AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
I know the deal on the SV470M is at Amazon, but wheres the E470VL deal?

Walmart had the E470VL on sale over the weekend for i think $698, may still be on sale today.

From the specs at Vizios website, the E470VL looks to be the newer/better TV.
E470VL Link

SV470M Link

Not sure how many replies your going to get to this due to the brevity of your post.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip. The other deal was at Costco on Friday.

I'm just curious whether people think the E470VL is worth the additional $125 (after tax included) since the majority of the specifications are the same -- both 47", LCD, 1080P, 120 Hz. I've been told the contrast ratio is generally unverifiable BS -- true?

I have a hard time distinguishing between the quality of two HDTV's, so I'm not sure any slight improvement would matter to me. However, this is the first time I'm getting a BluRay player so I might start getting better at noticing.

What do you think???

Thanks again in advance!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Dell had the E470VA (VA for short) on sale for $597 for Cyber Monday. I picked one up for a rental unit. It doesn't have a whole lot of bells and whistles but it does have 120Hz and appeared to be the best buy. The add is still on Dell's site but they have sold out so clicking on the "buy now" will only get you an esoteric message about selecting the wrong "segment"?

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/s...&cs=19&ref=hbn

http://www.vizio.com/e470va.html

The VL does have a better contrast ratio. The VA has the following that the VL does not have but I am not certain the consequences. Progressive Scan Video would probably be a big thing for a DVD player that works best with progressive, right?

The VA is also MUCH more energy efficient: 88W, 134W, 188Watts!

and apparently a longer Lamp life: 60K Hours, 50K Hours, 50K Hours

The color temps on the M are EXTREMELY brighter than either of the other two (though I don't know why they would have done this unless the M is designed for brighter areas like showroom floors or large bars rather than Home use).

This set is GREAT for HD programming. However, as is the case with most LCD's, this thing is BRIGHT. Too bright for any kind of decent "Theater" usage IMHO. The two 37" 1080p LG's I have are capable of playing movie footage with good lighting but this one is not...so far. We have a dedicated HT upstairs anyway so this shortfall is no big issue.

Volume control is..well, not good. 1 is not terribly loud but 2 is something like 100% louder. While it is true that we had the cable box tuned to the prior plasma but we had been watching old of the LG's while that one was out of commission and the sound control was fine (late night I could listen @ 4 without disturbing anyone. More fiddling will be needed...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.