AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently porchased the Vizio 550M LCD. Very impressed with the ease of set-up, the quaility of the picture and the great price point from Target. Did begin to notice a noise interference line at the top of the screen on certain channels. Mostly SD, but ESPN and ESPN2, it slso showed up. Very distracting like missing pixels, kind of a chopped white and black line about 1/4inch thick. Could get rid of it by going to Zoom 1 which I did. However, the Zoom mode does blows the picture up a bit, and after a few weeks returned for full refund. Now back to square 1. Any others experience this with this model Viz?

note: When connected with straight cable signal, no issues, through HD set top box, the problem surfaces. Did swap boxes, no change and Comcast tech was baffled..

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Did your set have the vertical height controls?

The line at the top is a common issue with Vizios, but can be eliminated with a click or two of the vertical height control on the set.

I have a 42" Vizio that had this issue - only on a few channels. Two clicks solved it.

·
Registered
265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniecash /forum/post/18216139

Tried that no luck

I set my vert to 23 to make it disappear.

·
Registered
477 Posts
It's a problem with the design of some Vizio television sets. Depending on the input and resolution, the Vizio will display the entire image without overscan. Normally this is a good thing for image quality, except when the edges of the image contain noise or other encoding that you don't want to see. Most of the other manufactures include a dedicated mild overscan option to easily address noise or other defects on the edges of the image, but for some odd reason, not Vizio.

The lack of a dedicated overscan view setting is specifically mentioned in a number of reviews of Vizio sets, with the reviewers noting the difficulties that may be encountered trying to deal with display issues on the edges of images.

The Zoom option as you mention, cuts off too much of the image. So you have two other options:

1) Use the manual controls to move the image up or down, left or right, in an attempt to hide one or two edges of the image. But this will not work if you have edge distortion on opposing sides of the image, as you can only hide one edge. Nor is it a perfect solution, since the image will now be slightly off center, and do you want to have to keep manually adjusting back and forth, depending on the channel you are watching? Not an elegant solution.

2) Use the manual controls to resize the image, effectively introducing the overscan that Vizio should have included as an option. Problem is the image size controls only work under certain circumstances, according to one of the user manuals, only for HDMI input. And again, if you set the overscan, do you want to then have to manually reset for the other channels or sources?

In summary, I like the latest Vizio sets but the lack of easy overscan option gives me some concern. I was at Walmart the other day, and the feed had some image noise on the top and bottom of the image. All the sets were able to easily hide the noise by flipping on the dedicated overscan, except for the Vizio. There was no way to hide the distortion. I plan on viewing video from many sources and different quality levels (SD and HD), and I am concerned I will be stuck with video edge noise, with no convenient way to hide it.

I really don't understand why Vizio did not include a dedicated mild overscan option like some other manufacturers, it seems like a bit of a miss on their part. Then again, if you read through these pages, seems like there is no perfect TV out there, so pick your poison

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
My experience is the same as Aydu's.

I have a Vizio 550 and was able to eliminate the 'blanking signal" or other non video content above the video content of some channels as received by my Cable company digital PVR STB using the Vertical Size and Vertical Centering options.

JohnnieC, When you tried them while watching one of the problem channel broadcasts what effect did you notice?

·
Registered
1,909 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniecash /forum/post/18222938

no change

which H/V setting are you attemptin to change? You want the one that says "V-Position" "V-size" wont work.

using the "V-Position" should do the trick. about three or four click to the right (up) should take care of it.

but what you are seeing is closed captioning info.

I wouldn't automatically say it's a design flaw. I actually kind of like it better this way you can control how much over scan you want.

Though I do agree a dedicated button for it would be a nice touch but it's not a deal breaker by any means

but yeah try that and see what happens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts