AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum so I hope this is where I can post this question.

Anyway, I have a Vizio 42" Plasma TV (VP422) that I'm fixing. Im replacing one of the F-buffers (still waiting for the part) because the owner had put in a screw that was too long and scrapped the ribbon cable and connectors. Well, I got that fixed but the front glass on the Plasma is cracked but the Plasma panel behind it is intact. I went ahead and just removed the cracked glass and put the Panel back onto the trim. I was wondering whether I can watch the TV fine without it? It seems like the actual glass had some tint to it but dont know what its purpose would be other than for protection. I couldnt find any place that sells brand new glass panels so it might be my only option.

Any thoughts whether I will be able watch TV without it? (as soon as I get that F-buffer).

Heres some pics of the glass:

·
Vendor
32,767 Posts
A standard piece of glass 1/8 of an inch thick is only $45. I am sure you will be testing it without the front piece of glass, stop back in and let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have a website where I can buy it at? I noticed it also has the black trim that covers up all the electric stuff on the side of the Plasma panel along with the tint. So it's not ordinary just an 42" glass.

I sure will post a picture up when I test it W/out it.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
the vizios have two sheets of glass on the front?

I keep forgetting that most plasmas do.

The front sheet is for contrast right?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys, I forgot about this thread. Here's up update. I fixed the Plasma and I got a hold of a glass panel from another 42" Plasma that didnt power on. Unfortunately, it is not the same size as the glass panel that was originally in this TV. So either I can just use the TV WITHOUT the glass or I can get the glass that I got a hold of and get it cut but may risk the chance of breaking it if it's tempered or has been treated somehow. I dont know what to do as of yet but heres some pictures for anyone who has ever wondered how a Plasma looks without the glass panel in front of it. Im sure this will be helpful to some who have cracked plasma tv's.

Personally, it doesn't look that bad. I think the glass mainly provides some contrast and smooths some of the picture. The one thing that bothers me is how it looks like when it's off; really pale! Other than that, picture looks good to me. Not as bad as I thought it would be. Heres the pics:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts