AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hi:

Are there any Vizio TVs that rival the top Sony/Samsung TVs...?

To me they are lower-level TVs that Walmart sells...

I guess I like the fact that they are an American company...

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
They are actually made in China by TPV, Wistron and Amtran . Visio is an American sales / design co. no manufacturing here.

Not necessarily a bad thing but not currently US made .
Quote:
TPV will ship 16.85 million LCD TVs with Philips and Vizio to be major clients, followed by Foxconn with 7.2 million units and Sony to be the major client, Compal with 4.3 million units mainly to Toshiba, Wistron with 3.6 million units mainly to Vizio, Amtran with two million units mainly to Sharp and Vizio, and Pegatron with 1.2 million units mainly to Toshiba, Digitimes Research indicated.

By Tom Lo

This article is an excerpt from a Chinese-language Digitimes Research report.
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20131213PD200.html

·
Registered
13,714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVAV  /t/1524118/vizio-any-great-tvs-that-rival-the-top-sony-samsung-brands#post_24524107

Hi:

Vizio is trying to compete at the highest level this year with their Reference Series: http://ces.vizio.com/

Not certain the 65" R Series will actually materialize this year yet, but the specs look very impressive if it does (and feedback from CES was very positive).

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister  /t/1524118/vizio-any-great-tvs-that-rival-the-top-sony-samsung-brands#post_24526186

They are actually made in China by TPV, Wistron and Amtran . Visio is an American sales / design co. no manufacturing here.

Not necessarily a bad thing but not currently US made .

Right, but they are an American company... doing (unfortunately) what almost all American companies do...

·
Registered
130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVAV  /t/1524118/vizio-any-great-tvs-that-rival-the-top-sony-samsung-brands#post_24524107

Hi:

They currently don't offer anything that really rivals the top-tier screens. However, they have been moving their way upmarket over time. Their 2013 lineup's M Series was a good TV that could compete with Sony and Samsung's mid-upper range TVs and at a much lower price.

Vizio's upcoming 2014 lineup is looking to move further upmarket. Their P Series is 4K and has incredible specs that target top-tier TVs. They also unveiled the R Series, which is aimed to be an enthusiasts-only TV meant to fall into the "best consumer panels ever made" category (think Kuro, etc.).

I've never been a Vizio fan and had dismissed them up until recently, but I'm currently holding off purchasing a new TV until Vizio's P Series comes out. I can't believe I'm saying it, but I might be a Vizio owner this year.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWells55  /t/1524118/vizio-any-great-tvs-that-rival-the-top-sony-samsung-brands#post_24526737

I can't believe I'm saying it, but I might be a Vizio owner this year.

LOL, yeah, that's what I am saying... 

·
Registered
80 Posts

The 50" P series being 1000$ is fantastic, but I wonder if they can deliver with that price point.

Really looking forward to extensive reviews and consumer impressions of the P line.

Reference series is a bit too much and no 55" model, maybe next year the Reference could be an option given the right price point.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts