AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could anyone point me in the direction of some picture settings for the Vizio e600-b3 60"? Seems like every calibration set that I've found is for the 55" version or smaller. I'm not sure if the 55" picture settings would be optimal for the 60" set or not?

I've done some Google searching and I've gone through several pages of the 100+ page "Official Owners" thread on here and haven't really found anything specific to this model and size.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone? Should I just get a calibration disk?

I've tried some settings for different size E series sets, but I'm not sure they're "optimal" for the 60" set.

My biggest concern is that there seems to be a light "glow" that comes from the picture at times. Like it's being viewed through a foggy lens or something. Also, some of the whites seems to have an off-white tint to them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Anyone? Should I just get a calibration disk?

I've tried some settings for different size E series sets, but I'm not sure they're "optimal" for the 60" set.

My biggest concern is that there seems to be a light "glow" that comes from the picture at times. Like it's being viewed through a foggy lens or something. Also, some of the whites seems to have an off-white tint to them.

I've been eyeing this thread thinking someone will chime in at some point, but alas, they haven't. There's a reason for that which I will try and explain to you as thoroughly as I can.

A calibration disk is the best first step. You don't have to buy one if you can burn a disk. There is the AVS disk available here (look in the Display Calibration forum for the AVS HD 709 thread) that will provide the basic patterns to adjust brightness, contrast, color and tint.

Beyond that, it really takes a self-calibration with a meter or a professional calibration with a meter to go any further. This will set items like the backlight so that the display is outputting the best overall light levels for the room, the grey-scale calibration so the display is outputting a pure 6500K white from low luminance to high luminance, and the colors for the primaries and secondaries (red, green, blue, yellow, cyan and magenta) are the correct hue, luminance and saturation and also track properly from low saturation to high saturation.

The reason other peoples' settings of those levels won't work for your specific set is that they are unique to those particular sets, even if they are the exact same model display. All electronic components have tolerances and variances, and that combination of tolerances/variances is unique to each and every set. That is why the only way to REALLY get white "white" and the colors looking right is to set up with a meter on YOUR display and adjust it properly.

This has been discussed ad nauseum in these forums and this is the reason you haven't had a strong response to your question. There are several iterations of settings for the E600i-B3 available in the thread for the Exxx-Bx, but whether they will improve your picture or make it worse is a crap-shoot since those settings are unique to those individuals' specific displays.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For what it's worth, I decided to return this TV and picked up the Samsung UN60H6350. MUCH happier with this set.

The picture quality on the Vizio was great, but the set had some issues - mainly it would randomly shut off on it's own. I called Vizio tech support and they didn't have much to offer - just tried a hard reset, that was about it.

There was also an issue with a blotchy spot about 2"x2" burnt into the bottom left hand part of the screen.

And of course as others have mentioned, the Smart features on the TV were pretty weak - slow, prone to crashes.

I also wasn't a fan of the fact that you had to point the remote directly at the sensor on the bottom left part of the screen for the remote to actually work.

The picture quality on the Samsung seems very comparable. And it blows the Vizio out of the water in terms of hardware build quality, Smart features, on screen user interface...pretty much everything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts