AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if this is a duplicate thread, but I was unable to find a thread dedicated specifically to this display.

There is an abundance of information on this forum about the M & P Series displays... I'm assuming this is because they are the higher end units.

I believe, however that with this most recent firmware update, which allows the E-Series to fully support HDR10 via HDMI & Cast, these units will become increasingly more popular... especially with their relatively low price.

(I know, I know... so many less dimming zones and less bells/whistles in terms of PQ adjustments when compared to higher end M & P Series)

But HDR10 support will still bring more budget conscious consumers on board.

For more information on VIZIO SmartCast visit VIZIO.com and for questions about the recent HDR10 update, visit support.vizio.com. E-Series models eligible for the HDR10 firmware update listed below.

Information From Vizio FEB Press Release:

VIZIO SmartCast™ 55” E-Series™ Ultra HD Home Theater Display™ (E55-E1)

VIZIO SmartCast™ 55” E-Series™ Ultra HD Home Theater Display™ (E55-E2)

VIZIO SmartCast™ 60” E-Series™ Ultra HD Home Theater Display™ (E60-E3)

VIZIO SmartCast™ 65” E-Series™ Ultra HD Home Theater Display™ (E65-E0)

VIZIO SmartCast™ 65” E-Series™ Ultra HD Home Theater Display™ (E65-E1)

VIZIO SmartCast™ 70” E-Series™ Ultra HD Home Theater Display™ (E70-E3)

----------------------------------------------------------------

I can confirm that using Netflix to cast, HDR10 is now compatible with the above specified E-Series 4K Models.

Please feel free to share your settings and information for the benefit of users.

Thanks guys.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Vizio 2017 E-Series - Unable to play 4K HEVC via Plex

Greetings - first time poster here...

I purchased a 2017 E-Series 60" display (Model E60-E3) last week, and I am unable to play 4K HDR HEVC content hosted on my local network. I have attempted to play this content via SmartCast using Plex (local media server, casting via Android or PC) and Kodi (external HDD attached to router, casting via LocalCast), but all attempts have been unsuccessful. LAN bandwidth is not causing the issue, and I am able to play 1080p H.264 content with no issues using Plex or Kodi (also, 4K HEVC is working on other devices in the network using both services). I have also attempted to play 4K HDR HEVC video files directly to the TV via a USB drive, which also failed (TV doesn't even recognize drive). The product specs page on Vizio's website states that the display supports HEVC (H.265) and VP9 codecs for UHD playback. I have spent the better part of three days researching and troubleshooting this issue... finally admitting defeat and turning to the interwebz for help.

I think I read somewhere on this forum (Vizio M- or P-Series owner's thread... maybe?) that Vizio's last firmware update resulted in SmartCast not supporting locally-hosted 4K HDR HEVC playback. Could that potentially be affecting the E-Series as well?

Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated... thanks!

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
My wife texted me while I was at work:
"A thing happened ..."

Turns out our eldest had been playing GORN, a VR game where you punch people, (wearing a scuba-mask headset where you don't see anything of the "real" environment around you.)
And, despite me calibrating the "virtual fences" 2 feet away from the TV wall, the TV now looked like this:

This was a Sharp Aquos 54", which was a nice display in the times of CFL backlighting (about 2008?)
However, these days, almost anything you can buy is nicer. After briefly considering projectors, wife and I decided on another wall mounted display. However, it didn't need to fit the recess, so we could trace up in size. Wife still wanted some margin to the edges of the "chumney" so 65" seemed alright.
Looking at all the TVs, they are ALL "smart," which I think is the dumbest thing imaginable. I don't want a TV that stops working because the manufacturer made a boo-boo in network management. I don't want a TV that suddenly turns into a tool for North Korean hackers because the cheapest firmware development house forgot about negative buffer indices. I don't want a TV that takes years to boot up just because they couldn't bother to pay another $2 for a faster microcontroller.

But, the Vizio was actually the least "smart," and more importantly, the only real "smarts" advertized was a Chromecast.
I already have a Chromecast Ultra as a source (my room uses an Emotiva XMC-1 as the main signal switcher, and the TV is just a dumb display.) 2160p and HDR10 might be nice, although my pre-run cable in the wall (50 feet of Monoprice, again 2008 era) probably won't support it.

So, off to Best Buy we go, and within 10 minutes we have a Vizio E65-E1 in the back of the wagon! That was easy (well, not on the emergency fixing-things fund, but at least we do have one of those ...)
It was on sale yesterday; it's regular price today, so yay!

I had to extend the wall mount, because the 5" recess meant the mount (also Monoprice!) didn't reach out to o the back of the TV (it's wider than the recess.) So, another late trip, and I made it to the Home Depot before they closed. Saw down a 4x4 to a few pieces, lag screws into the studs, and TV mounting could continue.

Long story short: It works, and looks good so far, and I haven't even tried driving it at anything > 1080p yet.

One bummer: The TV does not turn on when power is applied. I have to use the remote. My system is set up to turn on the circuit that drives the TV and powereed speakers using a 12V relay out of the receiver, so having to press two power buttons is annoying. I haven't found any setting to change this, so that's the question: Is there some way to get this thing to turn on automatically when power is applied?

·
Registered
225 Posts
My wife texted me while I was at work:
"A thing happened ..."

Turns out our eldest had been playing GORN, a VR game where you punch people, (wearing a scuba-mask headset where you don't see anything of the "real" environment around you.)
And, despite me calibrating the "virtual fences" 2 feet away from the TV wall, the TV now looked like this:

This was a Sharp Aquos 54", which was a nice display in the times of CFL backlighting (about 2008?)
However, these days, almost anything you can buy is nicer. After briefly considering projectors, wife and I decided on another wall mounted display. However, it didn't need to fit the recess, so we could trace up in size. Wife still wanted some margin to the edges of the "chumney" so 65" seemed alright.
Looking at all the TVs, they are ALL "smart," which I think is the dumbest thing imaginable. I don't want a TV that stops working because the manufacturer made a boo-boo in network management. I don't want a TV that suddenly turns into a tool for North Korean hackers because the cheapest firmware development house forgot about negative buffer indices. I don't want a TV that takes years to boot up just because they couldn't bother to pay another $2 for a faster microcontroller.

But, the Vizio was actually the least "smart," and more importantly, the only real "smarts" advertized was a Chromecast.
I already have a Chromecast Ultra as a source (my room uses an Emotiva XMC-1 as the main signal switcher, and the TV is just a dumb display.) 2160p and HDR10 might be nice, although my pre-run cable in the wall (50 feet of Monoprice, again 2008 era) probably won't support it.

So, off to Best Buy we go, and within 10 minutes we have a Vizio E65-E1 in the back of the wagon! That was easy (well, not on the emergency fixing-things fund, but at least we do have one of those ...)
It was on sale yesterday; it's regular price today, so yay!

I had to extend the wall mount, because the 5" recess meant the mount (also Monoprice!) didn't reach out to o the back of the TV (it's wider than the recess.) So, another late trip, and I made it to the Home Depot before they closed. Saw down a 4x4 to a few pieces, lag screws into the studs, and TV mounting could continue.

Long story short: It works, and looks good so far, and I haven't even tried driving it at anything > 1080p yet.

One bummer: The TV does not turn on when power is applied. I have to use the remote. My system is set up to turn on the circuit that drives the TV and powereed speakers using a 12V relay out of the receiver, so having to press two power buttons is annoying. I haven't found any setting to change this, so that's the question: Is there some way to get this thing to turn on automatically when power is applied?
How are the reflections on the Vizio? How about taking an after photo for us!

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Picture from this morning, with room lights on. The reflections are no worse than the previous screen, and haven't been much of a problem for us unless there's direct sunlight (which happens from the right at about 3pm, which is not peak movie time but is a common gaming time)

Other learnings:

- The IR remote control is too weak to reach the TV from 10 feet away. I have to walk up to 6 feet or less from it, and aim at the bottom-left corner, for it to work. Generally, I don't like using remotes at all, and this just reinforces the feeling! I will have to wire up an Arduino IR flasher to turn it on once it gets power, and then the remote can go in the drawer-of-almost-never-used-things.

- The black was really gray when playing a game last night. Turns out, the default image control brightness setting of 50 adds too much base light. Turning that down to 46 made it just right.

- I have the image input settings on "game mode," "low latency" and "computer color space" which works great for the way I use it. Haven't measured the input latency for game controllers yet, though.

I've run myself into a bit of a problem:

I started out with a fully-1080p system in 2008 or thereabouts. It was based on a Sony STR receiver/switcher, the Aquos display, a 35 foot HDMI 1 cable run under the floor/through the walls, and going from RCA 7.1 out through a EbTech line level shifter through in-wall balanced wires to the powered speakers.

Last year, the Sony finally wasn't doing it's job anymore, and I had to find a replacement; I ended up with the Emotiva XMC-1. (Say what you want about its rather spare menus, that thing has done the job great; 8 HDMI ins; balanced 7.1 out; just what the doctor ordered! And the third-party Android remote app for it is just right.)
Separately, I've upgraded PS/3 to PS/4, Xbox/360 to Xbox/One, old MacMini to ChromeCast Ultra, and so forth.
Now, with the Vizio E65-E1, all the pieces of the puzzle claim to support 4K!

Except the cable in the floor/walls.

So, trying to watch the second AlphaGo game on YouTube last night, the ChromeCast Ultra (on my receiver, not the one in the TV) went to 4K, and the receiver went to 4K, and the TV thought it should receive 4K, and displayed "No Signal" because the wiring I have isn't up to snuff.
Here's the problem: The TV doesn't have a "downgrade to 1080p" menu option. The ChromeCast doesn't have a "downgrade to 1080p" option. The receiver doesn't have a "downgrade to 1080p" option. So ... suddenly, I find myself in a place where the devices refuse to negotiate a format that would work, and I get no picture.

Things I'm going to try:
- Shift the HDMI output on the XMC-1 to the second HDMI out. (I seem to recall this is 1080p only -- if so, this may solve the problem.) This is the "good enough" solution.
- I have a HDMI 2 signal booster on order from Amazon. We'll see if that can make 4K actually work, which would be sweet! (But not 100% necessary right now -- that's a long term goal.) If this option works, I need to do nothing else, and it's a full win!
- I also have a 50 foot HDMI 2 cable on order from Amazon. (What, a passive cable, 50 feet, HDMI 2 certified? I'm not 100% sure that's actually true, but we'll see.) The drawback, if this option works, is that I have to crawl under the house (about 2ft of crawl space) and fish the new cable through the walls.

In 2008, I also ran an optical (TOS-link) cable from the TV recess to the media cabinet in the back. The TV has digital audio out, for using with the built-in ChromeCast, BUT that's coax, not optical. So I guess another option would be to get a Coax->Optical transciever, and use the TV ChromeCast instead of the discrete one I already have on the receiver.

If I find something that's specific to the TV, I'll update this thread; else perhaps I'll post in my other thread.
Anyway: two days in, those are the two headaches (which seems mild compared to what COULD have been... maybe I'm just an optimist :)

Reactions: tonyjspr9

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
The Vizio doesn't automatically turn on when it gets power in, but this is a problem I can solve!

The final solution wraps up the wiring in heat shrink and conceals it behind the TV itself.
All it does is wait 10 seconds, then send the discrete on code every 2 seconds for another 10 seconds, then stops doing anything else until power goes off and comes back on.

If you want to duplicate this feat, let me save you 15 minutes of coding: https://github.com/jwatte/send_pronto_code

Reactions: doggie750

·
Registered
12 Posts
Help with new Vizio E65-E1

I just purchased this TV yesterday. 65". The first time I turned it on the colors looked off. It's hard to explain but it's putting green in places it shouldn't be such as people's faces, especially stubble. There is also a reddish pink color that dominates the image too.

I spent 3 hours last night adjusting colors. I first tried the settings from Rtings but it was really off. Lots of green. After fiddling wth the 11 point colors i was finally able to get skin tones halfway decent looking but then when a scene came on that showed a beach with a lot of colorful buildings it was horrible. All the colors were way off. Then it went to a scene inside a red tent and the reds took ever everything.

The E65 they had at the store had great color. I'm thinking this TV is faulty but I really don't look forward to boxing it back up and exchanging it only the new one does it too.

Is there anything I should try before exchanging it?

EDIT: I was playing with it again this morning. It seems like greens and purples are just way too strong. If you turn down green, the purples get worse. If you try to fight the purple, the greens get worse.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well I just went and looked at the display at Walmart and it has the same effect. Pushes green and pink/purple way too hard. Bright areas overtake the image too. This TV is going back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
3.3.18.1 firmware update

I just wanted to post on my experience so far with updating my E65-E0 to the latest firmware which allows for the native apps to appear on the smartcast home.

First I have to say that I am quite impressed with Vizio and their level of added support for their devices. I got this TV on a costco black friday deal last year.

I havent been able to get much out of the HDR so far due to a lack of support on Vudu's end (my primary service for viewing UHD content)

I was able to stream UHD through Vudu and Amazon last night. I felt it looked better than the image from my Roku 4. However the system is quite slow. Hopefully that changes. I have my TV connected via ethernet so connection is not the issue there. The roku is much faster but often buffers due to recent firmware issues that roku is having.

I would like to be able to re-arrange the order of the App icons on the smartcast screen but that doesnt seem to be an option that I can find currently. Perhaps the new remote I ordered will have a solution for that. My current universal remote does not work well in the native apps. It's not easy to navigate within an app. So im hoping that I can remap my remote once the vizio remote arrives. I just ordered it last night and the vizio email said 4 weeks. however others have reported getting theirs in 3-5 days so fingers crossed.

Overall Im quite happy with the update. I see this as room for a lot of progress and improved quality of content coming down the pipeline.

I hope others will comment on their E-series experience so far.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When was this update released? 🤔

Im not 100% sure, the vizio website does not even list it as the most recent update. From that I've seen in other forums its been out for at least a week. I just went into the menu and manually selected to check for updates and It ran me through the process. I would definitely do that on your unit if you have not already.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im not 100% sure, the vizio website does not even list it as the most recent update. From that I've seen in other forums its been out for at least a week. I just went into the menu and manually selected to check for updates and It ran me through the process. I would definitely do that on your unit if you have not already.
I definitely have the update... I didn't notice it because I mostly cast using the Quick Start method so the display power is usually off before I begin viewing content on the cast input.

Very nice to see Amazon Video added (lack of Amazon casting ability is the only reason I purchased Roku Premiere+)... Im very excited to see where they take this new feature. I probably won't use it much but the diversity is welcomed.

Here is the link to get the new free Vizio remote that pairs best with the Display and new update...

https://support.vizio.com/s/remote?language=en_US&l...m_source=43737

·
Registered
12 Posts
Figured I'd post a comparison in here since I had the E65-E3 for a few days.

I really wanted to like the Vizio. Price is good. Features are good. I liked being able to change settings from my phone. Picture clarity and motion is great.

But sitting any off center caused a green and purple to overtake things. Skin tones were difficult to get the colors right. Any dark or grey areas on a face, for instance stubble or grey hair, looked green. Light areas such as bright skies would have a purplish tint to them. It made everything look very unnatural. And trying to counter the green tint made the purple tint worse. Trying to counter the purple made the green worse. I could get skin tones looking okay, but colorful outdoor shots were faded and purple. I could make colorful outdoor shots look okay but skin tones were green. But even through all the adjusting, there was always a green shade that got worse the further you moved off center.

Blacks were hard to maintain too near bright areas. They had a tendency to turn blue. To fight that you had to turn the backlight and contrast way down.

I purchased a Sony XBR65X850E and had both TVs right next to each other. It was a night and day difference. Colors looked realistic right out of the box with the Sony. I only had to fine tune for brightness and added just a little more color to make it pop. Blacks are insanely good on it too. Overall I am ecstatic about the Sony.

I did have some judder problems when streaming from my FireTV, but I found that setting the output frequency on it to 60Hz fixed it. The motion on the Sony also has so many options, which is good because while I don't like the soap opera effect, I also need some motion to smooth it out. In fact, it has probably 2-3x more video options than the Vizio.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Greetings - first time poster here...

I purchased a 2017 E-Series 60" display (Model E60-E3) last week, and I am unable to play 4K HDR HEVC content hosted on my local network. I have attempted to play this content via SmartCast using Plex (local media server, casting via Android or PC) and Kodi (external HDD attached to router, casting via LocalCast), but all attempts have been unsuccessful. LAN bandwidth is not causing the issue, and I am able to play 1080p H.264 content with no issues using Plex or Kodi (also, 4K HEVC is working on other devices in the network using both services). I have also attempted to play 4K HDR HEVC video files directly to the TV via a USB drive, which also failed (TV doesn't even recognize drive). The product specs page on Vizio's website states that the display supports HEVC (H.265) and VP9 codecs for UHD playback. I have spent the better part of three days researching and troubleshooting this issue... finally admitting defeat and turning to the interwebz for help.

I think I read somewhere on this forum (Vizio M- or P-Series owner's thread... maybe?) that Vizio's last firmware update resulted in SmartCast not supporting locally-hosted 4K HDR HEVC playback. Could that potentially be affecting the E-Series as well?

Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated... thanks!
I've seen some older posts that plex can't stream H265 without making some kinds of change in the plex data file. I haven't tried to play a h265 until today and it played fine. I'm guessing the latest version of plex fixed this and we don't need to hardcode anything?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I just wanted to post on my experience so far with updating my E65-E0 to the latest firmware which allows for the native apps to appear on the smartcast home.

First I have to say that I am quite impressed with Vizio and their level of added support for their devices. I got this TV on a costco black friday deal last year.

I havent been able to get much out of the HDR so far due to a lack of support on Vudu's end (my primary service for viewing UHD content)

I was able to stream UHD through Vudu and Amazon last night. I felt it looked better than the image from my Roku 4. However the system is quite slow. Hopefully that changes. I have my TV connected via ethernet so connection is not the issue there. The roku is much faster but often buffers due to recent firmware issues that roku is having.

I would like to be able to re-arrange the order of the App icons on the smartcast screen but that doesnt seem to be an option that I can find currently. Perhaps the new remote I ordered will have a solution for that. My current universal remote does not work well in the native apps. It's not easy to navigate within an app. So im hoping that I can remap my remote once the vizio remote arrives. I just ordered it last night and the vizio email said 4 weeks. however others have reported getting theirs in 3-5 days so fingers crossed.

Overall Im quite happy with the update. I see this as room for a lot of progress and improved quality of content coming down the pipeline.

I hope others will comment on their E-series experience so far.
What are the model numbers of your old and new Vizio remotes?

Thx

·
Registered
526 Posts
just picked up this TV from Sam'sClub and so far it's been great! waiting for my Sony UPB-X800 to come in but so far watching WonderWoman on Bluray looks pretty nice! not getting the issues like mentioned above like the greens and purples? did try to run ARC back from the TV to my VSX1121 but got the HDCP error so i'm guessing i'll need to run an Optical cable from the TV back to the AVR instead. will report back after a week with more impressions.

Reactions: bukzin

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've got one on the way from Sam's as well. It is replacing a 1 year old Vizio 70 that was the only one that wasn't FW updated to HDR10. My Xbox One X looks great on the current Vizio so I'm hopeful the HDR is a nice addition.

just picked up this TV from Sam'sClub and so far it's been great! waiting for my Sony UPB-X800 to come in but so far watching WonderWoman on Bluray looks pretty nice! not getting the issues like mentioned above like the greens and purples? did try to run ARC back from the TV to my VSX1121 but got the HDCP error so i'm guessing i'll need to run an Optical cable from the TV back to the AVR instead. will report back after a week with more impressions.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I've got one on the way from Sam's as well. It is replacing a 1 year old Vizio 70 that was the only one that wasn't FW updated to HDR10. My Xbox One X looks great on the current Vizio so I'm hopeful the HDR is a nice addition.
AWESOME! Did you buy this at their 1 Day sale? this replaced my Sharp Quattron but really interested to see how well this will look with the Sony X800. still playing around with the apps but i think you gotta pay more to watch content in 4k like Netflix, Hulu and Youtube.

·
Registered
11 Posts
AWESOME! Did you buy this at their 1 Day sale? this replaced my Sharp Quattron but really interested to see how well this will look with the Sony X800. still playing around with the apps but i think you gotta pay more to watch content in 4k like Netflix, Hulu and Youtube.
I did get it for $878 from Sam's. Replacing an E70u-d3 from last year. Only the E Series got upgraded via Firmware

·
Registered
526 Posts
I did get it for $878 from Sam's. Replacing an E70u-d3 from last year. Only the E Series got upgraded via Firmware
same here!

1 - 20 of 100 Posts