AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Are you guys using one of the 2 Vizio remotes or a universal like Harmony?
I"m using my phone for SmartCast.

So my Sony UBP-X800 was delivered today and i immediately set it up. The only 4k disk i have is John Wick and after watching it for the first 30 minutes i'm amazed at what a difference a 4k display compared to just the normal 1080p i'm so use to watching over the years. Just from watching all the YouTube videos out there the X800 had very good reviews and was recommended compared to the Samsung 8500, XBOX One S and i think the other one was LG? My only issue i'm running into since my AVR doesn't have 4k pass through i used the 2nd HDMI (audio) on the X800 out to the AVR. However i wasn't getting any audio? Because i'm running ARC from the TV back to my AVR i thought maybe that was the issue so i unplugged the HDMI from the MONITOR OUT (HDMI) on the AVR and sure enough the audio started to come through. Now i'm just using regular HDMI for that connection but bought an HDMI cable for 4k from the X800 to the TV so i'm not sure if that's the issue or not? So whenever i'm just watching Netflix, Hulu and Crackle on the TV apps i'm fine with surround sound but if i switch over to the X800 i have to disconnect the MONITOR OUT (HDMI) behind the AVR for the audio to work. Kinda PITA! I may just use a Toslink cable and see if that works but i heard that i won't get all the Lossless Audio with an optical cable but really, does Netflix use Dolby TrueHD or DTS? Anyways, just wanted to share my temporary setup!

I've been messing around with the apps and IheartRadio is kinda cool when listening to music. Pluto is almost like having some cable which i thought was pretty cool. Still tinkering with the TV and i'll post my impressions after a week's of use :D

Reactions: jrip16

·
Registered
526 Posts
oh, when using Pluto there's a channel that supposedly plays 4k content but when i press the info button it will only display 720, 1080 or 480 so i'm not sure why i'm not getting 4k unless there's a setting i'm suppose to do? wasn't sure if anyone has tried it yet?

Reactions: bukzin

·
Registered
97 Posts
I definitely have the update... I didn't notice it because I mostly cast using the Quick Start method so the display power is usually off before I begin viewing content on the cast input.

Very nice to see Amazon Video added (lack of Amazon casting ability is the only reason I purchased Roku Premiere+)... Im very excited to see where they take this new feature. I probably won't use it much but the diversity is welcomed.

Here is the link to get the new free Vizio remote that pairs best with the Display and new update...

https://support.vizio.com/s/remote?language=en_US&l...m_source=43737

Got the basic remote that shipped with my new E70-E3. What additional will I get with the other Vizio remote?

(looks like it was free but now there is a charge for it ?)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just picked up the 65" E65-E1 and for whatever reason BB's site lists it as no HDR capability, Vizio and everywhere else do. Very odd. Set up TV last night with a new Denon S730H receiver and was immediately blown away. Had issues getting HDR to function correctly over HDMI. Found out that it has to be plugged into HDMI and you need to go into the input settings and turn on "Full UHD Color" to enable it. PS4 and Roku detect it fine. TV natively plays back x265/HEVC content and has Plex so the Roku Ultra I recently purchased wasn't even required (although to be fair I am not entirely sure if it sends all decoder formats over ARC). I am blown away by this TV. Blacks are black. Played Horizon Zero Dawn on my PS4 Pro for a bit and the lighting is amazing. It's pretty difficult to get me excited about something these days but I am just blown away at the quality of this screen. Picked it up for $699.99 during the BB Cyber Monday Sale and spent an extra $159 on a 5 year extended GSP so I'll be set for awhile now.

EDIT: The only thing I am unsure of is what the best video settings are to try. At some point I plan on getting a calibration tool but would like to know what everyone suggests to confirm that any weird motion blur is turned off. I think it *might* be on but it's also possible these videos I've been watching were actually in 4K/60

·
Registered
2 Posts
First time poster here...just got this TV and here's my experience so far with Vizio

I got this for the holiday season and one of the key features it was supposed to have is that it is capable of viewing 4K HDR content. I got it and lo and behold HDR is only available if your external HDMI source connects through the HDMI 1 port. This port also happens to be the dedicated ARC enabled port which you need to connect a soundbar. So if you want HDR then you can't connect your soundbar to the ARC port which enables you to seamlessly control the soundbar and tv together. Glaring design deficiency.

I then asked what if I tried to watch HDR content through the integrated apps through the TV itself (like Netflix or Amazon Video). He said HDR support is only available for content coming through HDMI Port 1. So even their integrated apps won't show HDR content.

I called Vizio support on that and the supervisor was insistent that it wasn't a design flaw and that I shouldn't really complain since this tv originally wasn't supposed to have HDR anyway and that it was something added on later. Rather than arguing with him I asked whether any other models had this glaring design deficiency. He said probably the P series didn't but that he couldn't look it up but told me to instead since it would take less time to do so. Pretty crappy customer service when they can't answer questions about their own products and tell you to do your own research. I will definitely be returning this TV and the related Vizio soundbar!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well, that's partially untrue. I have watched HDR content on Youtube as well as through Plex. The Netflix app might not support it but it's definitely possible.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I’m going to use my Vizio E55-E1 as my main Sports room TV. Are there settings on this forum that are recommended or recognized as being good? I have two other larger Vizio’s.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Can these new SmartCast Vizios get screen burn in? Went down to basement TV room and new Vizio had been left on the Cast input with nothing playing and there evidently is no screensaver on these units. Had a nature image up and Had been that way 3-4 days.

·
Registered
22 Posts
settings

Just wondering what people's recommendations are for settings for color calibration and other picture quality features for the best picture for home cinema on the E70-E3? (sources are generally 4k or 1080p HDR, either from disc or streaming).

Do you use "calibrated" or "dark calibrated"? Have any of you done a real calibration using testing equipment?

I'm interested in whether it makes sense to turn on: Black Detail, Xtreme Black Engine, Clear Action, Reduce Signal Noise, Reduce Black Noise, and Pure Cinema. I generally turn all these things off, but I wonder if anybody has done any real testing to understand which of these features it is reasonable to enable.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Since only hdmi 1 (arc) supports hdr can I connect all of my devices to an hdr-capable receiver using the arc port to get hdr support on all of them? I would like my 4K Blu-ray player and ps4 to both be hdr capable. When I hook them up to the receiver (hdmi inputs) do they all play on hdmi one arc of the tv now? Do I switch devices using the av receiver remote?

·
Registered
446 Posts
The Start of the Settings: Vizio E65-E1

Greetings Colleagues,

I am the Vincentfam, newly owner of the Vizio and formerly owner of a plasma hdtv, thanks to the daughter.

I am here to post settings for the Vizio E65-E1, using hcfr free software and the colormunki colorimeter for a slightly dim viewing room. I made many attempts before posting these settings, trying first setting gamma at 2.2 and targeting color temperature for D65. The initial picture appeared too dark with possible black crush, so I reset gamma at 2.4 and targeted a color temperature at 8000K for red and blue levels, set the brightness setting using the pluge pattern from the DVE HD disc and the sharpness setting with the DVE pattern. The contrast setting was adjusted for a measurement of 55 ftL @ 100% window pattern in a slightly dim viewing room. The color and tint settings were checked using DVE's color filters and the color pattern from the free AVS Forum disc. Field patterns were used from the AVS Forum disc as well. I had to slightly adjust blue offset in the color tuner section to level out the gamma curve. All enhancements were turned off.

As I become more familiar with Vizio's menu settings, I will post more settings. Please let me know if you want me to post the hcfr graphs, etc.

Here are the settings:

Aspect Ratio: Normal

Picture Mode: Standard
Auto Brightness: Off
Backlight: 100
Brightness: 51
Contrast: 43
Color: 50
Tint: 1
Sharpness: 3

More Picture:
Color Temperature: Normal
Turn off all enhancements
Color Space: Auto
Gamma: 2.4

Color Calibration:
Color Tuner:
Red Gain: -47
Green Gain: 0
Blue Gain: 14
Red Offset: 0
Green Offset: 0
Blue Offset: 1

Your colleague in picture quality,

The Vincentfam

·
Registered
446 Posts
Settings Using Color Tuner

Greetings Again Colleagues,

Herein is another updated posting of settings for the Vizio E65-E1, this time primarily using Vizio's color tuner instead of DVE's color filters to adjust primary and secondary colors and using "Calibration For Dummies" as a reference. The contrast was set for 50 ftL @ 100% White window pattern. I think that the picture quality improved.

Here are the updated settings:

Input Settings: HDMI-1, Full UHD Color: Off

Brightness: 50
Contrast: 41
Tint: 0

More Picture:

Color Calibration:
Color Tuner:
Gain: Red -44, Green 0, Blue 15
Offset: Red 0, Green 0, Blue 0
Saturation: Red 17, Green -9, Blue 0
Hue: Cyan 7, Magenta 11, Yellow -12

The Vincentfam

·
Registered
446 Posts
Updated Settings

Greetings Again Colleagues,

I made some observations and adjustments to improve picture quality. I tried adjusting the settings to D65 (standard calibration target) but the picture appeared too dark for me. I kept the color temperature at 8000K which gives the picture a slight 3D effect. I turned the tint setting back to 0 (the default setting) and that put the measurements for primary and secondary colors back within standard ranges for these parameters. The hue and saturation settings in the color tuner were set back to 0. Brightness settings in the color tuner were adjusted to bring the color primaries (Red, Green and Blue) to their proper amplitude ranges. This tv has a near perfect tint control. I have abandoned DVE's color filters and adjusted the colors with the HCFR software. I adjusted the contrast setting to 32 to lower the luminance @ 100% white window to 39 ftL, from 55 ftL in the first posting. This reduced my eye strain in looking at the tv is a semi dark room. I will look at more adjustments next weekend and may tweak these settings further.

Herein are the new settings (and thanks for the liked)

Contrast: 32

More Picture:

Color Calibration:
Color Tuner:
Brightness: Red 34, Green -5, Blue 1
Gain: Red -48, Green 0, Blue 18
Offset: Red 1, Green 0, Blue 1
Saturation: Red 0, Green 0, Blue 0
Hue: Cyan 0, Magenta 0, Yellow 0

The Vincentfam

·
Registered
446 Posts
The Vocabulary of Terms

If you are not familiar with the terms or words that I am using in my postings, google "calibration for dummies" the old version, which provides detailed descriptions on the terms used.

As always, your colleague in picture quality,

The Vincentfam

·
Registered
446 Posts
Brightness Setting in Color Tuner

Greetings Colleagues,

The picture looks better if you do not adjust the brightness setting in the color tuner.

The updated settings are as follows (changes in bold):

Contrast: 32

More Picture: