AVS Forum banner

Vizio E601i-A3 vs. E550i-B2 ... motion trails and edge lit vs. full array

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Adam Bomb 
#1 ·

I am currently an unhappy owner of a Vizio E601i-A3 TV and am considering returning it and getting a E550i-B2 . My main problem with this TV is motion trails in dark areas of the picture.. it's very noticeable in poorer quality video and video games. The store I purchased from now has the E550i-B2 in stock which boasts full array backlight with backlight scanning and local dimming.. My current TV is only edge-lit, could this be the cause of motion trails? I haven't been to the store yet to see if they have a display model set up... but with the bright video they display in the store I don't know if I would be able to detect it. Thanks for any input

#2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Bomb  /t/1518823/vizio-e601i-a3-vs-e550i-b2-motion-trails-and-edge-lit-vs-full-array#post_24381868

I am currently an unhappy owner of a Vizio E601i-A3 TV and am considering returning it and getting a E550i-B2 . My main problem with this TV is motion trails in dark areas of the picture.. it's very noticeable in poorer quality video and video games. The store I purchased from now has the E550i-B2 in stock which boasts full array backlight with backlight scanning and local dimming.. My current TV is only edge-lit, could this be the cause of motion trails? I haven't been to the store yet to see if they have a display model set up... but with the bright video they display in the store I don't know if I would be able to detect it. Thanks for any input

Even though there are only a few zones the full array should help with clouding/hot-spotting. The backlight scanning should help with motion and the local dimming should help with contrast. I would definitely go for it and since you state you are unhappy with your A3, what do you have to lose. You can always just get a refund if the B2 doesn't work out for you either.

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Bomb  /t/1518823/vizio-e601i-a3-vs-e550i-b2-motion-trails-and-edge-lit-vs-full-array#post_24381868

The effective refresh rate of both the Vizio E601i-A3 and the E550i-B2 is 120Hz, so I would not expect much difference in terms of motion blur between these two sets. For the best motion blur reduction, be sure you have frame interpolation activated.

As sytech stated in an earlier post, the FALD panel of the E550i-B2 should result in improved contrast and dark image performance over the E601i-A3.

You also might consider posting your dissatisfaction with motion trails on the E601i-A3 in the owners thread in case there are any owners that can give you insight on the best combination of settings to reduce/eliminate the problem...

-fafrd

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Bomb  /t/1518823/vizio-e601i-a3-vs-e550i-b2-motion-trails-and-edge-lit-vs-full-array#post_24390659

I went ahead and returned the E601i and got the E550i-B2 and can't be happier. No motion trails at all, big difference

Interesting - thanks for the feedback. Did you check whether any other E601i saw these motion trails as well?

At any rate, if you are happy with the E550i-B2 that's the important thing...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.