AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about buying this model to my not-so-big living room.

Since it doesn't have an HDMI input, and I watch most of my shows by connecting my computer to the TV (using HDMI). I was wondering if there's a setup I can do with this model that would allow me to watch most of my shows with my laptop with the this speaker set.

I assume there's the option of just connecting my laptop through HDMI to my tv, then connect my tv's audio out to the soundbar. would that work and create real surround sound ? I assume that depends on the tv capability in trasmistting surround sound, and since it's a 6 years old TV, I'm not sure it has that capability.

The better solution would be to connect the laptop directly to the sounds bar for the audio, and somehow transmitting the video to the TV, but since there's no HDMI input to this specific sound bar, I'm not sure it's possible.

What say you ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sending the HDMI to your TV, and then to your sound bar will allow you to pass the sound just fine. However, depending on the model of your TV it may not be possible to pass true surround sound to your sound bar. This would be a limitation of the TV and not the sound bar.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sending the HDMI to your TV, and then to your sound bar will allow you to pass the sound just fine. However, depending on the model of your TV it may not be possible to pass true surround sound to your sound bar. This would be a limitation of the TV and not the sound bar.
Yes, that's why I asked if there's a better option (connecting my laptop straight to the sound bar) that would allow me to get true surround sound without taking under consideration my TV's limit. I assume if there was an HDMI Input that would have been possible. Is there a way to do it without one ?

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, that's why I asked if there's a better option (connecting my laptop straight to the sound bar) that would allow me to get true surround sound without taking under consideration my TV's limit. I assume if there was an HDMI Input that would have been possible. Is there a way to do it without one ?

Thanks
If your laptop has a dedicated sound card it may be possible. I would imagine that the only way to get sound from the laptop to the sound bar directly would be using the headphone to RCA adapter. I haven't tested it yet, but I believe that the RCA can only send out 2-channel audio. Using HDMI to the TV will more then likely default to 2 channel as well.

Unfortunately, a lot of laptops aren't made with this kind of thing in mind, so it can be difficult to even get the option to do surround sound.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts