AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 13.5 month old $1900 Vizio VF552XVT with a burnt out back light. After a week of "discussing" this Vizio, their final offer is basically "tough luck" but we can offer you the same TV new for $1400 and some.
Really? I can buy this exact TV today for less than that outright. Does Vizio really expect me or anyone else to buy another of their TVs after this experience?


I've written a letter to the CEO William Wang and am exploring alternatives through my Visa card. I don't expect to hear much from Mr. Wang though, the attitude of the customer service group usually reflects that of the top.


Anyway, looks like I am back in the market again much sooner than I wanted to be. Who makes the most reliable big screen TVs?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,761 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbertrand /forum/post/20882646


I have a 13.5 month old $1900 Vizio VF552XVT with a burnt out back light. After a week of "discussing" this Vizio, their final offer is basically "tough luck" but we can offer you the same TV new for $1400 and some.
Really? I can buy this exact TV today for less than that outright. Does Vizio really expect me or anyone else to buy another of their TVs after this experience?


I've written a letter to the CEO William Wang and am exploring alternatives through my Visa card. I don't expect to hear much from Mr. Wang though, the attitude of the customer service group usually reflects that of the top.


Anyway, looks like I am back in the market again much sooner than I wanted to be. Who makes the most reliable big screen TVs?

This is so typical of Vizio from what I've heard. Once your warranty expires, you're screwed as far as repairs go. Writing Mr. Wang won't do any good. As far as big screen tv's go, look at LG, Sony, Samsung, and possibly Toshiba. You will probably pay a little more than what you want but support and quality will be better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Consumer Reports shows Panasonic, Sanyo and Sylvania having the best reliability. Looking at their websites though, none of them offer a smart dimming LED TV that's 55".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,761 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbertrand /forum/post/20882745


Thanks, Consumer Reports shows Panasonic, Sanyo and Sylvania having the best reliability. Looking at their websites though, none of them offer a smart dimming LED TV that's 55".

Smart dimming is marketing. Too many "auto features" may be problematic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any opinions on the Sharp LC-60LE633U? Looks like a smoking deal at Costco.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,466 Posts
Although frustrating, your warranty did expire. They could be a little more gracious about it, but as a consumer, you accept the fact that you're receiving a one year warranty from the time of your purchase. I'm not condoning their smugness, but what did you really expect?


I'd look at Sony, Panasonic or Samsung. And for how cheap extended warranties can be had online for, I'd highly recommend one on your next purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot /forum/post/20882714


This is so typical of Vizio from what I've heard. Once your warranty expires, you're screwed as far as repairs go. Writing Mr. Wang won't do any good. As far as big screen tv's go, look at LG, Sony, Samsung, and possibly Toshiba. You will probably pay a little more than what you want but support and quality will be better.

I think it's typical of most companies. Sure, there are those exceptions where they'll really help you out. But, for the most part, once that warranty expires, they're not gonna hand you a new TV or pay that $1,000 dollar repair for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,761 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEastSide /forum/post/20883494



I think it's typical of most companies. Sure, there are those exceptions where they'll really help you out. But, for the most part, once that warranty expires, they're not gonna hand you a new TV or pay that $1,000 dollar repair for you.

The point I was trying to make, and not very clear I admit, is that even if you can find an "authorized" Vizio repair center, parts are hard to come by once you are out of warranty. You can't say that about Sony, LG, etc. Sure, you'll have to pay out of pocket for the repair but you can at least get the set repaired.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEastSide /forum/post/20883494


Although frustrating, your warranty did expire. They could be a little more gracious about it, but as a consumer, you accept the fact that you're receiving a one year warranty from the time of your purchase. I'm not condoning their smugness, but what did you really expect?


I'd look at Sony, Panasonic or Samsung. And for how cheap extended warranties can be had online for, I'd highly recommend one on your next purchase.




I think it's typical of most companies. Sure, there are those exceptions where they'll really help you out. But, for the most part, once that warranty expires, they're not gonna hand you a new TV or pay that $1,000 dollar repair for you.

If I could get the set repaired I wouldn't be complaining. I would accept the cost as the risk I took not buying an extended warranty. What really frosts me is that the set is unrepairable. For such a new set to need replacement, I would expect Vizio to extend a little customer good will. $1900 for 13.5 months use is not acceptable.


Turns out my set may be covered by my Visa card. I'm currently exploring that. I hope they will let me replace it with something other than another Vizio, I really don't want another of their pieces of crap in my house.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEastSide
Although frustrating, your warranty did expire. They could be a little more gracious about it, but as a consumer, you accept the fact that you're receiving a one year warranty from the time of your purchase. I'm not condoning their smugness, but what did you really expect?


I'd look at Sony, Panasonic or Samsung. And for how cheap extended warranties can be had online for, I'd highly recommend one on your next purchase.




I think it's typical of most companies. Sure, there are those exceptions where they'll really help you out. But, for the most part, once that warranty expires, they're not gonna hand you a new TV or pay that $1,000 dollar repair for you.
That.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
740 Posts
That's pretty pathetic if they can't get parts for a TV that recent. Sounds like they're just trying to get you to buy a new TV. If my Vizio dies and I have to buy a new TV, it certainly won't be another Vizio! (That goes for any brand of any electronic product that dies prematurely.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
288 Posts
Well, not that it couldn't happen at 37 months (1 month after the 3 year mark) but that's why I would ONLY buy my TV at Costco. They up the warranty to 2 years from 1 and then I put it on my Amex to get another year for a total of 3.


If I were you and you can't get any help from Vizio, I'd hollar at some local TV repair places and explain your situation. I repaired a CCFL laptop bulb in my mom's laptop & it wasn't expensive. It took a little work & I wouldn't want to try it on something as expensive as my TV, but I'd be willing to pay a couple hundred bucks to have a solid TV repair house do it.


(shrug)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot /forum/post/20882714


This is so typical of Vizio from what I've heard. Once your warranty expires, you're screwed as far as repairs go. Writing Mr. Wang won't do any good. As far as big screen tv's go, look at LG, Sony, Samsung, and possibly Toshiba. You will probably pay a little more than what you want but support and quality will be better.

Vizio is built with LG and SONY parts... "Quality" will be equivilent, but that is why they don't have "post purchase" replacement parts available except for warranty coverage.


This is one method of how they are able to keep costs low.


I just bought a brand new XVT3D4SV model and I am getting the 4 year extended warranty plan...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEastSide /forum/post/20883494


Although frustrating, your warranty did expire. They could be a little more gracious about it, but as a consumer, you accept the fact that you're receiving a one year warranty from the time of your purchase. I'm not condoning their smugness, but what did you really expect?


I'd look at Sony, Panasonic or Samsung. And for how cheap extended warranties can be had online for, I'd highly recommend one on your next purchase.




I think it's typical of most companies. Sure, there are those exceptions where they'll really help you out. But, for the most part, once that warranty expires, they're not gonna hand you a new TV or pay that $1,000 dollar repair for you.

Most??? No.... ALL companies are like this... I have been in the IT field for 15 years... when your warranty is out.. IT'S OUT... 1 month, 1 week, 1 DAY!!! It doesn't matter!!!


I work for an organization that does millions of dollars worth of Businiess with a World Leading PC Mfg... And there have been many times that I have heard "I'm sorry sir, but the warranty expired YESTERDAY"


ALWAYS buy the extended warranty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJamaX /forum/post/20896609


Vizio is built with LG and SONY parts... "Quality" will be equivilent, but that is why they don't have "post purchase" replacement parts available except for warranty coverage.


This is one method of how they are able to keep costs low.


I just bought a brand new XVT3D4SV model and I am getting the 4 year extended warranty plan...

Yeah right, SONY/LG just provides their intellectual property to VIZIO to create a low cost competitor and lose sales/profits.


Where do these rumors come from?


If assemblies from tier 1 manufacturers (e.g. SAMSUNG, SONY, LG) were really used, parts would be available after warranty, as well


Truth is, VIZIO is a low cost producer, because their assemblies are made by various contract manufacturers in China. They place an order for X number of boards (e.g. typically tens of thousands) to meet a model production run. It costs to much money/overhead to inventory spares.


Additionally, the quantities a contract manufacture would require to fill subsequent orders, on an economical basis, is cost prohibitive, thus spare parts are not available (except from cannibalized broken sets).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,761 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJamaX /forum/post/20896609


Vizio is built with LG and SONY parts... "Quality" will be equivilent, but that is why they don't have "post purchase" replacement parts available except for warranty coverage.


This is one method of how they are able to keep costs low.


I just bought a brand new XVT3D4SV model and I am getting the 4 year extended warranty plan...

I doubt very seriously that Vizio's are built with LG and Sony parts therefore your argument of equivalency is false. Vizio keeps costs down by using parts from various Chinese manufacturer's whose quality control methods of manufacturing aren't any where near as stringent as LG's, Sony's, or any other major tv producer. Replacement parts on out-of-warranty sets are difficult to come by because of the quality of components used and the fact that they can't keep inventories of components on the shelves for long periods of time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,442 Posts
Vizio is a company based in Irvine, CA. However, their TVs are made in Taiwan by a company named Amtran Technology.


I know, the name doesn't ring a bell. Well, let's go back in time. Does the name ViewSonic

sound familiar? Yes, that was a Taiwanese/American company that sold excellent CRT type computer monitors way back when. In fact, that was my last CRT monitor, a 17" that I purchased for $800 about 10-12 yrs ago and I finally gave it away when I returned to using the Apple iMac about 5 yrs ago.


There is a good article about this company..."Amtran also owns a 24% stake in the Vizio company. You might even say that Vizio is just another name for Amtran, since the guts of a Vizio HDTV are really made by Amtran."


Read more: http://www.brighthub.com/electronics...#ixzz1WoiYH7fU
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJamaX /forum/post/20896641


Most??? No.... ALL companies are like this... I have been in the IT field for 15 years... when your warranty is out.. IT'S OUT... 1 month, 1 week, 1 DAY!!! It doesn't matter!!!


I work for an organization that does millions of dollars worth of Businiess with a World Leading PC Mfg... And there have been many times that I have heard "I'm sorry sir, but the warranty expired YESTERDAY"


ALWAYS buy the extended warranty.

Here's a thread right here on AVS of a customer trying valiantly to obtain service on his new, top of the line, Sony TV:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post20898134


Yep, I like your advice about extended warranty!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughh /forum/post/20898173


Here's a thread right here on AVS of a customer trying valiantly to obtain service on his new, top of the line, Sony TV:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post20898134


Yep, I like your advice about extended warranty!

Wow. That was horrific. People say Sony is usually the best for CS.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top