AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I set up my LCD and Time Warner DVR with component cables things were fine. But when I plugged in the HDMI and turned on the tv, the screen has a green tint. I usually have to flip a few channels and then it will go back to normal. I think I'm noticing a trend that the green tint only goes away when I switch from HD to regular or vice versa.

I had two HDMI cables sent from monoprice and both have the same problem- so I don't think it's one faulty cable. Not sure if it's something with the tv, or the Time Warner Cable Box, or the HDMI cables... has anyone else ever had this problem?

Thanks for any advice or help.

·
Registered
92 Posts
A green tint could mean one of your signal pairs has an sketchy connection through your HDMI connector. Since the color signals are component digital (Y Cb Cr) you are probably losing your Cr (red) connection and thus the green tint.

When it does this try to gently wiggle the HDMI cable at each end where it connects into the equipment and see if the green tint disappears.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I probably didn't explain as well as I should have. When it initially turns on, it's got a green tint. But then when I go from an HD channel to a non-HD or vice versa, the picture I guess recognizes something or reboots and it's completely normal. no green tint after that... just upon startup. Do you think it has something to do with the cable box, tthe tv, or the cables?

·
Registered
269 Posts
It could also be the STB sending the video in the wrong color space (YCbCr vs. RGB), and it resets itself to the right color space when you change the channels. If the behavior can be consistently fixed by your channel switching, then I would say it's less likely a mechanical problem and more something to do with the color space. You may want to give your cable company a call and let them know in case it is something that can be addressed by the STB- it's helpful for them to get a log of such issues so that it can be corrected in future firmware.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem with TWC's Explorer 8300 going into my Toshiba 52HM84. It was working fine for several months, then all of a sudden, started getting that horrible green tint when powering on. Don't know what happened, I assumed that TWC downloaded some sort of patch or upgrade to the box.

The solution was to turn on the TV first, then the cable box. So much for single button power on. Later, I went back to Toshiba's TV manual and found:
To ensure that the HDMI or DVI device is reset

properly, it is recommended that you follow

these procedures:

When turning on your electronic components,

turn on the TV first, and then the HDMI or

DVI device.

When turning off your electronic components,

turn off the HDMI or DVI device first, and

then the TV.

Since that time, I changed to AT&T's u-Verse with the Motorola 1216 set-top, and have had no problems, thus verifying my suspicion that it was the Explorer.

Hope this helps..

·
Registered
269 Posts
This makes sense because some source devices with less robust firmware have issues with timing out with HDCP authentication or other handshakes when the TV is off. Technically, all sources should attempt to authenticate HDCP indefinitely as the spec requires, but there are some devices that will timeout this process, thus requiring the source to be power cycled in order to force it to re-authenticate.

Or you can just make sure the TV is turned on before the source as this TV manufacturer suggests.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also have the 47" Vizio 1080p LCD Tv. I have this exact same problem.. The first time it happend I was playing Xbox360 via RGB connector. I had been playing for about 30 mins before the green tint appeared. I then turned off the TV, turned it back on and the green tint was still there. Turned it back off for about 5 mins, it was gone. A few day's later I was watching an HD station over an HD antenna and it did it again. I played with the color options under the menu screen and the green tint went away. If I exchanged for the same TV, will I experience the same problems?? Is there a way to fix this?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.