AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about buying the Vizio 47" LCD at Costco. The price is much lower than Sony or Sharp, but the Vizio seems to suffer in that the blacks appear gray in a side-by-side comparison to the Sony and Sharp.

Are there any Vizio owners out there that would like to comment? Once you take it home do you notice the difference or is it just a comparison issue? Can the Vizio be adjusted to darken the blacks?

thanks

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Remember, not all sets are created equal. However, I am fairly sure you can adjust the blacks - they may not ever be as black as the other sets though.

Side by side comparisions will give you an idea of how sets perform with their default settings . . . not necessarily the best settings for your viewing room. Not many of us do side by side in our viewing rooms - you may discover the Vizio may work fine for you.

·
Registered
735 Posts
There are only a few (about 6 manufacturers) who make the actual LCD and they all "can" produce about the same level of performance. The trick is in the video processor. If they are not set right, black level especially can look bad. Adjust "brightness" and "contrast" in the setup. Also, adjust the backlight which is NOT the same as "brightness".

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have the 42" Vizio from WalMart ( 1 week old ) and you are right in saying that it does have the "Gray" shading in the background.... I am returning the set to Walmart for this reason... Just does not have the vivit color / contrast I want....

·
Registered
758 Posts
speedman, before you take it back, why not read up on the calibration threads a bit first and see if you cant get the color to the point you want?

·
Registered
82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidhightakeall /forum/post/0

I have been thinking about buying the Vizio 47" LCD at Costco. The price is much lower than Sony or Sharp, but the Vizio seems to suffer in that the blacks appear gray in a side-by-side comparison to the Sony and Sharp.

Are there any Vizio owners out there that would like to comment? Once you take it home do you notice the difference or is it just a comparison issue? Can the Vizio be adjusted to darken the blacks?

thanks

Not a Vizio owner, but have you tried using a calibration disc? That may help.

Also, remember that most LCDs don't do a great job with displaying black.

Charles

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I find it humorous that LCD owners are complaining about black levels? Did you research HDTV sets? LCD's are by far the worst at black levels. Most people buy them because they are screamingly bright!

BTW The vizio comes with the backlight at 90 and it can be turned off for the most part. That helps the gray become dark gray instantly. But let's not kid ourselves...it is still an LCD!

·
Registered
2,477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_mitch /forum/post/0

I find it humorous that LCD owners are complaining about black levels? Did you research HDTV sets? LCD's are by far the worst at black levels. Most people buy them because they are screamingly bright!

BTW The vizio comes with the backlight at 90 and it can be turned off for the most part. That helps the gray become dark gray instantly. But let's not kid ourselves...it is still an LCD!

Normally, LCDs do have poorer black levels than plasmas. But not always - a calibrated Sony XBR2 had a better measured black level AND contrast ratio than a calibrated Pioneer Pro FH1. Most people buy LCDs because they do not have to pamper them, they can watch what they want - sidebars and all, where they want - bright or dark room and they provide the best bang for the buck at higher resolutions. And they can do this immediately, no break in required.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts