AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
2761 - 2780 of 3559 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Super Bowl looking Fantastic. Having problems with audio but only on commercials. Using OTA here in Utah. Wish the rain would stop so it would look even that much better!

·
Registered
55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by quik /forum/post/0

Does the Vizio accept 1080p on the component input (@60hz?). I have a VGA to component deal here i use on my other TV from my pc.

I believe the answer is yes. Users with XBOX 360 uses component connection for 1080p. For example: here

What deal do you get to convert VGA to component? I don't actually need to connect VGA at 1080p: 1376x768 looks great as computer monitor. What I need is a simple way to test the 1080p input (through component or/and HDMI) to make sure it works. I am not going to have 1080p input in the near future, but eventually, 1080p inputs are inevitable.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk /forum/post/0

Super Bowl looking Fantastic. Having problems with audio but only on commercials. Using OTA here in Utah. Wish the rain would stop so it would look even that much better!

I agree. Broadcast was in 1080i and the picture was incredible.

·
Registered
323 Posts

Quote:

I also had the audio dropping in and out here for some commercials only(Utah as well). Must have been a broadcasting problem because I switched to my HTPC with VBOX HD Tuner and had the exact same problem. So it wasn't related to the Vizio. And since you had the same problem...it was obviously a broadcast problem.

The game did look great. Especially the shots with a clean camera lens (stupid rain).

·
Registered
105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffXP /forum/post/0

I believe the answer is yes. Users with XBOX 360 uses component connection for 1080p. For example: here

What deal do you get to convert VGA to component? I don't actually need to connect VGA at 1080p: 1376x768 looks great as computer monitor. What I need is a simple way to test the 1080p input (through component or/and HDMI) to make sure it works. I am not going to have 1080p input in the near future, but eventually, 1080p inputs are inevitable.

Ok good 1080p VIA component works
Will try it tomorrow.

What i meant by the deal is I have a VGA to Component Transcoder (from key digital systems) I know its expensive as hell and not worth it but i bought it years ago for my TV at home for my PC. I can switch to use DVI and home and use the VGA to component transcoder on the Vizio 47" my folks have.

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaenaAzul /forum/post/0

Hi guys, I'm in desperate need for help. I'm hooking up my PC (ATI X1900) to this beautiful TV using a DVI --> HDMI Cable (24AWG, 35ft), that I bought in Monocable. Unfortunately, I've been unable to get 1920x1080 in full screen whenever I set that resolution in the CATALYST Control Panel. The weird thing is that I do get 1680x1050 in full screen by checking the option "scale image to full panel size". This doesn't work for the 1920x1080 res.

Any thoughts? TIA.

Sorry, I just saw this. From what I understand, there's a bug in the catalyst drivers. The temporary workaround is to manually force the refresh to be 75Hz (instead of 60Hz), so you'd be running 1920x1080 at 75. Doing this, I get full screen on my GV47 with an X1950 Pro and the latest catalyst drivers.

Found this: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=729041

I don't remember exactly how I did it, but I was able to manually set the refresh (not using the catalyst control center, but using the advanced display properties monitor tab).

·
Registered
12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by emok /forum/post/0

Sorry, I just saw this. From what I understand, there's a bug in the catalyst drivers. The temporary workaround is to manually force the refresh to be 75Hz (instead of 60Hz), so you'd be running 1920x1080 at 75. Doing this, I get full screen on my GV47 with an X1950 Pro and the latest catalyst drivers.

Found this: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=729041

I don't remember exactly how I did it, but I was able to manually set the refresh (not using the catalyst control center, but using the advanced display properties monitor tab).

Thank you! Changing the refresh rate to 75 solved my problem. I posted a guide on how to manually set the refresh rate in the link you gave me. Thanks again.

·
Registered
489 Posts
The Super Bowl was great. I had some audio issues, but I always seem to have them with CBS. It wasn't broadcast in DD5.1, but all the other channels were. I had the same issues during the AFC Championship a few weeks ago. The NFC Championship on Fox was in DD, but not the AFC. I'll stick the blame on comcast

·
Registered
28 Posts

Quote:

It was plain torture watching the game with the audio problems yesterday. My cable box is a TiVo series 3. Video is run from the TiVo to the 47 via HDMI cable, and the audio is run to an Onkyo receiver via a TOS cable.

It was pretty clear that CBS didn't know what they were doing. The game appeared to be broadcast in Dolby Digital. But the commercials were all over the place. Some were DD, DTS, or just plain old Stereo. It was really annoying. And every time they changed audio formats, of course my receiver had about a second or two of no audio while it switched.

Shame on CBS!

Erik

·
Registered
62 Posts
Saw the game yesterday and used the tv speakers at first, and moved to the 5.1 receiver as more people showed up. No problems with audio-sync whatsoever. Some people who came were very impressed with the PQ.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaenaAzul /forum/post/0

Thank you! Changing the refresh rate to 75 solved my problem. I posted a guide on how to manually set the refresh rate in the link you gave me. Thanks again.

Glad it worked for you, too. Nice guide.

·
Registered
404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edubbrulez /forum/post/0

It was plain torture watching the game with the audio problems yesterday.

I hear you. Much of it was CBS' fault (like the audio lag during the inroduction of the players but the rest was purely Vizio-related (e.g. commercials).

As much as I've defended this panel on this board, I am getting increasingly frustrated with the audio lag which has become my only major beef with this TV. I'm at my third unit now (Jan 07) build.

If a solution is not found some time within the next few weeks, I may very well get so frustrated one day where I pack it up and send it back.

·
Registered
28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brotherman /forum/post/0

I hear you. Much of it was CBS' fault (like the audio lag during the inroduction of the players but the rest was purely Vizio-related (e.g. commercials).

As much as I've defended this panel on this board, I am getting increasingly frustrated with the audio lag which has become my only major beef with this TV. I'm at my third unit now (Jan 07) build.

If a solution is not found some time within the next few weeks, I may very well get so frustrated one day where I pack it up and send it back.

The audio problems I saw were "drop-outs" not lag. It wasn't related to the Vizio at all (I'm not using the Vizio for audio - I'm using a receiver). There have been a few posts on the TiVo community forum with other users experiencing the exact same problem I saw yesterday. It was a CBS problem, not a Vizio or TiVo one.

Erik

·
Registered
5 Posts
Got the vizio 47 just right before the game, glad that costco manager let me get deal even though the coupon expired, so far I am happy with it.

I don't think the lag is neither the CBS nor the vizio problem. I also have the HDTV wonder from ATI and watch tv on my desktop, it does the same on some other channels

·
Registered
750 Posts
I bought one 47" Vizio when the coupon was available. I was so happy with it I wanted a second one for my bedroom, but the coupon was expired by then. I went back to my local Costco with my receipt from when I bought the first Vizio with a coupon. The local Costco had two 47" Vizio's left with the original $1,899 price. I asked the manager if he would price match the 47" Vizio for the $1,649 that I bought it for a couple weeks ago. He looked at me and his eyes popped out, and made the comment something to the effect "are you crazy, you want me to loose my job or something...". "No way I can price match an expired coupon."

So, I wound up ordering the 47" Philips LCD on costco online they have going on right now for $500 off.

I do have the speaker hum issue on the Vizio, but when I set the backlight to 96% or higher, it goes away.

Is it worth calling Vizio and getting them to replace the board? Or should I just live with it? What are other people doing?

By the way, the 1st 47" Vizio I bought from Costco had two stuck pixels. (One stuck red and one stuck green). So I returned it 2 hours later and got a 2nd 47" Vizio. The second one works like a champ, except for the speaker hum.

·
Registered
486 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brotherman /forum/post/0

I saw an interesting product that might help us. Just google for "gefen home theater scaler". It upconverts inputs to 1080p. It even has an audio lag setting to help sync audio and video. That would cure the overscaling and the audio sync issues.

BTW, brotherman, is your audio lag thru the built in speakers? Does the video lag behind the audio or vice versa?

2761 - 2780 of 3559 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.