AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The Pictures are from my Son's DVD where on a very bright white screen numerous bright spots can be found.  These spots are almost never visible during regular shows (news, sports when colors change frequently).  Trouble is I can't identify it as dead or stuck.  I think this is beyond my comprehension as this point.  I attached a few pictures for review.  Please help!

Any help  would be very much appreciated because I am out of warranty!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Very well known issue. I have the same. They get larger and more numerous over time. My guess (purely a guess) is an adhesion defect in a light diffusion coating applied to the back of the LCD panel. If I get up fairly close to the panel and look straight at the white spots head on I can see that they are clear with bright LED light showing through. When the LCD color pixels become active, the defect is not as obvious. But with gray or almost white screens you see what your pictures show.

Argh about the warranty.

Reactions: mnich0803

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I think that's as good a guess as anyone could come up with!  Looks like we are stuck with this issue for good then.  I guess I will have to live with it!  I find it is livable when watching TV on the regular.   I agree that the spots become more numerous as time goes on (maybe the adhesion getting worse like you mentioned).  What I wonder is if the spots start becoming visible on dark or colored screens where they are not visible now?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I also wonder about if the sun light through my window across from the TV in the mornings could be warming up the coating adhesion and causing this?  If the adhesion isn't the best as you suggest then who's to say that environmental factors could not be at work here making the adhesion worse?

·
Registered
898 Posts
You should try calling Vizio anyways, what do you have to lose. As for the sun, I had 2 tvs get the spots & the sun never hit them. I also have seen a few in stores tha had a lot of spots, nowhere near windows or doors.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Initially I saw NO spots. Then within a month I saw one, but only when very close up. Then 5 or 6 more over a couple of weeks. Then more in another area of the screen. I've had the TV less than 3 months and now I can see some of the spots from 10-12 feet away with light white/gray viewing material. So, most of the time they are not visible with regular viewing material. It's easy to ignore. But because of it, the set, which I otherwise really like, is going back to Costco. I used to never buy extended warranties on electronic products, as most failures of such products occurred early on and I've never had a TV fail, and these warranties where just big money makers for the vendors. Well...the extra year of coverage from Costco (as well as their 90 day easy return policy) was a decision maker for me when I shopped for this TV. And AMEX adds another year of coverage if you charge it with that card.

Good luck with Vizio. They definitely have been made aware of this problem and have replaced sets under warranty, only requiring some pictures that demonstrate it. I heard they require some full screen shots (so, from a distance) with "regular" viewing material, so it can be hard to demonstrate in photos.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

The frustrating thing is this actually happened twice to me but no one at Vizio would tell me what it was.  I bought my first TV in November 2012 direct from Vizio then I noticed these spots getting worse on my sons DVD that we watch (has bright screens).  So eventually I got fed-up and called Vizio, jumped through hoops and they replaced it.  Same thing happened in the same time frames with TV number 2!  I guess those little white dots are going to be my friend for a very long long time!  just hope they don't become visible during regular viewing!  You are right about bringing it back to Costco.  I like that they offer the extended, I just hope the same doesn't happen to you with the repeat dots.. Maybe ask them to change the model or size?  My friend just bought the 60" E version of this TV and he has had no problems!  I also looked on this forum and the 60" version dosen't have any references to bright spots.  Seems like its a 70" issue!

·
Registered
898 Posts
Like I said above call Vizio. When I got my 2nd replacement early january (so therefore TV #3) I said my 1 year is up on feb 7 so what happens if this one gets them & Vizio said they would not leave me hanging since it happened twice already even if the warranty is up so call them, you have nothing to lose but some white spots.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I did call and they told me I am out of warranty!  They told me that unless I was within the 1 year that they could not assist me.  I explained this is a recurring issue and gave the the prior case #!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Same exact issue here. I rarely buy warranties on electronics, but 2k is a lot out of my budget, so I bought the 3 year warranty from Sam's Club for $129.

When talking to Vizio they wanted me to send pics, but I couldn't get any spots to show up using my iPhone. They sent a tech out to take pics of the screen & serial # (inside & out) Thursday. The only response I've gotten so far is an automated email from Sam's Customer Resolution telling me the good news that my TV has been fixed! I think I'll link this thread & the others I'm sure are on here once they respond to my email.

What I found interesting when talking to Vizio was both people I talked to acted like they had never heard of this problem.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnich0803  /t/1520157/vizio-70-e701i-a3-smart-...els-on-very-bright-screens-only#post_24422280

The frustrating thing is this actually happened twice to me but no one at Vizio would tell me what it was.  I bought my first TV in November 2012 direct from Vizio then I noticed these spots getting worse on my sons DVD that we watch (has bright screens).  So eventually I got fed-up and called Vizio, jumped through hoops and they replaced it.  Same thing happened in the same time frames with TV number 2!  I guess those little white dots are going to be my friend for a very long long time!  just hope they don't become visible during regular viewing!  You are right about bringing it back to Costco.  I like that they offer the extended, I just hope the same doesn't happen to you with the repeat dots.. Maybe ask them to change the model or size?  My friend just bought the 60" E version of this TV and he has had no problems!  I also looked on this forum and the 60" version dosen't have any references to bright spots.  Seems like its a 70" issue!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnich0803  /t/1520157/vizio-70-e701i-a3-smart-...els-on-very-bright-screens-only#post_24422462

I did call and they told me I am out of warranty!  They told me that unless I was within the 1 year that they could not assist me.  I explained this is a recurring issue and gave the the prior case #!
Sad. So, this problem has been LONGSTANDING panel manufacturing issue and it does not look like they have resolved it with the panel supplier. My set was manufactured November of 2013 and it is exhibiting the same problem. The 70 inch panel comes from a different source than the 60 and it looks like the panel maker is screwing Vizio. The panels look fine when checked before shipping and the "white dots" don't begin to appear for months. I don't know if or how you can push the issue. They delivered two sets to you displaying the same defect less than a year later. That's crap. Being practical, it may be the white spots never develop into an overwhelmingly obvious issue with most common viewing material. My plan is not to get another one but to just get a refund for now and see how the 2014 panels shake out.

Reactions: mnich0803

·
Registered
898 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnich0803  /t/1520157/vizio-70-e701i-a3-smart-...els-on-very-bright-screens-only#post_24422462

This is the kind of stuff that makes people do things like buy a new set & return the original using the new receipt assuming they still have the original box

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Indept that would have already been done in my younger days!  Now with kids and other priorities I could give 2 you know whats about these dots!  Heck I dont even want to take another day off from work to wait for a another swap of this TV just so I can be bright spot free for another 3 months!!!!!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts