AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will be buying a new 65" 4K TV shortly. I can't decide between the VIZIO P65 and the SAMSUNG 65KS8000 (open to the KS8500 if people thinks curves are worth it). I will mostly be playing games and watching movies/tv in a pretty brightly lit room.

Please decide for me!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Can't go wrong with either really, expect to buy a soundbar for the vizio that kind of negates the price savings between the two. I don't like samsungs smart interface so my pick would be the vizio.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have owned both. These are my thoughts:

Vizo Pros:
-better picture in a dark room
- apps that you cast with Vizio can pass Dolby Digital + to the receiver
- more future proof since it has Dolby Vision and HDR10(at a later date)
- best for gaming; lowest input lag
- can create multiple picture configurations

Vizio Negatives:
- no internal apps and you can't get Amazon on the tablet
- no tuner
- app interface is done through the tablet which means you have to deal with the mobile version of apps. This is a negative because the TV version of apps like Netflix and Vudu allow you to do scene selection, while the mobile versions you have to mess with the slider and hope you stop at the right point
- casting requires more steps . i.e, open app, find content, hit cast button, select device to cast to. Then if you switch between apps you have to start those steps all over.
- larger bezel

Samsung Pros:
- better picture in a brightly lit room
- has Amazon
- better colors
- built in tuner
- apps are easy to access; can be pinned right to the home screen launch, switching between apps and OTA TV content is faster and requires less steps
- small bezel

- Samsung Negatives:
- light bleed
- blooming when seeing white text with a black background
- limited to the picture modes the TV comes with Standard, Dynamic, Movie as opposed to being able to create and save a picture mode named "PS4" for example.
- poor remote; needs more buttons
- TV won't passthrough Dolby Digital+ from apps like Netflix and Vudu. It converts DD+ to DD before sending it to your receiver
- Only has HDR10. Not an issue if you buy 4k Blu-rays, but streaming content in HDR10 is very limited.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I would add that the modes on the Samsung can be changed and modified to whatever you want. Also, Samsung just added a HDR+ mode that does a pretty good job of simulating HDR with SDR content.

There is plenty of HDR10 streaming on Amazon. You need an external device to steam from amazon on the Vizio.

Lots of people seem to have banding issues with the Vizio.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Will be buying a new 65" 4K TV shortly. I can't decide between the VIZIO P65 and the SAMSUNG 65KS8000 (open to the KS8500 if people thinks curves are worth it). I will mostly be playing games and watching movies/tv in a pretty brightly lit room.

Please decide for me!
What did you end up going with? I'm in the same situation now

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have owned both. These are my thoughts:

Vizo Pros:
-better picture in a dark room
- apps that you cast with Vizio can pass Dolby Digital + to the receiver
- more future proof since it has Dolby Vision and HDR10(at a later date)
- best for gaming; lowest input lag
- can create multiple picture configurations

Vizio Negatives:
- no internal apps and you can't get Amazon on the tablet
- no tuner
- app interface is done through the tablet which means you have to deal with the mobile version of apps. This is a negative because the TV version of apps like Netflix and Vudu allow you to do scene selection, while the mobile versions you have to mess with the slider and hope you stop at the right point
- casting requires more steps . i.e, open app, find content, hit cast button, select device to cast to. Then if you switch between apps you have to start those steps all over.
- larger bezel

Samsung Pros:
- better picture in a brightly lit room
- has Amazon
- better colors
- built in tuner
- apps are easy to access; can be pinned right to the home screen launch, switching between apps and OTA TV content is faster and requires less steps
- small bezel

- Samsung Negatives:
- light bleed
- blooming when seeing white text with a black background
- limited to the picture modes the TV comes with Standard, Dynamic, Movie as opposed to being able to create and save a picture mode named "PS4" for example.
- poor remote; needs more buttons
- TV won't passthrough Dolby Digital+ from apps like Netflix and Vudu. It converts DD+ to DD before sending it to your receiver
- Only has HDR10. Not an issue if you buy 4k Blu-rays, but streaming content in HDR10 is very limited.
So I'm in the same situation, can't decide between the two. I know the vizio got a higher video game score but the Samsung got the higher PC monitor score. Which would be better for PC gaming?

·
Registered
296 Posts
So I'm in the same situation, can't decide between the two. I know the vizio got a higher video game score but the Samsung got the higher PC monitor score. Which would be better for PC gaming?
I don't really know. I still PC game on a 1080p TV. On paper, it looks like the only thing you'd be losing by going with the Sasmsung over Vizio is the reduced input lag and being able to do 1080p at 120hz. At the moment, Vizio has not updated it's HDMI ports from 2.0 to 2.0a, so you can't pass HDR through them, which might matter to you for newer PC games and graphics cards that have that support.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't really know. I still PC game on a 1080p TV. On paper, it looks like the only thing you'd be losing by going with the Sasmsung over Vizio is the reduced input lag and being able to do 1080p at 120hz. At the moment, Vizio has not updated it's HDMI ports from 2.0 to 2.0a, so you can't pass HDR through them, which might matter to you for newer PC games and graphics cards that have that support.
Would that also mean that i could't use Amazon Video from my Pc to stream HDR content to the Vizio? Because i know they don't support Amazon at the moment.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I've also had both. If I had to choose between the two, I'd go Samsung. Colors are way better and upscaling is much better. However, light bleed is an issue, especially on HDR content. I actually ended up with a Sony 930D and am extremely satisfied. I love this thing. Worth the extra $ if you find it on sale.

XBR65X930D, K8500, SB4551-D

·
Registered
296 Posts
Would that also mean that i could't use Amazon Video from my Pc to stream HDR content to the Vizio? Because i know they don't support Amazon at the moment.
Not until they release the HDR10 update, although it sounds like that might be soon. Although I'm not of aware of Amazon Video from a PC being able to stream 4K HDR at all. You need an external 4k HDR streaming device that has the Amazon app, or a TV that has the Amazon app, so if you go with the Samsung you're covered.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The difference in color gamut coverage is so minuscule that it doesn't even matter. Both aren't even close to Rec 2020, so it's an irrelevant argument. You won't even be able to tell a difference between 90% DCI P3 vs >95% DCI P3 unless you're lying, which seems to be the case with posters here.

Contrast Ratio is mediocre on the Samsung at best. It's an edge-lit TV in the end of the day. Go with the Vizio, or go OLED. Don't bother with those overpriced edge-lits.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts