AVS Forum banner

VIZIO P65 or SAMSUNG KS8000: Decide for me!

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Oledtech 
I have owned both. These are my thoughts:

Vizo Pros:
-better picture in a dark room
- apps that you cast with Vizio can pass Dolby Digital + to the receiver
- more future proof since it has Dolby Vision and HDR10(at a later date)
- best for gaming; lowest input lag
- can create multiple picture configurations

Vizio Negatives:
- no internal apps and you can't get Amazon on the tablet
- no tuner
- app interface is done through the tablet which means you have to deal with the mobile version of apps. This is a negative because the TV version of apps like Netflix and Vudu allow you to do scene selection, while the mobile versions you have to mess with the slider and hope you stop at the right point
- casting requires more steps . i.e, open app, find content, hit cast button, select device to cast to. Then if you switch between apps you have to start those steps all over.
- larger bezel

Samsung Pros:
- better picture in a brightly lit room
- has Amazon
- better colors
- built in tuner
- apps are easy to access; can be pinned right to the home screen launch, switching between apps and OTA TV content is faster and requires less steps
- small bezel

- Samsung Negatives:
- light bleed
- blooming when seeing white text with a black background
- limited to the picture modes the TV comes with Standard, Dynamic, Movie as opposed to being able to create and save a picture mode named "PS4" for example.
- poor remote; needs more buttons
- TV won't passthrough Dolby Digital+ from apps like Netflix and Vudu. It converts DD+ to DD before sending it to your receiver
- Only has HDR10. Not an issue if you buy 4k Blu-rays, but streaming content in HDR10 is very limited.

So I'm in the same situation, can't decide between the two. I know the vizio got a higher video game score but the Samsung got the higher PC monitor score. Which would be better for PC gaming?
I don't really know. I still PC game on a 1080p TV. On paper, it looks like the only thing you'd be losing by going with the Sasmsung over Vizio is the reduced input lag and being able to do 1080p at 120hz. At the moment, Vizio has not updated it's HDMI ports from 2.0 to 2.0a, so you can't pass HDR through them, which might matter to you for newer PC games and graphics cards that have that support.

Would that also mean that i could't use Amazon Video from my Pc to stream HDR content to the Vizio? Because i know they don't support Amazon at the moment.
Not until they release the HDR10 update, although it sounds like that might be soon. Although I'm not of aware of Amazon Video from a PC being able to stream 4K HDR at all. You need an external 4k HDR streaming device that has the Amazon app, or a TV that has the Amazon app, so if you go with the Samsung you're covered.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.