AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have purchased a Vizio XVT472SV LED and would like to know if anyone has calibration settings. This is my first HDTV (just upgraded from my CRT) and could use some help. I would imagine that any size Vizio XVT LED calibartion settings would be transferable, correct? Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is what I have for watching BD discs on SV421XVT

Backlight - 80

Brightness - 44

Contrast - 54

Color - 42

Tint - 1

Sharpness - 3

Noise Reduction - Medium

Color Enchancement - Normal

Advanced Adaptive Luma - Extend

Backlight control - Off

Color Temp - Custom, all set to 128

Smooth Motion Effect - Off

Real Cinema Mode - Precison

A lot of these settings are pretty subjective. Backlight really depends on the amount of ambient light in the room. I find turning the Smooth Motion Effect on makes many things look like they're shot on video, but at times it does give some things an almost 3-D quality. I'm constantly tweaking these settings, and have always considered picture calibration an ongoing process. I find the same settings fine for games and Netflix. I don't have cable, so I don't have any settings for broadcast, sorry. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
You can change the settings for each of the 9 picture modes available on your Vizio so that they are the best for the lighting and viewing distance in your room separatlhy for each interface connection you are using with the possible exception of Vivid Mode which is designed with 100% backlighting in a store demo environement. I use different modes and have changed the preset values to different settings values for each of my 4 interfaces connection. A Motoroloa digtial PVR STB over HDMI, a Samsung HTIB DVD player over component, The Tv's inernal tuner, and a PC over VGA. You and your family members need to determine what works best for you from each of your sources since all human eyes do not see things the same even under different lighting condiitions.

\\

·
Registered
1,260 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilfromMaine /forum/post/18198516

This is what I have for watching BD discs on SV421XVT

Backlight - 80

I would highly suggest turning this down significantly. I have my 470XVT at 18. Yeah, at first it seemed a bit dark, but now I really like it. Black levels are much better but still have details. Overall image just looks more real, like looking at a window into the real world and less like an unnaturally bright alternate universe.

In addition, I notice the TV generates MUCH less waste heat. This can only be good for the life of the set, and I'm sure indicates a better level of energy use. Unless you have a LOT of ambient light, I would not set the backlight above 40.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. Being unfamiliar with HDTV's, the backlight setting was the one that was giving me the most questions. I am trying to have a normal HD viewing setting (with my Fios HD), a Movie Setting ( for DVD's and Blue-Rays over my PS3) a Game setting (PS3) and a Sports Setting ( for watching Hockey). I still have not yet connected my laptop. i am waiting for the new VGA cord to be delivered (no HDMI on my laptop).

I do get a significant amount of light in the room (one wall is all windows) and lamp light at night. During the day, the glare on my old CRT was so bad we would have to shut all of the blinds in the room as well as the curtains over the sliding door in the kitchen. I found that keeping the backlight in the 60's offers me my best picture.

Now I need to figure out the effects of noise reduction, MPEG NR, Luma, Smooth motion. This can be a little mind boggling trying to figure out how each one actually impacts normal viewing vs. sports viewing vs. movie viewing vs. gaming.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
When I first got the set I turned backlight way down to around 50 I think. Last night I popped in an old DVE disk in and ran through a few quick calibration screens. Everything was pretty much dead on using the default settings. Red & Blue were perfect, contrast and brightness were within 1. Green was very very close, however it was not possible to match green perfectly by changing the color, tint, or color temp settings so I left them all at default.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts