AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I find myself in a dilemma trying to decide between the Vizio 50" Plasma and the Vizio 46" LCD. I don't know much about HD tv's since this will be my first. Both tv's are around $1600.00 so the prices are appealing. I do not have an HD receiver so most of my viewing will be in standard definition. I will also play playstion 2 on this tv occasionally which is also my dvd player
. Which tv would you steer me to? Or is there another tv/brand around the same price and size I should be looking at? Thanks.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Hmm, the Vizio is a decent low tier plasma. I don't know much about their LCDs though. If that is US $, you're paying way to much though. You can get a panasoic TH-42PX60U for less than that from forum sponsors (avoid TVA) & take a big step forward in picture quality and set quality.

But if you go the plasma route, you're going to need to stretch or zoom your SD content. If that bothers you, you may want to consider the LCD.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think the plasma you are referring to is 720p while the lcd is 1080p. I personally have the 42" 720p Vizio LCD and I love it, love it, love it. I'm certainly no videophile, but the television displays a beautiful picture in my somewhat brightly lit family room.

I guess you need to consider your preferences. If you want the best picture (of those two tvs) in regards to color and black levels, then the plasma might suit your needs the best. However, if you want the best resolution (possibly use your computer with the display?) and don't want to worry about watching stadard 4:3 broadcasts, the lcd might be the way to go.

The deciding factor for me was: my wife watches more tv than me, and she doesn't like stretched 4:3 material. So, I knew the black/gray bars would be on the tv at least 80% of the time. So, I skipped the worrying about burn in and went with the LCD. I never looked back! (Besides the typical buyers remorse that I experience with virtually EVERY single item I buy! It's truly a sickness!)

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizer /forum/post/0

Thanks for the replies. So its possible to get burn-in on the plasma where the side bars are in the 4:3 mode? I can't stand watching the stretched view.

Yup, if you watch a lot of 4:3 content & do not mix it up. Grey bars may also greatly reduce the chances of BI. My wife 'forces' me to watch 4:3 content streched & some of the modes on the new tvs today are not as bad as it used to be watching the short wide people running around.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.