AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Got this TV and it seems alrite, but, i can't find any calibration settings. Is my model some obscure rare model nobody has? What would be the best settings/

·
Registered
17,733 Posts
A good suggestion would be to get a calibration disk and adjust your own basic settings according to your tv's component tolerances and viewing environment. All it may need is an accurate adjustment. A calibration requires the use of a light meter, specialized software, and a pattern or calibration disk. Using someone else's settings may work but component tolerances can vary considerably from tv to tv so what looks good on one tv may look like crap on yours.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot  /t/1515926/vizio-e420i-b0-calibration-settings#post_24309606

A good suggestion would be to get a calibration disk and adjust your own basic settings according to your tv's component tolerances and viewing environment. All it may need is an accurate adjustment. A calibration requires the use of a light meter, specialized software, and a pattern or calibration disk. Using someone else's settings may work but component tolerances can vary considerably from tv to tv so what looks good on one tv may look like crap on yours.
Sadly, I don't have a way to get those discs. I can try the settings at least and go from there.

·
Registered
17,733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasinnat  /t/1515926/vizio-e420i-b0-calibration-settings/0_20#post_24309831

Sadly, I don't have a way to get those discs. I can try the settings at least and go from there.

The AVS HD709 disk is free. Just use the Search feature at the top to find it. WoW, Spears & Munsil, etc. are commercial disks and can be easily purchased.

·
Registered
13,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot  /t/1515926/vizio-e420i-b0-calibration-settings#post_24309606

How well do the adjustments that you can make using the AVS disks (or WoW or Spears & Munsil) work in comparison to the level of calibration that can be done using a light meter? Do they basically allow you to get the most natural / most satisfactory image out of your panel given inaccuracies it may have in gamma and/or color linearity? (But you need to perform a professional calibration with a light meter to correct out any inaccuracies in gamma and/or color linearity?).

-fafrd

·
Registered
17,733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd  /t/1515926/vizio-e420i-b0-calibration-settings/0_20#post_24310898

How well do the adjustments that you can make using the AVS disks (or WoW or Spears & Munsil) work in comparison to the level of calibration that can be done using a light meter? Do they basically allow you to get the most natural / most satisfactory image out of your panel given inaccuracies it may have in gamma and/or color linearity? (But you need to perform a professional calibration with a light meter to correct out any inaccuracies in gamma and/or color linearity?).

-fafrd

It depends on how far off your tv is out of the box, panel type, etc. The calibrations disks can definitely improve pq by allowing you to use the user accessible controls to adjust your basic settings (contrast, brightness, aspect, color, and sharpness) using REC. 709 patterns to adjust to. For some that may be all you need to do, and is far better than just tweaking by eye. It's also a great way to learn how the different settings work in conjunction with each other. However, they can't really be compared to a professional calibration by someone with lots of experience and the proper equipment. If you want your panel (not source) to be the best it can possibly be, a professional calibration, or DIY, done with a light meter, etc. is the only way to go. A disk alone will only adjust your settings, not calibrate them.

·
Registered
13,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot  /t/1515926/vizio-e420i-b0-calibration-settings#post_24311246

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd  /t/1515926/vizio-e420i-b0-calibration-settings/0_20#post_24310898

-fafrd

It depends on how far off your tv is out of the box, panel type, etc. The calibrations disks can definitely improve pq by allowing you to use the user accessible controls to adjust your basic settings (contrast, brightness, aspect, color, and sharpness) using REC. 709 patterns to adjust to. For some that may be all you need to do, and is far better than just tweaking by eye. It's also a great way to learn how the different settings work in conjunction with each other. However, they can't really be compared to a professional calibration by someone with lots of experience and the proper equipment. If you want your panel (not source) to be the best it can possibly be, a professional calibration, or DIY, done with a light meter, etc. is the only way to go. A disk alone will only adjust your settings, not calibrate them.

That's what I suspected - thanks.

And I also suspect that there are no reasonably-priced light meters for DIY calibration, right?

-fafrd

·
Banned
5,023 Posts
I downloaded the AVS HD709 file here burned a copy to DVD and saved a copy to hdd. Use image 76 to set contrast (white level) and brightness(black level ) the instructions are in the image move slider to the left for black move slider to right for white start from there . I have 2 of my sets adjusted using various images from the HD709 file it works real well and it's free ! Chrome browser downloads it just fine.

You can optionally adjust settings to preference using the base settings on the disc as a very good starting point or set them exactly as the disk and instructions on the linked page advises .

While not a substitute for a prof. calibration it is otherwise very good and maybe the next best thing . http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration

I used the AVCHD file it plays in Windows media player and also I burned it to a DVD-R disc .

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have this set. I used the Disney Worlds of Wonder blu-ray to calibrate and settled on these results:

Backlight 64

Brightness 46

Contrast 53

Color 65

Tint -3

Sharpness 40

Under advanced settings, I selected the following:

Auto Brightness OFF

Black Detail OFF

Active LED Zones ON

Reduce Signal Noise HIGH

Reduce Block Noise HIGH

Film Mode AUTO

Hope that helps you fine tune your settings to your liking.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I'm surprised to see color so far away from 50. To me that means the blue channel, if that's all you used for color setting, is way off from red and green.

·
Registered
17,733 Posts
^^^^^ that's a good example of why using posted settings don't work for everyone. And I agree, a color setting of 65 is pretty high unless his set is really off. My guess is that a good blu-ray test movie like Seabiscuit would not look very good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Forgive me. You are absolutely correct. That should read 55, NOT 65. This was simply a typo.

I should have read what I typed before I hit submit. Thank you for pointing that out.

So, to clarify, the settings as they should have been posted are:

Backlight 64

Brightness 46

Contrast 53

Color 55

Tint -3

Sharpness 40

Auto Brightness OFF

Black Detail OFF

Active LED Zones ON

Reduce Signal Noise HIGH

Reduce Block Noise HIGH

Film Mode AUTO

And of course, what looks good on my set may not look as good on yours, or be to your personal preference. I posted this simply as a means to give you a starting point you could work from if you choose to.

Either way, enjoy your new TV. I'm quite pleased with this set.

·
Registered
17,733 Posts
^^^^ Ahh, 55 is much better than 65
My tv is calibrated instead of just being adjusted with a disk.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Obviously nothing compares to a true calibration, but I found the Disney disc to be quite thorough and detailed, and I'm really pleased with the results.

Also, this is a great set for this price point. To get a full array LED for under $500 seemed ridiculous a year ago. Heck, even a few months ago.

Vizio continues to impress me with their quality versus price point.

I remember when I used to refer to Vizios as "Walmart TVs." Never thought I'd buy one, let alone like it this much.

·
Registered
17,733 Posts
I'm glad your Vizio is working out ok for you. I've had two and will never have another one. I still refer to them as "throwaway tv's". However, to be fair, it does seem that Vizio is starting to do better on their QC, at least one hopes so.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Good to see you Otto.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
I bounce around from interest to interest. Ive been heavily involved in politics lately.

High Five!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts