AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Just posted this on the Vizio FB page:

"I've owned a M650VSE since February and we love it - great picture quality. I was so impressed with it that when I needed another flatscreen, I only looked at Vizio models. I've recommended the brand to others, too.
The honeymoon ended last Tuesday when a push software update over wifi bricked my TV - it starts up, gives the V logo, then goes to a black screen and stays.
Your customer support gets high marks - the woman I spoke with in South Dakota was courteous, friendly, and patient in working through the troubleshooting steps. In the end, she scheduled me for a technician visit next Tuesday.

If I could turn off the push software updates and do it manually, I would. I'm very experienced in electronics and computers and I've applied many, many hardware updates on all kinds of embedded devices - a power cycle or network burp in the middle guarantees a problem. I'm glad it works for most of your customers most of the time but my TV proves the wifi-only option is not 100% effective.

Give me a manual option and I would not hesitate to buy a new Vizio product, ever."

·
Photographer
I have a nice display and a good sound system
17,663 Posts
I'm glad that you are getting a service call. I have a M550 and I never thought about the push update being an issue. I don't allow my TV to connect because I use my Blu-ray for smart apps and what not. Since I have no need to be connected, I'll keep your experience in mind and double-check for firmware update issues before proceeding. Thanks for the heads-up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

They wiped my post on FB within 10 minutes - guess it's not the type of thing they're looking for ...

I'll report back after the service call - I see posts where replacing the main board is required to fix a bricked TV. That seems harsh.

The customer service agent implied that the black screen after an update was a known issue.  They must have some design consideration for burps and interruptions in software updates or this would be a universal problem.  It must be statistically small enough that they've decided to fix the few that brick until the warranty runs out.  

So, after the warranty, I either buy the extended warranty or pay to have the TV fixed when THEIR software update process fails?  With NO option to turn software updates off other than to turn off the network access entirely?  That eliminates some of the main features of the television like Netflix and Youtube, etc.  The extended warranty becomes kind of a protection scam.

Of course, every time it fails, you lose a week of using your TV while waiting on the technician, too.  I hope the tech doesn't have to order a part and give us even more down time.  (Almost forgot to mention - I have to take the TV down off the wall according to Vizio.)

Not very impressive, Vizio.  You need to provide a manual-update-only option and downloadable firmware updates to make this a viable consumer product.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

The saga continues.  As above, my TV was bricked by a push software update on Tuesday last, December 3, 2013.  I called Vizio and they were very helpful working through the troubleshooting to tell us that a technician visit would be required.  The customer service representative gave me a onsite service request number and said that a visit from HDR was scheduled for a week later.  That would be tomorrow, Tuesday, December 10, 2013.

I heard nothing so I called HDR to check on the service call.  I quote, "That ticket was cancelled the next day because we don't have a technician in your area.  You need to call Vizio to see what other options are available."

So, nobody felt the need to let me know that?  Remember, Vizio had told me that I had to take the TV off the wall before the technician got here.  I am thankful I hadn't got around to that, yet.

Keeping calm and reserving my Anglo-Saxon vocabulary to myself, I hung up and called Vizio.  The customer service lady was again, very nice.  She said that HDR hadn't even let them know that the service call had been cancelled.  Hmmmm....

She put me on hold and got back to me in a few minutes.  They are scheduling Manna Freight to bring me a 'new TV' - well, a reconditioned TV, one that had been returned and tested to be fine and is being held at their warehouse for replacement purposes.

Okay.

I'm supposed to get a tracking number from Manna tomorrow or the next day that will tell me when the 'new' TV will arrive.  To their credit, I'm not supposed to do anything - the truck guys will take the old one off the wall and put the new one up.  I'll get a checklist to see if the 'new' TV is satisfactory and I have the right to reject it if I'm not satisfied, then call Vizio back to see what the new plan would be then.

If I keep it, it has either a 90 day warranty or the remainder of the existing warranty (those two are about the same at this point), plus I can buy an extended warranty if I want.  Hmmmm.

The customer service people have not offered to email me a firmware update to install myself via USB - don't know if the bricked TV would permit installation, anyway.  Vizio does not offer firmware on their website for this model, that I can tell.  The TV has no setting to prevent software updates being applied automatically other than to not connect to the internet at all - that option would mean you couldn't use any of the web applications on the TV.

Just wanting to let you know what you're getting into if you purchase a Vizio TV.  The whole thing originated with a push software update over which I have NO control.  It didn't work and now I have a black lump on the wall.  No TV for a week now, and it's starting to look like another week or so before Vizio responds.

·
Registered
18,419 Posts
I feel for you. While your case is probably in the extreme, this is not too uncommon for Vizio (having experienced my own problems with Vizio build quality and support in the past) and why one, I won't have a SmartTV unless I can either turn off all internet connectivity and two, which updates I want to install manually with a full explanation of what the update is for. All mfrs have issues but it seems that Vizio leads the pack.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the exact same issue with my M650vse. The cause was verified by the very courteous support person when I called vizio for service. And I quote "it was caused by a firmware upgrade vizio pushed out to this model and some others".

What bothers me is that I'm being told it will take @ 10 business days to get repaired and the tech coming to fix the issue without seeing it first and is bringing parts that may fix it. This time period is not acceptable, vizio caused the problem, I had nothing to do with it so I feel they should fix it or at least diagnose it within three days as I am still within the one year vizio warranty period.

Is there a fix out there the end user can try? Has yours been repaired yet and if so please tell me how long it took and what corrected the issue?

Thank you for any info

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm finding this the wrong time of year to have a problem. Since no technician is available in my area (so why is Costco selling something from Visio?), Visio is shipping me a recertified return TV. The techs that will install it are only in my area on Wednesdays and Fridays (no, don't live on the moon), so the 27th was the best we could agree on. I'm actually getting over my addiction to the DVR :^)

There's probably a hacker-y way to reset the computer and do the software upgrade, but Visio doesn't even offer firmware upgrades by any avenue other than over the net for this model. Repair/replace were the only options offered.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow and it seems that I have the same problem with my m650vse it just cut off and every time I turn it on it will get to the vizio name and turn off instantly!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

trey320 - Yes, that is the symptom.

AntonH - F/W update over WiFi is the only option available that I can tell.  Vizio doesn't offer a F/W download for this model and customer service didn't offer to send me one by email, so manual via a thumbdrive is out.  The one alternative would be to have the TV connected by ethernet to my router but I do not think that is what Vizio intended.

·
Registered
22,414 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffmiller52  /t/1504358/vizio-m650vse-bricked-by-push-software-update#post_24108521

The one alternative would be to have the TV connected by ethernet to my router...
While I was waiting, I'd try "wired" Ethernet... just for kicks.

·
Registered
18,419 Posts
^^^^^ yeah, it might be a mess with cables and routers etc all over the living/family room but if it works, there's your answer without a service call and someone messing with your tv. That's one of the reason why I decided to drop a conduit in the walls and run CAT-6 so as to hardwire my HTS and not be dependent on WiFi for anything. If Vizio only allows updates via WiFi (no USB/ethernet) then I'd look elsewhere because as a customer/consumer, you should be allowed how you choose to update your tv. WiFi reliability is not the same for everyone all of the time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
When i called customer service they did not tell me about this issue with the the f/w but I remembererd she asked me did I have the tv connected to internet via wifi I told her yes then she put me on hold and came back with a number to the company that can service the tv in my area.

·
Registered
18,419 Posts
Wow. It's a shame that you have to call service because of an update that you didn't have any choice on when, or how you received it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

The replacement TV arrived Friday the 27th as promised.  I had a 12 to 4pm appointment which they made easily despite a 3 hour delay that morning to change a tire on the truck.  

The installers (Speedy-Pak) did everything - taking the old TV off the wall, unpacking and installing the 'reconditioned' TV.  They did make a point of ensuring I knew the TV was not 'new' but 'reconditioned'.  

The appearance of the TV was like new - it had no marks or scratches and was covered in the protective film and wrapped with foam and in a new box just like the one I got from Costco.  If this was a return, whoever had it didn't use it - the box may have been opened but the foam covering and the plastic protective wrap looked just like factory.  One thing was that It came without any accessories - no stand or remote.  

I'd already thrown the first stand away (wish I hadn't - you have a real estate problem handling two TVs - where to put both down at one time so you can swap the wall mount.

The TV worked fine but there is a lot of setup to get the new one going - passwords and registration and such.  The installers were to wait for me to assure myself I was satisfied but it was apparent they were in a hurry to go so I checked the picture on HD on several channels and the operation of the remote and did take time to connect the TV to my wifi to ensure that worked.

Twice since Friday, when I turned the TV on, there was a notice of a firmware update.  I was cautious to leave the TV on and after a brief delay, the TV resumed normal operation each time.

So far, so good.  We'll see.  Vizio tells me I have a new 90 days warranty or what's left of the original warranty.  Costco concierge service says I have a two year warranty from the purchase date since I bought it from them.  Who knows?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I was 10 months into the 12 month warranty.  They tried to send someone to fix the old one first, but found they didn't have a technician in the area.  

Vizio customer service provided and shipped a replacement TV to me at their cost.  The TV is one that was returned to Vizio and then tested to ensure it would operate like a new one.  It was packed just like a new one except it came with no accessories.

The delivery guys unpacked it, took the old TV off the wall, moved the wall mount from the old one to the new one, and put the new TV on the wall.  They connected the cables and got it working so I could assure myself it was working okay.

They also packed up the old TV and took it away.

It was pretty good service but I was without a TV for almost a month - the holidays are a bad time to have this problem.  

·
Registered
5 Posts
So after a couple of months of being upset with vizio and not having my big screen I decided to go ahead and have a technician to come and fix the problem. They told me that the main board has to be switched and it would cost me $271 to fix the problem. Wow!! Thanks vizio!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Vizio M650SVE or other TV Model Owners that had their TV bricked in Dec 2013

Please join me so we can address this bad behavior by Vizio. This was a known problem as Vizio knew that sending out the update would brick a certain % of TVs, they were driven by greed. This action was taken in December 2013 knowing that families would be without a TV during the holidays. Almost 600,000 TVs were at risk.

I need some people that were affected so we can file a lawsuit. Vizio has other class actions pending for illegal/unethical behavior, we need to take a stand against this kind of company! Post here and I will follow up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts