AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

We are looking for a new tv and like both of the Vizio models above. The P series is $500 more than the M series. I'm wondering if it's worth it? We hope to have this tv for a long time and any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

:grin:

·
Registered
15,185 Posts
Hi,

We are looking for a new tv and like both of the Vizio models above. The P series is $500 more than the M series. I'm wondering if it's worth it? We hope to have this tv for a long time and any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

If you watch fram far back (and plan to continue to watch from far back), probably not.

Since getting the P70, we now watch the 70" screen from closer than we used to watch our old 55" 1080p screen...

The black levels on the P70 are pretty fantastic and I cannot say how much of that is due to the 72-versus-36 local dimming zones.

Depending on your plans, the P70 is likely to hold up its resale value a bit better than the M70.,,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My pleasure - good luck ;)
One more question, if it were you, which tv would you get? The P series or the M series?

As far as distance from the tv we will be sitting farther back which makes me lean towards the M series (and $500 cheaper is nice too). As for what tv is best to have for a long time I'm thinking 4k because it seems like that's the way technology is going. So, that makes me lean towards the P series. Bottom line, what would you do if it were you? Thanks again!

·
Registered
15,185 Posts
One more question, if it were you, which tv would you get? The P series or the M series?

As far as distance from the tv we will be sitting farther back which makes me lean towards the M series (and $500 cheaper is nice too). As for what tv is best to have for a long time I'm thinking 4k because it seems like that's the way technology is going. So, that makes me lean towards the P series. Bottom line, what would you do if it were you? Thanks again!
If there are any video gamers in your household, probably the P70 (gamers generally sit close ;)). With it's 72 local dimming zones, the P70 delivers pretty phenomenal blacks. I've never seen the M70 in a dark viewing environment.

The P70 is a known quantity (for me) and for $2000 (until March 31st), I think you can't go wrong.

If saving the $500 is a priority, then choosing between the P60 and the M70 would be a tougher decision...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If there are any video gamers in your household, probably the P70 (gamers generally sit close ;)). With it's 72 local dimming zones, the P70 delivers pretty phenomenal blacks. I've never seen the M70 in a dark viewing environment.

The P70 is a known quantity (for me) and for $2000 (until March 31st), I think you can't go wrong.

If saving the $500 is a priority, then choosing between the P60 and the M70 would be a tougher decision...
Thanks again! After your input and some friends input we have decided we are going to go with the P70. I think we will be very happy with the decision! I appreciate your time! Wishing you all the best! :grin:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Thanks again! After your input and some friends input we have decided we are going to go with the P70. I think we will be very happy with the decision! I appreciate your time! Wishing you all the best! :grin:
I received a P70 tonight and have to say I'm pretty impressed by what I've seen thus far. I also have a 78HU9000 (Curved Samsung) and have to say that this television is holding it's own in many areas. If I had one complaint, it would be that the television interface isn't as snappy as I'm accustomed to. However, I've been gaming on this unit in my bedroom for the past hour and have to say it looks great and that's without me having dialed all my settings in. It appears to be a no frills super-sized 4K unit with superb blacks and an overall solid picture. Would I be happy with it as my primary television, I would say yes based upon what I've experienced so far. Good luck on your purchase. There are deals to be had on these units over the next 30 days unless you just must buy now. I came across a deal here locally that I couldn't pass up! It was an impromptu purchase that went from idea to search to pickup in a 10 hour time span. I'm not regretting it!

·
Registered
7,005 Posts
Hi,

The P70 is currently on sale at Costco (until the end of March) for just under $2K. The new 2015 M-series (not yet shipping) are going to use 4K/UHD panels and will be similar to the P-series with the exception of having fewer local dimming zones. Having owned both a M-series and P-series, the current 1080p M-series that you are considering are definitely a noticable step down from the P-series and if you can afford it, the P-series is the way to go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts