AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 3559 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well. no more speculation just picked one up at Costco. Funny story, the video guy didn't want to sell it to me, wanted to save them for the upcoming promo. Anyway, I will post some pics with a side by side with my 46 Vizio when I get a chance.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just got it set up near my 46. Interesting seeing the flash glare off the 46 but not the 47, must be the angle or distance or could it be indicative of a better panel?

Physically, the exterior dimensions are the same, the screen is slightly larger in the same package. There is a nice touch pad menu on the front rather than hard buttons on the side. The chrome trim on the sides is gone on the 47 (nice improvement)! The back of the unit is now metal rather than plastic.

Picture wise, the 47 seems brighter than the 46 in apples to apples sport mode. However I'm driving the 46 on HDMI and the 47 on component through my dish 622. The whites appear whiter, blacks not as good as the 46. Colors seem the same. The on screen menu is different, will need to play with it more to see if it is an improvement. Will also need to do some tweaking with the AVIA and compare between HDMI & component. All in all so far this looks like an improvement over the 46. Still need to check on the backlight speaker hum as that is why the 46 will be returned.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Looks good! Eagerly await your further review. Have you checked the owners manual to determine 1080p support on hdmi and/or component inputs?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Looks cool, do you have any video game systems you can hook up to it? I believe it was confirmed in the other thread it does 1:1 over hdmi

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have noticed one thing that I think people should consider. I compared the Vizio 47 & Olevia 542I. Vizio was only showing 95% of the picture. The experts should look into this anomaly. I am going to return this set.

·
Registered
34 Posts
For anyone that knows. Is that whats called "overscan" and if so, why such a high percentage? Is it fixable via firmware upgrade? Thx.

·
Registered
351 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassiji /forum/post/0

I have noticed one thing that I think people should consider. I compared the Vizio 47 & Olevia 542I. Vizio was only showing 95% of the picture. The experts should look into this anomaly. I am going to return this set.

what input was this on and did you attempt to adjust any of the settings?

·
Registered
63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassiji /forum/post/0

uh oh....

·
Registered
3 Posts
The glare on the top TV is the angle from where you're taking the picture...nothing to do with the coating on the TVs. If you were to kneel down and take a picture from that same spot you'd see that same glare on the bottom TV.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I tried my DVD player on HDMI, PBS OTA, STB 480I via component. In all instances the Olevia was showing more content than Vizio. Also, I have a samsung upconvert HTIB & connected to Vizio showed 480P & on Olevia showed 1080i for some reason.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks for the pic GGG. Is the 47 on a cool temp setting and the 46 on a warm? Can tell you've tweaked your 46, as that picture - although not as vibrant as the 47 - seems (to me anyway) more natural. Plus, I can make out more details in Sweed's jersey on your 46. Be anxious to see your results after fine tuning the 47!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here are some more updates as I had a very busy evening.

Got the 47 & 46 closer together and started changing content and switched between HDMI & component. Wow! This bad boy spanks the 46. Found out (for me) that the HDMI out of my Dish 622 was superior than component. Surfed hockey, skiing, Discovery HD...amazing difference with as similar settings for both sets as I could muster. There seems to be additional video tweaks in the menu of the 47 vs the 46, didn't have time to sort through yet. Quickly, both my gamer son and I saw a clearer, brighter picture with better facial tones, brighter colors (especially green) and especially whiter whites. Still haven't hooked up the computer or PS3 yet...

The WAF was frowning at my experiment in the living room, so it became clear that the 46 had to go back to Costco...fast b4 closing, so we were off to the races.

The mounting holes in the back of the 47 are superior to the 46, not as much curvature on the back, so I got a much better grab with the small screws. The 47 is significantly heavier than the 46 as we lifted them on & off the wall. The 47 does not pop & crack like the 46 when turning on & off. There is no speaker hum/buzz on the 47 with reduced backlight (my main gripe on the 46). I really like the new backlit soft touch control panel on the front of the unit!

No issues on the 46's return to Costco (made it with 10 minutes b4 closing. Saw my favorite Sharp 52" was reduced by 2 Ben's. Would love to see a side by side comparison between this Sharp & the Vizio 47 just for yuks.. anyone see them next to each other at Costco yet? All in all for half a Ben less than the 46 (after the Costco wallet) this 47 is a bargain. Looking forward to tweaking it today...

·
Registered
7 Posts
GGG, you mentioned a Costco Wallet coupon...when did you receive the coupons? Did they mail it to you or did you pick it up at the warehouse. I'm really interested in this set but, obviously, want to use any coupon available.

BTW, how much off did the coupon give?

Thanks for the reviews so far!!

·
Premium Member
356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowBalls /forum/post/0

GGG, you mentioned a Costco Wallet coupon...when did you receive the coupons? Did they mail it to you or did you pick it up at the warehouse. I'm really interested in this set but, obviously, want to use any coupon available.

BTW, how much off did the coupon give?

Thanks for the reviews so far!!

The coupon isfor $250 off from 1/15-1/21- these are mailed out, I think they go to all members- based on my experience you don't need the coupon to get the discount- If I lose or forget the coupon usually the cashier will scan a store copy....

·
Registered
7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink109 /forum/post/0

The coupon isfor $250 off from 1/15-1/21- these are mailed out, I think they go to all members- based on my experience you don't need the coupon to get the discount- If I lose or forget the coupon usually the cashier will scan a store copy....

Kevin, when did you receive your coupon book? I haven't received mine yet so I may have missed it somehow. I'll just pick one up at the warehouse. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just returned from the Woodinville, WA Costco with my VIZIO G47L tv. They had about 10 in stock and on the floor.

I don't own a calibration DVD, so could someone please post your calibration settings so I can get mine fine-tuned properly?

Thanks,

Eric in Mill Creek, WA

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ijust received my Costco coupon book in the mail yesterday-I'm in NY.

What is the price of the 47 Vizio? If you have the coupon book you'll see some reductions on Panny 42 plasmas and Philips 47 Lcds also....

Need to start an official Vizio 47 inch thread....

1 - 20 of 3559 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.