AVS Forum banner

601 - 620 of 2867 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Based mine on Derricks. Just tweaked them slightly.

Picture mode - movie

Backlight 74

Brightness 62

Contrast 77

Color 48

Tint 0

Sharpness 4

Color temp normal

Red gain 109

Green gain 118

Blue gain 118

Red offset 128

Green ofset 128

Blue offset 128

Smooth motion off

Noise reduc off

Color enhancement normal

Adaptive off

Film auto

Backlight control off

Ambient light off

Serial number srarts with Lftrnxap0304

·
Registered
4,486 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman515  /t/1440682/vizio-e701i-a3-owners-thread/570#post_22915046

This was what you said in post #578 ...............................

No settings on this reply

Sorry. It was post 572. Also I've spent several hours today using dozens of different combinations and have another setting for anybody to try that wants to. I'll post it in a few minutes. I like it a bit better because it makes the indoor scenes on regular TV shows a bit brighter. Especially shows like Elementary and CSI:NY (lots of scenes inside the lab) and Blue Bloods (lots of scenes inside the Chiefs office).

·
Registered
679 Posts
Seems everyone has there settings for Backlight and Brightness set far past 50 ..... I myself am not a fan of the overly bright screen ... just washes out the colors and it doesn't look good IMHO.

I keep mine below 50 (still tweaking but I like backlight at 40 and brightness at 49 right now) ... I think I have been playing around with the 40-50 range for both settings (backlight being less then brightness).

Users seems to stay in 60's and 70's ... CNet has there's in the 50-60 range which is not to bad.

I like Derrecks settings (which are mostly based on CNets settings) ... but those two settings (backlight/brightness) had to be dropped a lot to make it better.

Hep Poop Dog ... noticed you are missing the Blue Gain ... also saw you had the Green Gain higher then most everyone else ... gonna have to see how that looks as well.

FYI again: My serial is LFTRNXAN51

Lets all keep in mind I think different settings for different TV's react and look different. From what I read one guy can have the same settings as another but have different issues and problems with the PQ. I think different serials comes down to how different the panels are manufactured when they come out of the factory and just tend to have reactions to certain settings that others may not have.

Overall I think we should just start with the CNet settings and tweak them to what the users have tried and come to our own conclusion.

I am really relying on other for the Red/Blue/Green settings ... the CNET ones looks damn good to me so far ... I just don't know where exactly to tweak these for a more natural and true to life color and look (they may be perfect right now with CNet I'm just not sure).

·
Registered
679 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan  /t/1440682/vizio-e701i-a3-owners-thread/600#post_22915282

Sorry. It was post 572.

LOL ... how in the world did I miss that?!?!

I'll give them a try ... I see your RBG settings are far different then others ... will give em' a try.

I am not a fan of any other advanced settings as of late ... I keep all of mine off.

Love all these settings to try ... keep em' coming.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I played with the HD709 disc again today. I had some non optimal settings on the PS3 that was causing clipping of white and black

Two settings that are definite for me are

Brightness 50

Contrast 74

I like to adjust the back-light based on the room so I'll have two modes that are the same accept for backlight.

My Disney WOW disc should be here Monday. For kicks I made a blue filter with water and blue food coloring. I adjusted tint and color based on this. I'll see how close it compares to an actual blue filter that comes with my disk.

My liquid blue filter resulted in:

color 51

tint -1

RG 104

GG 124

BG 116

RO 128

GO 128

BO 128

The sharpness pattern allowed me to go up to 3 without artifact. I seem to like the backlight around 60.

I've noticed flashlighting has started to develop in the corners the more I use the set. On the 100% white pattern I can see some non uniformity on the screen. There is a 5" band just to the left of center that runs from almost top to bottom. There also appears to be a region in the middle of the screen that has a slightly different color than the rest of the panel. It's barely noticeable on the white screen. Not enough to take it back to Costco, but i wanted to let everyone know that my 3rd set is not perfect (serial 50).

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
I'll be looking forward to trying Dpiantino's final settings after calibration with the WOW disc. Of all the adjustments I've tried it seems like two make a obvious difference in PQ. I suggest that when you try any mode change these two settings around and see what you think. The settings are "Color Temp", and Adaptive Lumina". The last gives a more subtle but noticeable change

Mode Movie

Back 61

Brt 60

Cont 62

Col +35

Tint -4

Sharp +8

Color Temp Cool

All Gain & All Offset 128

Advanced Pic

SME High

RCM Precision

NR High

MPEG NR High

CE Off

Advanced Lumina Strong

Film Mode Auto

BC Off

ALS Off

·
Registered
30 Posts
[/quote]

Hep Poop Dog ... noticed you are missing the Blue Gain ... also saw you had the Green Gain higher then most everyone else ... gonna have to see how that looks as well.).[/quote]

Added it to my post.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Is anybody happy with motion? Especially close ups of faces. As soon as they move sideways the skin texture blurs It's especially bad with a guy with a beard. I've tried every combination possible with motion enhancement from off to high.

·
Registered
69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCarver  /t/1440682/vizio-e701i-a3-owners-thread/570#post_22914852

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchain  /t/1440682/vizio-e701i-a3-owners-thread/570#post_22914686

I have started experiencing this same thing. I will be watching Netflix and then everything locks up. I try to exit out of Netflix and it won't let me...it just gives me the black screen. I cannot access the the input or setting menus but oddly I can toggle the VIA button and the apps appear but then can't select anything. I then try to turn the TV off and it becomes unresponsive. Sometimes I have to physically unplug the TV to reset it because the power button doesn't work. Other times if I hold the power button down it will make a really loud and a disturbing POP! sound and the TV screen will power off but the *********** light remains on for a little while. After a minute I can turn the TV back on with no problems. Every time I call Vizio they say its a problem with the app and not the TV so they can't do anything for me. Nice. My TV was also Purchased on Black Friday from Costco for $1489 serial number LFTRXNAN4600531. I've had quite a few problems with this set and was hoping the latest firmware would resolve them but it hasn't. I also have the feathering in the bottom of the screen which slighly annoys me. I'm not sure if I should exchange this at Costco with a different serial number series (not sure which) or just flat out return it altogether. A big hassle whatever I do. Any suggestions?

This update has caused a lot of odd problems. A reset seems to resolve most of them. Just jot down your pic settings first, I lost a few.

Reset does not solve the problem. Clearing the memory doesn't solve the problem. I understand why everyone thinks its the magic cure but in this case it is not.

·
Registered
124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpiantino  /t/1440682/vizio-e701i-a3-owners-thread/600#post_22915335

I played with the HD709 disc again today. I had some non optimal settings on the PS3 that was causing clipping of white and black

Two settings that are definite for me are

Brightness 50

Contrast 74

I like to adjust the back-light based on the room so I'll have two modes that are the same accept for backlight.

My Disney WOW disc should be here Monday. For kicks I made a blue filter with water and blue food coloring. I adjusted tint and color based on this. I'll see how close it compares to an actual blue filter that comes with my disk.

My liquid blue filter resulted in:

color 51

tint -1

RG 104

GG 124

BG 116

RO 128

GO 128

BO 128

The sharpness pattern allowed me to go up to 3 without artifact. I seem to like the backlight around 60.

I've noticed flashlighting has started to develop in the corners the more I use the set. On the 100% white pattern I can see some non uniformity on the screen. There is a 5" band just to the left of center that runs from almost top to bottom. There also appears to be a region in the middle of the screen that has a slightly different color than the rest of the panel. It's barely noticeable on the white screen. Not enough to take it back to Costco, but i wanted to let everyone know that my 3rd set is not perfect (serial 50).

I'm quoting myself so everyone can see the before and after. The above is with the HD709 and a blue filter made with water and blue food color. Below is with the Disney WOW disk.

I'm a bit disappointed by the fact that unless you have a meter to measure gray value and color there is only so much that you can do as far as "knowing" you have it right.

Mainly: brightness, contrast, color, and tint.

The WOW disc does offer some nice still images to dial in the RGB gain to your liking. Messing with the RGB offsets proved to be pointless. It messed up my blacklevel settings. If you dial down the RGB offset, you have to increase the brightness to get proper black level back. I thought I was on to something when I dialed in a 2.2 gamma using the disk with the RGB offset. The I found out i was really just making everything darker. Too dark

Nice tutorials, and disney movie clips that look fantastic.

There are two avenues to take with contrast. Allow nothing to show above true white, or follow the HD709 and allow visibility up to 244. The following settings don't show contrast above true white. If I allow the 244 whites to show, then the contrast has to be dialed back 3 points. I'll list my bright room and night settings. They aren't really different. I think LED is so damn bright, that you don't really suffer during the day.

Backlight: 58 night 35

Brightness: 51 ; 50

Contrast: 79 ; 80

Color: 51 ; 51

Tint: -1 ; -1

Sharpness: 3 ; 3 (1 shows no artifact on the patterns, 2 showed artifact on a fisheye pattern, 3 showed artifact on fisheye pattern, oddly 5 showed less artifact than a setting of 4 on the fisheye pattern, but both showed artifact on main sharpness pattern.

RG: 106

GG: 110

BG: 120

RO: 128

GO: 128

BO: 128

All enhancements are set to off

·
Registered
2 Posts
So far I like these settings alot. Text and graphics are significantly sharper. Bright, but not searing. Watching "House of Cards" streaming on Netflix now. Sharp and rich.

·
Registered
34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjthenovice  /t/1440682/vizio-e701i-a3-owners-thread/540#post_22910028

Just checked my set (FW 1.1.5) It stays off when selected. Is it possible you're in "Store Demo" mode? menu>Help>Store Demo.
No, not in demo mode. By chance are you using the digital out connection? I'm currently using the RCA audio outputs.

·
Registered
509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachoB  /t/1440682/vizio-e701i-a3-owners-thread/600#post_22917080

No, not in demo mode. By chance are you using the digital out connection? I'm currently using the RCA audio outputs.
I'm HDMI and Optical.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'll have to check the manual but I'm guessing it's the optical connection allowing it to stay OFF with a power cycle.

·
Registered
509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachoB  /t/1440682/vizio-e701i-a3-owners-thread/600#post_22918650

I'll have to check the manual but I'm guessing it's the optical connection allowing it to stay OFF with a power cycle.
I checked the manual and it doesn't mention anything about the function returning to the "on" position. IMHO, I believe it should stay "off'' even with a power cycle. You should call Vizio support, they've been very helpful to me in the past.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Just took a look at this at best buy and the guy game me the remote to dink around, so I pulled out my phone , threw up a setting I found on here and it looked great!! Although none of the others were slightly calibrated, this looked much better than the quattron and Samsung 7100 next to it. Just seeing this in person and seeing that it can be tweaked quite well almost sold me on it.

Few questions tho. When best buy matches amazon do they charge you tax? Or is that not even negotiable? And is $1599 a good buy on this considering the E series is relatively new? Or will it continue to drop in price.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Despite being advertised for more, when I checked out with mine in store at Costco today, it rang up for 1920 -370, which is 1550!

Isn't that what the price was on Black Friday?

I feel awesome! Bwahaha.

I'll post about my successes/failures/opinions in a few weeks when we get our carpet put in and I can set the tv up.

601 - 620 of 2867 Posts