AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As with the majority of posts, this is another one of those: "I CAN'T DECIDE" posts. Here's what I have and what I'm trying to do.

I currently have a Hitachi 51UWX20B CRT/RPTV. It's about 6-7 years old. Professionally calibrated and actually still looks really good. But; almost everything thing I've read; including forum posts; most people say that even though my CRT/RPTV is at the top of it's game and couldn't look much better; that a newer model LCD/Plasma would still be a really good improvement. Here I am asking about LCD. I will ask the same question however in the Plasma forum or the Flat Panel generic forum.

Now; contrary to what some people say about size; I sit between 12-14 feet away, and the current 51" is great. Could it be nicer if it was bigger? Probably. But it's not a problem. So; here's the LCD choices I've come up with. First; let me say that I'm not impressed with the Sony's at all. Especially for the price. Mitsubishi is definitely a PRICE HOG. Sharp's black level sucks (Unless you get into the uber high model range. Still not that great).

So; I like the idea of the LN52A650. I like the picture on it. The price is a little high; but I can get it for about $1899.99. I've read/heard that the quality of the picture on it and the 750/850 are pretty much the same. You're just paying extra for nice things on the higher models that I don't need.

The other choice; from what I've read and the great price; is the Vizio 47" XVT. Now I've never really been a low budget manufacturer buyer, but the XVT seems to definitely have so good things about it. The $600 difference in price is also compelling. I'm really concerned however if going from the 51" CRT/RPTV to a 47" is going to seem drastic? Also; it appears Vizio is coming out with a 55" 240hz model in the summer. I really hat to wait; because it is a "BIG BOY TOY" and I'm impatient; but I also do want to buy something I will really regret.

Thanks for any suggestions. I will be asking a similar question about The Vizio 50" plasma model compared to the Panasonic 85 and 800u models. Thanks again. Mike.....

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I think you'll very likely prefer the Sammy over the Vizio. Go check 'em out in-store.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Comparing a Vizio to a Samsung is like comparing a Ford Focus to a Toyota Camry. Different TVs for different markets. If you care about quality and you have the extra money then the choice should be clear.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
There's a saying: if it's too good to be true, it usually is. In the world of electronics, this statement is almost prophetic.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
the 47xvt is a solid model, very nice picture, has excellent reviews both professional and user. The Samsung is also a very nice model. Both have solid in home warranties.

Go check them out in person, don't be afraid to ask for the remote and play with some settings and see if the Samsung is worth the extra $600. IMHO it's not but to some they don't care about price and just want a Samsung. But the best way to decide is to go and see for yourself. Remember its your money and your eyes not ours and your should be the deciding factor not us. Either way I'm sure you'll be very happy with either choice.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd /forum/post/15528301

the 47xvt is a solid model, very nice picture, has excellent reviews both professional and user. The Samsung is also a very nice model. Both have solid in home warranties.

Go check them out in person, don't be afraid to ask for the remote and play with some settings and see if the Samsung is worth the extra $600. IMHO it's not but to some they don't care about price and just want a Samsung. But the best way to decide is to go and see for yourself. Remember its your money and your eyes not ours and your should be the deciding factor not us. Either way I'm sure you'll be very happy with either choice.

Thanks for the info all. I understand comparing the Vizio and the Samsung is comparing 2 totally different companies. But as you pointed out; is the Sammy 650 worth the extra $600. And that's getting the 650 on sale. Most times, the 650 is closer to $1000 difference. A lot can be said for a $600-$1000 difference in price. The ONLY real thing that has me a little concerned with the Vizio is the size. I currently have a 51"; the sammy is a 52". No big difference. But the vizio is a 47". Not sure if the 4" less is going to be a big deal at 12 feet away. I really liked the idea of the 55" vizio XVT; but it's around $1999; plus I can't find it available; plus for pretty much the same price as the sammy, it almost becomes a now brainer to take the sammy because of reputation and known quality. Well, I guess I have some more thinking to do. thanks again..... mike.....

P.S. I appreciate the recommendation on the 52xv545u; however; that takes the price right back to that of the Sammy 650. And according to just about every forum, post, review, etc... the sammy 650 seems to be the benchmark in that price range. To do better; you're looking at the XBR and similar. But for the 52" range, the sammy seems to be where people aim at. The main reason for looking at the Vizio is because it's their new attempt at 120hz; excellent reviews compared to their other models; an American company (even if they use sammy/sony parts, they still have american employees) and it is $600-$1000 cheaper.

·
Registered
302 Posts
^^^^^ im sick of people dissing American car companies...they make a great product...but people are just so influenced by others that they are positive that they make bad products...sure in 90's they weren't doing so well, but they have really turned it around...sorry for the off topic

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not really off topic. I did say that 1 of the reasons I was looking into the Vizio is because IT IS AN American company. I do prefer to buy American. However; in the world of electronics; it's a little different. 1) Most of the parts aren't made in the USA. 2) Brands like Samsung, Panasonic, and Sony are by far usually a much higher quality. 3) These types of companies AREN'T OWNED by an individual person. They are owned by stock holders. So; if you own stock, have an IRA; or have a 401K; then there's a good chance that you own part of these companies. Same with the oil companies and such. So, what's good for these companies is good for the American consumer/citizen. As for American Car companies; there's nothing wrong with them. I have a Ford Focus; Ford F-250; Ford Explorer; and Ford Mustang. I also have a 2003 Toyota Camry. I have no problem with Toyota because the company is in the USA; parts are made in the USA; it's assembled in the USA; it employs American workers; and it's serviced by Americans. Matter of fact; there is more AMERICAN about a toyota than there is about a Ford, GM, or Chrysler which has a lot more made in Mexico, Canada, etc... And again; if you have a 401K, IRA, etc.... you own part of these companies anyway.

But as for the Vizio television. I am still as a crossroad in my decision. I'd like the 55"; however; for the price of $1799-$1999; that is pretty much the same price as the Sammy 52" 650 which is probably a lot higher quality. At least it's a KNOWN quality. Then there's the Panasonic TH-50PZ85u plasma. It's in the $1599 range. Then there's the 47" Vizio XVT for $1298 I think at Sam's Club. What a decision. The 55" doesn't seem practical. So; I've at least narrowed it down to the 47" vizio XVT LCD; the 50" Panny 85u plasma; or the Sammy 52" 650 LCD. All $300 higher respectfully. Things that make you go hmmmmmm. Later... mike....

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Vizio is majority owned by a Taiwanese holding company. It's about as American as Sony and Samsung are. Their TVs are made the same places all other TVs are, that is, the People's Republic of China and/or Mexico. Buying a Vizio because it's "American" is like shopping at Wal-Mart because it's an "American" store. 99% of stuff Wal-Mart sells is made in China too.

Buy the TV which is right for you, and forget the political nationalistic crap.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Unfortunately I live in BFE. I don't have a costco here. I only have Sams, Walmart, Circuit City, Sears, and Target.

As for the Vizio American thing. I don't care if they are majority overseas owned or not. They do have a company in the united states that employs americans. Yes, I do shop at walmart from time to time. However; there I have a choice of what merchandise I buy. If I don't have to buy imported, I try not to. Vizio has their sets assembled in China. No problem. But they are still maintained here. But that is way off the path of the original question. That is not the primary reason for which tv I buy. Nor do I want this subject to go there. I have a Hitachi, Panasonic, Sony, Polaroid, and Phillips in my house. The Hitachi and Panny are more towards the higher end. The others are just average consumer sets.

So; the question still comes down to Vizio 47" XVT [email protected] $1298; Panny 50" 85u plasma @ $1599; Sammy 52" 650 @ $1899; or Panny 50" 800u plasma @ $2200. Definitely gets confusing. thanks.... mike......

·
Registered
1,909 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceless Rebel /forum/post/15530216

Vizio is majority owned by a Taiwanese holding company. It's about as American as Sony and Samsung are. Their TVs are made the same places all other TVs are, that is, the People's Republic of China and/or Mexico. Buying a Vizio because it's "American" is like shopping at Wal-Mart because it's an "American" store. 99% of stuff Wal-Mart sells is made in China too.

Buy the TV which is right for you, and forget the political nationalistic crap.

AmTran the Taiwanese company you speak of owns 24% Holding share, hardly a majority. But yes they do have parntership in which Amtran does assemble their TV's but is also part owner, which is a good thing. AmTran is a very fast rising and respected Electronics Company in Eastern Asia.

But with Vizio, their executives, advertising/marketing and support staff is all American, right down to the people in the mail room. When you call for information or service you are calling California, not India like you do for Samsung etc.

Also take a look around your own house at all your products, how many of your products say made in China? Heck, my Sony remote is made is China.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lazyman; thanks for the link. Unfortunately; that Samsung looks like a step backwards from where I want to go. One of the biggest issues I have/had with the Vizio is that it's a 47". That's already smaller than my 51" RPTV I have currently. I'm thinking that might be an issue. To go with a 46" is getting smaller. There also seems to be a major step up from the 500 series to the 650/750/850 series. It also seems that even the vizio is a step up. Anyway; I appreciate the input. But I definitely don't want to start going backwards from where I am. I want to upgrade and I'm not sure that the 46" 500 series samsung is going in the right direction. Thanks... mike...

·
Registered
82 Posts
The Vizio is a nice budget set with many great features. However it's picture doesn't compare favorably to any of the other televisions you mentioned. The 650 and the 800u are two of the highest rated televisions in their respective technologies. Having compared all the models you mentioned I'd pick the 650 in a heartbeat the price difference is well justified in both size and image quality. The only potential drawback is the glossy screen. Many feel that it is a great benefit while others see it as a detriment. I'm in the former category.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Christcorp,

Your overriding decision must be what SIZE do you want...then you can make a valid cost and quality comparison among like items.

Saying the Samsung 52 inch is a lot more expensive than the 47 inch Vizio is pretty much meaningless; you're comparing apples and oranges. If you can live with a 47 incher, then comparing the Vizio with a 46 inch Samsung is the choice you're faced with and the price differential will not be huge.

If you determine that 47 inch is too small, then it doesn't matter WHAT the Vizio sells for, it's not the set for you.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I agree. Size is an issue. Because of the price difference however; I am/was willing to entertain the vizio 47" XVT because of many of the good reviews. However; there has to be a point where certain standards are set and NOT compromised. And then, only under certain conditions. So let's say that the 47" is the bottom condition. That I will not go below that under ANY circumstances. And that I will only go that small under CERTAIN conditions. I'd LOVE to go >55"; but that means either much more money than I'm willing to spend, or changing technology and going with a DLP.

Because it's only a $300 difference; I tend to lean more towards the Panasonic TH50PZ85u plasma over the Vizio. If however LCD seems to be the better choice for me; (Still deciding on that. Lighting, Angle of view, etc... are not issues I worry about. I have total control over the environment); then for LCD it seems to be a choice of the Vizio 47" XVT LCD @ $1298 or the Samsung LN52A650 52" LCD @ $1899. Trying to justify the $600 difference. Just like I have decided that it's PROBABLY not worth the $600 difference to go from the Panasonic TH50PZ85u to the higher TH50PZ800u plasmas.

I know that deep down inside, that the Samsung LN52A650 LCD is a BETTER Television than the vizio 47" XVT. It's just a matter of if it's $600 BETTER. When I start considering OTHER LCD's to the Samsung 650, I then get back to where the Panny Plasma is probably a better choice. I.e. Sharp, Philips, 500 series sammy, etc... don't come close to the 650 series for such little price difference. Thanks... Mike....

·
Registered
78 Posts
i'll make this simple for you as I went down the same road. Yes, the 650 samsung is $600 better than the 47" XVT Vizio. Not sure why so many people like XVT as it washes out horribly on off-angle viewing, my girlfriend noticed it also immediately when we were looking at them in Costco. Plus, 47" is too small from 14 feet, you will regret going that small GUARANTEED and end up boxing the damn thing up and hauling it back to the store.

If lighting is not an issue, go with a 50" Plasma like the Panasonic PX-80. At 14 feet, you wont be able to tell the difference between 720P and 1080 anyway, plus they are only $999 delivered through Amazon, and the picture is excellent...I own one. If lighting is an issue, go with the Samsung 52 650. It's that simple...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts