AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 905 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just tried hooking it up to a couple of different machines.

I was able to hook up my Windows XP machine (with a Radeon 9000) to the display through the VGA port to get 1360 x 768 (standard rez on radeon). I was then able to use powerstrip to get it to render at 1366x768 (which is the native rez of this panel).

For some reason I wasn't able to get the same results using a HDMI -> DVI cable on my windows box. VGA works - HDMI doesn't - on windows.

I then tried connecting it to the DVI port of my powerbook. Mac OS X detected it (surprise!) as a Visio L32 and showed a number of supported resolutions - the resolution closest to the native resolution was 1344x756.

I like the results but I don't think I would use this display as a monitor. I have a Dell 2001FP already (which is much crisper than this) and if I needed a bigger monitor I'd go with the 23" version of that (which runs cheaper than this and is native HD rez).

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just bought the Vizio L32 2 weeks ago from Sam's Club. This is a definite keeper.

I also own a Sharp 32" lcd, so I have had something to compare the Vizio to.

Let me tell you, there is not much difference in PQ between these two sets. I'll mention a few comparisons here in my mini review.

1. Black levels (very important to a lot of people) - The Sharp wins here. But not by much. During daytime viewing, the difference is non existant. Only during nightime viewing does the Sharp stick out, and even then the blacks are only a little deeper. Not realy a deal-breaker in my opinion.

2. Grayscale - There is no temp adjustments on the Vizio. (i.e. warm, standard, cool, ect...) However this is a non issue for me because the Vizio looks right on the money grayscale wise. More so than any of the temp settings on the sharp.

Vizio wins this one.

3. Colors - Equal here. Both tv's have great saturation of colors. Both look great in HD and DVD. The Vizio displays a bit more of a red push than the Sharp, but after cranking down the color setting I got rid of that. Even without losing the "pop" of the other colors.

4. HD Viewing - Equal here also. Both sets are stunning. No complaints here on either set.

5. DVD Viewing - The Sharp has a bit sharper picture here. I am using the same model of dvd player on both sets, so it's easy to compare. (a sony ns50) Color saturation is the same. The sharper more detailed picture on the Sharp could be because of the deeper blacks, but like I said, I'm not sure this is a deal breaker either.

6. PC use - I don't use either one of these as a PC monitor. I have a 26" Astar lcd/tv which I bought from Newegg.com that I use for that, and I'm very pleased with the quality of the Astar for PC use.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the Vizio L32. We originally had the Sharp in our family room used for home theater purposes. Both me and my wife have agreed that the picture quality between the two is almost the same. With the exception of deeper blacks on the Sharp, which are not that much deeper, both sets are very comparible. However, the cosmetic look of the Vizio goes better with our home theater set up in the living room. So we've decided to put the Vizio downstairs, and the Sharp is now up in our bedroom. By the way.....the plan when we bought the Vizio.....was to go in the bedroom.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Here are my settings using Avia:

HD/Satalite (Dish Network) via component:

Backlight - 70

Brightness - 52

Contrast - 60 (HD stuff looks better more vivid in my opinion) This setting can go between 50 and 60 but the picture is more brilliant at 60.

Color - 32

Tint - 50

Sharpness - 0

DVD via component (progressive):

Backlight - 70

Brightness - 55

Contrast - 45

Color - 25

Tint - 52

Sharpness - 0

Cable via coax:

Backlight - 70

Brightness - 56

Contrast - 65 (due to poor signal)

Color - 36

Tint - 50

Sharpness - 0 or 25 (can't make up my mind yet)

Hope these settings point you in the right direction. Also hope your loving this tv as much as I am. The picture is just amazing on it. I guess I'm just impressed with the quality for the price. I paid $500 more for my Sharp at Cost Co and just have a hard time justifying the extra money for the name. I really don't see that much of a difference in PQ. I might return the Sharp this weekend so I can pick up another Vizio at Sams. I'd like to see Vizio make a 37" LCD. We'd probably see a price tag around $1500 if they did.

·
Registered
57 Posts
At my local Sam's Club they had the Vizio on display right next to the Philips. The Vizio had a much more impressive picture. And I really liked the cosmetic look of the Vizio over the Philips. I like the black bezel with the silver trim and speakers on the bottom. That's why I ended up buying the Vizio over the Philips. Plus it was $400 cheaper. I've seen the Westinghouse at Best Buy and debated for a while on purchasing it. Pretty good picture quality. Then I heard about the Vizio and decided to check it out. I was pleased more with the Vizio than the Westinghouse. In the end I couldn't justify spending and extra $400 for another "no-named" brand LCD. Plus, If I was going to do that, I would have bought the Philips or another Sharp. Still really impressed with the price and PQ of the Vizio. Plus it has all the same connections as the name brand LCD. 2 HD component inputs, HDMI, ect.....Really you can't beat this tv for the price.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Before I bought the Vizio I compared it to the following LCDs

- Syntax Olevia

- Samsung

- Philips

- Westinghouse

Syntax was probably the most price competitive TV to the Vizio but I didn't like the picture quality and the design is just ugly. Very blah.

I saw a 37" Westinghouse which was probably twice the price of the Vizio.

Samsung and Philips have some great TVs but I felt like the price is almost 1.5 times that of the Vizio and the difference in picture quality does not justify that. I saw a 27" samsung for $ 1199 and a 32" philips (at costco) for $ 1499.

I think the clincher for me was that the design of the unit itself stands out among the other brands (kinda reminds me of the latest generation of Sharp Aquos displays) and that the speaker is mounted below the screen (as opposed to on the sides). That just fits my space much better.

What do I not like?

Well it would have been nice to have a built in HD tuner. The svideo port on the side of the LCD would have much better suited to be behind it with the rest of the ports. A regular DVI port would have been nice.

Since I use the LCD for mostly TV watching (tivo) I'm still coming to terms with the 4:3 aspect ratio of most regular TV stations. Kinda sucks to use a 16:9 panel in cropped 4:3 mode most of the time :-/.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anybody know what a good mount to use with this TV is?

I'm looking for a flush lcd wall mount (not adjustable). Hopefully at a good price.

·
Banned
5,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by khans /forum/post/0

Anybody know what a good mount to use with this TV is?

I'm looking for a flush lcd wall mount (not adjustable). Hopefully at a good price.

How about this one at Costco for $55.

22"-37" Tilting Wall Mount

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Khans: cannot see the vizio 32'' on samsclub website. therefore not sure of the price.

chrono03: Is costco going to keep vizio 32''. their website does not have it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
mallu2u: $ 999 at costco

(hope I didn't break some forum rule by doing that)

They're not on the costco website but they have quite a few units in the store.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The costco ID for the 32 inch LCD is. 932023. you will have to call your local costco to see if they have them in stock yet. All stores already have them on order, it is just a matter of time until they actually get to the store. I spoke with an administrator in a MI costco and he said the price would be "around a grand"

mallu2u: it isnt on the website, it is in store only

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hmm... I might be inclined to agree with Khans... Though i really want to "love" the philips model, the 500 premium for a tuner/cablecard is so steep.

I am waiting for the Vizio and the Maxent to show up in Costco stores and I will very likely end up with one of those too. i might as well buy some premium HD channels with the money I save.

1 - 20 of 905 Posts