AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, when watching non blu ray DVDs, sometimes when there is a closeup of someones face and they have long eye lashes and they blink while moving their head, I notice a slight blur that goes right over their eyes..

why is this happening, in particular with certain movements such as blinking, or head movements?

Has anyone experienced this before,

and should I return this television, or is it just a setting ?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have the 55" model and I have noticed some "risidual" image effects in scenes with dark colors... For Example... Somebody with black hair walking in front of dark colored walls... but ONLY on DVR material. Live Satellite never does it, even watching the same scene from the same show. My understanding is that those situations have a lot to due with the source material....

What movie were you watching??? Does your BluRau play perform DVD upconversin to 1080p? It might be the way your DVD/BluRay player is upscaling that scene... Do you have another DVD player or BluRay player you can test that exact same scene with??? I have never seen a "blur" watching BluRays... ever... I have a PS3 for watching BluRay and DVD.

Is it a "blur", or does it looks like the previous frame of the eye blinking seems to lag for an exra split second? (that's what I see on DVR... but very very seldom, and not every show on DVR either)

I was able to correct that problem (when it occasionally shows up), by turning OFF the motion smoothing. I think by default... Motion Smoothing is On for every setting on the TV. I leave it on for almost everything becuase it actually smooths out the video for me. The Real Cinema setting is the one that makes it look like video, or a soap opera., you may also want to play with that setting as well.... I just got mine a few weeks ago and I am still playing with all the options to get things just right!

One more thing that might help... You will notice that each input has several "picture" options (Normal, Game, Movie, football, basketball, etc). Take in mind that each input has it's own memory for EACH of those settings.... So if you get "Normal" just right and set perfectly to your liking on HDMI1... rememeber that the "Normal" setting for HDMI2 will still be at the factory defaults....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a glitch in the eye blinking, its hard to describe its like it happens so fast that the tv cant keep up with it.. im not sure really its almots like the eyelashes are hitting the television screen and making it distorted for a very very brief moment, but its still noticeable.. and I havent noticed it on BluRay..

I was saying when I was playing non blurays .. so far last two i played was Unforgiven (Clint Eastwood) and Sopranos Season 5 disc 4..

I will try the settings thing and changing out the DVD players..

it probably isnt my HDMI cable right?

·
Registered
54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_chiggin /forum/post/20901673

Its a glitch in the eye blinking, its hard to describe its like it happens so fast that the tv cant keep up with it.. im not sure really its almots like the eyelashes are hitting the television screen and making it distorted for a very very brief moment, but its still noticeable.. and I havent noticed it on BluRay..

I was saying when I was playing non blurays .. so far last two i played was Unforgiven (Clint Eastwood) and Sopranos Season 5 disc 4..

I will try the settings thing and changing out the DVD players..

it probably isnt my HDMI cable right?

Not likely to be the HDMI cable... Transmission of data across HDMI is digital... either your device is communicating, or it's not... The only time you might run into a problem is if you are using a really cheap cable over 25 feet or more distance.... And then, theoretically, you would see the audio and/or video signal drop out completely from time to time or altogether... Digital communication is either connected... or it's not... that's just the way it works.

I would say that since you don't see that effect on your BluRay movies, it's probably just the way your player is handling the DVD upscaling.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
The Digital HDMI signal is transmitted using analog square wave pulses for "1s" and no pulse for "zeros" and the shape of the pulses detererates for longer cables, for thin wire(high gauge) cables, and for poorly shielded cables which can cause the pulses to not be detected causing errors.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJamaX /forum/post/20902607

I would say that since you don't see that effect on your BluRay movies, it's probably just the way your player is handling the DVD upscaling.

UPDATE:

I also see the weird lines through the eyes blinking when watching regular television........

I am going to buy a "nice quality" HDMI cable JUST to test , and see if its still doing it..

if it is, im ordering a replacement.. if I see it on the replacement - im returning it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hi, I think I have a very similar problem, albeit on a different TV. Is what you're talking about a sort of ghosting/smearing effect? Like something dark moves and it leaves a sort of trail or after image? Because I also have this issue on my Samsung. I think it has to do with the internal processing of the TV, possibly the panel, because like you I don't notice the effect on everything.

·
Registered
54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerick99 /forum/post/20910714

Hi, I think I have a very similar problem, albeit on a different TV. Is what you're talking about a sort of ghosting/smearing effect? Like something dark moves and it leaves a sort of trail or after image? Because I also have this issue on my Samsung. I think it has to do with the internal processing of the TV, possibly the panel, because like you I don't notice the effect on everything.

I have seen what you are describing on my Vizio... For example... somebody with black hair walks in front of a dark wall and you see a trail (maybe two or three frames) of that persons head as they move across the screen.

I ONLY see this when I watch something on DVR, and not all the time. Not sure what the problem is. However, I can watch the same episode being delivered live and it doesn't do it, I would say it's a source material problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.