AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, recently purchased this tv solely for the functions of Wi-Fi, Netflix & USB video support.

Long story short, we have had a Vizio VL420M since ~ 2009. Still works great. I use the USB to play video formatted to H.264 (mp4) using handbrake. It was quite the learning curve to find a codec that the VL420M was happy with. Now it works flawlessly every time.

We picked the Vizio e420i-a0 based heavily on the fact that it too "supports" video over USB.

My problem is that while the e420i-a0 does indeed recognize and play the same .mp4 files via USB that the VL420M plays, it will stop at random either returning me to the media menu or outright restarting the video from the beginning.

It did this several times watching The Goonies last night (our first attempt playing .mp4). I did my best to troubleshoot the issue. Change file name to g.mp4, verify filed played on VL420M, remove all other files from USB leaving only the file intended to be played. The only thing I haven't tried is converting to other codecs.

Could it be the tv is not able to cope with the codec that the older tv was happy to play.

What has me dumbfounded is that I don't get the notorious "codec not supported", it plays as if it's happy only to later stop completely at random times. 20 minutes in, five mines in, I've skipped ahead in the video and again it will stop after no rhyme or reason.

I've tried 720, 1080, full length 2hr+ movies as well as 21 minute shows and have yet to play through the duration of a file.....

In the menu, the tv recognizes the correct duration time.

....completely lost.

I'll try other codecs, any other suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
***UPDATE***

Root cause, USB stick slow read speed.

I tested the stick with a few downloadable apps. Write speed avg ~3.5MB/s.

Read speed avg ~12MB/s.

I picked up a few inexpensive drives and tested them.

The tv now plays back h.264 without error or restarting or stopping to menu on a stick with speeds of:

Read speed avg ~22MB/s

Write speed avg ~16MB/s

Hope this helps anyone that runs into the same issue.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts