AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Vizio P-series now supports HLG HDR?

I was playing around with HDR videos that I produce for my Vizio P75. We knew that HDR10(PQ) would work with a Google Chromecast device and YouTube. However, up till now there was no indication that HLG would ever be able to work with the Vizio P-series.

That may have changed though. I tried playing the HLG HDR video I made below through the Chromecast Ultra tonight and now the Vizio onscreen info bar shows HLG HDR is being received.

The Vizio Display Information screen shows HDR = Unknown. However, it does appear to be decoding HLG HDR now from the Chromecast Ultra. If it doesn't receive HDR then it shows HDR = No.

I have a Panasonic camera that allows me to shoot true HLG HDR 4K video and this is the one thing that I always feared the Vizio P-series displays would not support. Apparently HLG HDR support was recently added to the Vizio P-series. Try it yourself if you have that display.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
@mpgxsvcd

Interesting. Does the display switch into HDR mode (as in you notice the backlight goes into 'full-tilt' mode) and does it look noticeably better than SDR?
What I mean is besides it being able to recognize it as an HLG video, does it actually display it like it's supposed to?
And have you tried casting that video to the built in chromecast? I'm guessing that it will not work.

Edit: Just tested it myself, sadly no HDR, but it seems that 4K videos work just fine by casting them from YouTube on this firmware.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@mpgxsvcd

Interesting. Does the display switch into HDR mode (as in you notice the backlight goes into 'full-tilt' mode) and does it look noticeably better than SDR?
What I mean is besides it being able to recognize it as an HLG video, does it actually display it like it's supposed to?
And have you tried casting that video to the built in chromecast? I'm guessing that it will not work.

Edit: Just tested it myself, sadly no HDR, but it seems that 4K videos work just fine by casting them from YouTube on this firmware.
Yes it switches the P-series into its HDR mode. For Vizio HDR mode is 50 for backlight. That number is really just a placeholder to represent that the TV has taken control of the backlight.

I made an HLG and HDR10 test video with the colors pushed to the extremes. That video looks OK in HDR10 when played in HDR. However, it is literally unwatchable in SDR. However, the HLG version looks OK in SDR. Not great because it looks a little underexposed but at least it is watchable. Then when you play the HLG version through the Chromecast to the Vizio it looks excellent. You can see an obvious difference between when you cast the HLG video directly to the TV and it plays in SDR and when you cast to the Chromecast which plays in HDR.

I think this test has proven that Vizio actually does have true HLG HDR support now. However, I am on their Beta firmware list so it is possible that this feature hasn't been enabled for everyone yet. It should be coming in the near future though.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
We're on the same firmware, 3.4.8.5 is the latest. I guess that the silly VP9p2 requirement for YouTube is what is preventing it from working.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We're on the same firmware, 3.4.8.5 is the latest. I guess that the silly VP9p2 requirement for YouTube is what is preventing it from working.
Yes, I believe the Chromecast Ultra is decoding the VP9p2 and outputting an HLG HDR signal the Vizio TV now supports with the most recent firmware update.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts