AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 396 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Does anyone have the Elevate and have working multichannel LPCM via earc? I have a LG C9 (newest firmware that passes LPCM), and it setup correctly (confirmed with c9 earc thread), and i cannot get surround sound to work, the Nintendo "test" only plays 2 channels. plugging directly into the soundbar does get full surround. my ps4 seems to be working via earc but there is no speaker test there to ensure each channel works.
seems like I have the same issue on my CX. When I try to force surround, I just hear 2 channels. If its on automatic, it plays 6 tons but they all seem to come out every speaker. Guess the only way around this is to plug the switch directly into the soundbar. I do see it report LPCM within the Vizio app though

·
Registered
165 Posts
seems like I have the same issue on my CX. When I try to force surround, I just hear 2 channels. If its on automatic, it plays 6 tons but they all seem to come out every speaker. Guess the only way around this is to plug the switch directly into the soundbar. I do see it report LPCM within the Vizio app though
That's a known issue with the CX, it doesn't passthrough multichannel lpcm, fix should come one day. The C9 had that problem but it was fixed over the summer so should work now, but isn't with the elevate for some reason.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Best Buy has raised the price back to $1000. I was tempted at $700 but I don’t think it’s worth this much.
Price will surely go back down at some point. Black Friday, Christmas, post- Christmas, Washington Day sales...

I'm counting on it, since I'm out of the country for a few weeks due to family matters.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts

10 minutes.

Another unboxing/overview from Daniel at Never Enough Tech. He says he'll do a thorough review soon and compare to other bars.

NOTE: A little bit of him goes a long way, however. While he often has some good points (and a few that fall flat), he employs a very sarcastic delivery he thinks is entertaining.

Overall I liked his Samsung HW-Q950T soundbar review, which made me realize it wasn't for me. However, in that video he revealed he's a Sonos fanboi -- so you have grade his reviews accordingly. ;)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Just an update: I returned the elevate and purchased a Sony receiver with 12” Klipsch sub & R51 bookshelf speakers. Until yesterday I had only ever had headphones and soundbars and WOW the difference is night and day... The bookshelves have a much wider soundstage (no surprise) and are much louder and have a lot more clarity. Their faux-surround had me turning my head around a few times watching movie clips. All in all it set me back about $1050.

It’s required more legwork and I’m still learning how to use the receiver but I have no regrets about making the switch and there’s no way in heck I’d buy a Sonos Arc at its price point after hearing this (and yes I’ve heard the Arc in person). A soundbar with small drivers just can’t replicate a decent set of speakers. If you have a small room, a soundbar might be just as good but if your space is open and you’ve been thinking about making the jump I would strongly encourage you to go for it

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Just an update: I returned the elevate and purchased a Sony receiver with 12” Klipsch sub & R51 bookshelf speakers.
I've long had a 1000 watt Sony 5.1 Surround Sound system (front left, right, center, rear left, right and subwoofer). What I wish for is to hear the newer Dolby Atmos/DTS object-oriented (height) channels. Thus you need 5.1.4 with 4 upward firing speakers (or speakers installed in the ceiling, which is unrealistic for 99% of homes). Any Dolby Atmos/DTS system is a feature upgrade from mere 5.1 system.

My current 5.1 does have "wireless" rear speakers and still I need that feature also for any upgraded 5.1.4 Dolby Atmos system.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Maybe a little off topic but are there any receiver systems currently that have wireless rear speaker support? That’s the only thing keeping me from a dedicated receiver setup is I have an open floor plan and can’t run wires.

Just an update: I returned the elevate and purchased a Sony receiver with 12” Klipsch sub & R51 bookshelf speakers. Until yesterday I had only ever had headphones and soundbars and WOW the difference is night and day... The bookshelves have a much wider soundstage (no surprise) and are much louder and have a lot more clarity. Their faux-surround had me turning my head around a few times watching movie clips. All in all it set me back about $1050.

It’s required more legwork and I’m still learning how to use the receiver but I have no regrets about making the switch and there’s no way in heck I’d buy a Sonos Arc at its price point after hearing this (and yes I’ve heard the Arc in person). A soundbar with small drivers just can’t replicate a decent set of speakers. If you have a small room, a soundbar might be just as good but if your space is open and you’ve been thinking about making the jump I would strongly encourage you to go for it

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Maybe a little off topic but are there any receiver systems currently that have wireless rear speaker support? That’s the only thing keeping me from a dedicated receiver setup is I have an open floor plan and can’t run wires.
Yes, all these Dolby Atmos soundbars have "wireless" rear speakers where you don't run wires from the soundbar to the rear speakers. They use either Wi-Fi or Bluetooth for signal connection to the main bar. Of course you still need to plug into an outlet for power.

The only Dolby Atmos soundbar system that has completely wireless rear speakers is the JBL 9.1 (silly name, it's 5.1.4) and has rechargable batteries for power. But if you don't want to mess with that you can still power via USB cables and AC adapter.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Yes, all these Dolby Atmos soundbars have "wireless" rear speakers where you don't run wires from the soundbar to the rear speakers. They use either Wi-Fi or Bluetooth for signal connection to the main bar. Of course you still need to plug into an outlet for power.

The only Dolby Atmos soundbar system that has completely wireless rear speakers is the JBL 9.1 (silly name, it's 5.1.4) and has rechargable batteries for power. But if you don't want to mess with that you can still power via USB cables and AC adapter.
I'm really interested in the JBL but USA doesn't get end caps. Can you request them direct from JBL?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I'm really interested in the JBL but USA doesn't get end caps. Can you request them direct from JBL?
I don't know. Surely you can order from JBL. There's also eBay. ;)

For the JBL 9.1, besides the missing 4 end caps, the USA doesn't get the USB cables/AC adapters for the rear speakers. I'm NEVER going to reattach my rear speakers to a sound bar every night just to re-charge them. I would leave them in the 5.1.4 position. JBL promises 10 hours of charge, but users say it's really 4 - 6 hours. I don't want the speakers shutting down halfway through a movie, you know? Other regions get USB cables/AC adapters. Yeah, I probably have enough spare cables on hand, but it's the principle.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
I don't know. Surely you can order from JBL. There's also eBay. ;)

For the JBL 9.1, besides the missing 4 end caps, the USA doesn't get the USB cables/AC adapters for the rear speakers. I'm NEVER going to reattach my rear speakers to a sound bar every night just to re-charge them. I would leave them in the 5.1.4 position. JBL promises 10 hours of charge, but users say it's really 4 - 6 hours. I don't want the speakers shutting down halfway through a movie, you know? Other regions get USB cables/AC adapters. Yeah, I probably have enough spare cables on hand, but it's the principle.
Well that problem is easier to solve with a dual USB power brick and a couple USB C cables from Amazon...

What did you use for searching on eBay? I didn't see any covers/caps for sale...

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Well that problem is easier to solve with a dual USB power brick and a couple USB C cables from Amazon...

What did you use for searching on eBay? I didn't see any covers/caps for sale...
Sorry, haven't actually searched ebay yet. I just know there's often dealers selling accessories.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Better researched answer, yes.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Soundbars/comments/ih7ftw
From JBL customer service:

Good day,
About your inquiry whether end caps will be included in a purchase of JBL Bar. Upon checking with our internal support, it should be ordered separately. If you'll be interested to process an order in the future, I'll be providing you the details you'll need for faster process.
The best way to get the part is to contact us at (800) 336-4525 and process a part order.
Case Number: XXXXXXXX
Part Number and Name:
08SR91W1-001S - LEFT SURROUND SIDE COVER BAR91
08-SR91W2-001S - RIGHT SURROUND SIDE COVER BAR91

Price:$24 each
Freight: $5

Note: Prices above our exclusive of tax.

·
Registered
64 Posts

yes, dedicated receiver and wired speakers is the ideal way to go but soundbars (especially high end like the Elevate or Samsung) do a very good job. Reasons why Im still going the soundbar route over receiver + wired speakers:
  • Im renting, Im not spending the time or money wiring speakers all over the room. Similarly, I would want to get speakers mounted within the walls/ceiling.
  • Soundbars looks way more aesthetically appealing. My wife and I enjoy not having a big receiver taking up most of our media stand
  • We rarely turn up the volume to levels where sound bars couldn't handle it. I was just demo-ing Atmos with "Hans Zimmer - Live in Prague" and it sounds incredible at high volumes, but we wouldn't have it that high for long periods of time.
I'll look into a full blown AV setup when we decide to buy our own place. For now, the elevate is pretty incredible. I've had a powerful Denon receiver and tall floor standing speakers at one point of my life and the Elevate comes really damn close in quality and clarity.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I’ve noticed that when I open the SmartCast app my Elevate will rarely connect on the first try. Closing and restarting the app seems to work most of the time and it connects on that 2nd try though.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I’ve noticed that when I open the SmartCast app my Elevate will rarely connect on the first try. Closing and restarting the app seems to work most of the time and it connects on that 2nd try though.
yeah, app is hit or miss or laggy. What I did was train my Harmony Hub + remote for common commands such as Movie EQ, Direct EQ, Virtual:X on and off, and Elevate Up, Wide, or Auto. How you do this is to get the command ready to change on the Elevate remote, get the harmony hub ready to read the command, then on the Elevate remote, press the button to change the setting - the harmony learns it perfectly

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
No that’s not what I’m talking about. I’m not talking soundbars. I’m talking stand alone AV receivers that have an option for hooking wireless surrounds

41 - 60 of 396 Posts