetFlix, but will try it again. So far, seemed to play fine. Any App with a 'Cast' button icon plays ok for me. It's just anything else, like some of the major sports Apps that do not have the 'Cast' button feature, and must be played to the P-Series Display by 'Casting' the whole Tablet to the to P-Display plays jerky. :(

The SmartCast App was recently updated. It handles the on/off of the P-Display better, but I find if I turn-off a device input... and the P-Display then auto-offs, then trying to turning the P-Display back on via the Tabby doesn't work. :rolleyes:

I think the on/off works ok as long as you turn the P-Display on/off with Tabby, not the Basic Remote. I'll have to test it since the update if the Basic Remote interaction is better or not.

The Sleep function is adjustable, but I'll try it and NetFlix and see what happens.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think I fit that category
My advice is to spend time with the tablet and tinker around with it and don't look at it solely as a remote, but more of a freestanding media device. There is a LOT you can do with it, far beyond controlling the TV.

They are not terribly hard to figure out (both my 60+ y/o parents know their way around their iPhones now), just need to get used to it. Once you have a better understanding of its full capabilities, you will see just what a powerful device it really can be -- especially in regards to how it interacts with the display.

The really cool thing is, for all the apps you can throw over to the display, you can watch the same content right on the tablet itself. Take it to another room, sit by the pool, bring it on a plane, etc. It is so much better than a stand alone remote in that regard, but those benefits are not going to be obvious to some people right from the get go.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My problem is I cant find all of the apps I have downloaded LOL to touch and drag.

I am sure its easy and will feel like a fool when I find them :)

Swipe to the Left to bring up the next 'page' at the right. As Apps fill-up one screen, another is added and you'll see added 'dots' near the bottom of the screen above the 5 main Icons (SmartCast, Google, All-App-Display, Tablet Settings, and the Google Play Store Icon). Below that, are the 'Back Arrow', 'Home-Screen Circle', and 'Overlapping Tile Square' Icons.

I have four 'dots' above the main navigation Icons. That is, 3 others dots = 3 other pages of App Icons.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I figured it out. Hit the white round Icon in the center of the apps on the lowest part of the screen :)

Swipe to the Left to bring up the next 'page' at the right. As Apps fill-up one screen, another is added and you'll see added 'dots' near the bottom of the screen above the 5 main Icons (SmartCast, Google, All-App-Display, Tablet Settings, and the Google Play Store Icon). Below that, are the 'Back Arrow', 'Home-Screen Circle', and 'Overlapping Tile Square' Icons.

I have four 'dots' above the main navigation Icons. That is, 3 others dots = 3 other pages of App Icons.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Mine doesn't really work for turning the TV on. Once it is on it works ok to control things.

I noticed last night that while using it to cast Netflix it goes to sleep and it SLOW to wake up. We wanted to skip back 30 seconds and it took me over a minute to get back in. Netflix on the tablet was no longer synced to what I had on the TV and so it didn't offer the Play/Pause/Rewind controls. Couldn't figure out how to then control what I was watching so I had to restart the episode to get the controls.

The tablet has definitely prevented me from recommending this TV to others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why not download the app on your phone, and that's not a good reason to not recommend the display.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have the M-series, a slightly lower level tablet; less memory, lower resolution. That said, the P-Series may be much improved over the M-series...but my version's touch screen (Capacitive sensing, pressure sensitive part) is the worst I've used in 10+ years. The sensitivity and accuracy is horrible compared to any modern touch screen, I've used mostly iOS devices going back to the iPhone 4 but I used a couple Android devices as well (family, friends)

I loaded the Smartcast app on my iPhone and iPad and it's wonderful to use, it's responsive, accurate, but I only use it to make display adjustments and cast Youtube 4K demo videos, otherwise Harmony does everything else. I think it should be an option ($50), I didn't need yet another tablet and I suspect most people buying one of the 2016 displays already has one or three that will work. If Vizio had actually integrated the app to leverage the device, I might sing a different tune but for me it's an inferior tablet I didn't need at all.

I've had zero issues with it or iOS devices remaining sync'd with display. I would suspect wifi issues if I did.

·
Registered
76 Posts
IMHO Chromecast is garbage and that's being generous. I do IT and am no stranger to technology.

I've had one for the past few years, one of the original devices to add smart functionality to an old Plasma. With Android, it was a mediocre experience at best and junk at most things. Controlling content with your phone is God-Awful painful and was pretty unreliable.

Compare this flow with Chromecast to do something on Netflix:
1. Open Netflix app.
2. Navigate and find the show.
3. Turn on TV and set to input.
3. Start show and hit the cast button to pick the device to cast to.
4. Want to pause? Unlock the phone, hope the Netflix app is up, find the pause button and press.
5. Want to unpause? Unlock the phone, hope the Netflix app is up, find the pause button and press.

Compare that to Roku/AppleTV/ Firestick:
1. Turn on TV and set to input.
2. Turn on device and fire up app.
3. Find sho and press play.
4. Want to pause? Press Play/Pause
5. Want to unpause? Press Play/Pause

Chromercast/Googlecast is just a horrible experience and something while I get why Vizio included it is a poor experience.

While I don't own the M or P series, I do have an E-series with the Googlecast built in and use the Vizio app with my iPhone. The technology wouldn't prevent me from recommending it but the tablet could be so much better - they could have put an IR emitter in it and loaded some universal remote software. That would be great and really extend its functionality.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Compare that to Roku/AppleTV/ Firestick:
IMO, that is exactly the point. All those platforms are far superior to any smart TV interface I've ever had (w/ exception of a Roku powered set like my TCL). They all end up being outdated, sluggish, and non-supported after a short while.

I think Vizio was smart enough to realize there is no point in trying to keep supporting a built-in interface with so many better alternatives out there, but could throw in casting which can be supported with minimal updates on their side.

·
Registered
76 Posts
IMO, that is exactly the point. All those platforms are far superior to any smart TV interface I've ever had (w/ exception of a Roku powered set like my TCL). They all end up being outdated, sluggish, and non-supported after a short while.

I think Vizio was smart enough to realize there is no point in trying to keep supporting a built-in interface with so many better alternatives out there, but could throw in casting which can be supported with minimal updates on their side.
My 2012 Apple TV Still works perfectly - snappy, compatible, and most importantly very easy to use. My 2014 Chromecast is practically in the trash as it's hard to use, and very user un-friendly.

They would have been better to follow in Sony's lead and build in Android. Then you could use the regular Android apps and have a better experience than casting nonsense.

Like I said, I own an E-series with GoogleCast built in. I've used it all of 2 times as it's as I remembered - very clunky. Great for the bedroom set where casting is not a primary function. To use that day to day like we do our Apple TV would be infuriating.

Visio could have pitched the tablet much better - as a Harmony replacement. That would have been great - use the tablet as the interface to your TV, DVD, Cable Box, etc. Maybe in 2017 they will get it better. Still a fine set and a fine company but the Tablet and casting features wouldn't be a star reason to buy the set.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The best thing I like about this tablet is how easy it is to stuff in a drawer.

All kidding aside I haven't even opened up the box that it came in.

But, if others chime in and say its a must to use, then I'll dust if off.

Hi, Mark.

You must be satisfied with the Preset Pic Modes. Are you using Calibrated and/or Calibrated Dark?

For Custom Pic mode setups/adjustments, the Remote Tablet is required.

I already have a number of Custom Picture Modes, such as 'Rich Sepia' for B&W content, 'Dim/Photography' for taking pictures or when I'm listening more than watching something. (I want the 'Blank Screen' feature back!!!:mad:)

With the previous P-50 I had, I could do pic adjustments and such without wearing my prescription glasses. Now, I must wear my reading glasses every time I use the Tablet.

·
Registered
49 Posts
For Custom Pic mode setups/adjustments, the Remote Tablet is required.
The Vizio 'SmartCast' app -- which is what you use for all the remote control functionality on the tablet -- is also available on iOS and Android devices, so you can do all the same stuff right on your smartphone and never even have to use their included tablet. I think that was what he was trying to say. :)

1 - 20 of 261 Posts