AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I searched the forums and found nothing similar to my problem.

I'm quite sure my problem is not related to misaligned signal data.

I have a two year old 37" Vizio SV370XVT LCD TV.

I've been experiencing a series of horizontal lines/bars flickering all throughout my screen. This occurs only if the TV has been off for about 10 hours,, then the lines slowly disappear after about thirty minutes of the TV being on. If I shut the TV off for more than 10 hours again, the problem returns. I posted a link below with pictures illustrating my problem.

I'm quite sure the problem is the TV itself, as this problem occurs on all of my three components connected to the TV, which are all connected to different HDMI ports.

I did a system reset via the menu, as well as unplugging the TV from the outlet, and pressing the power button down for 30 seconds. I also tried plugging the TV into a different outlet. Nothing resolved the problem.

My TV is out of warranty, so I was wondering if this is a job that could be done by myself, and what part I might need to replace.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have that same type of problem with our Vizio. And as you say, it depends on the off time on how long it takes to get the picture fully restored. When we have been away for several days it can take nearly 30 minutes to get the full picture back. The picture also freezes and periodically updates and this continues until the picture is fully restored. The sound is always fine. The chat line with Vizio has been of no help. They always pick on the cable box as being the problem, we don't have a box for our cable.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Yes it resolved everything not a problem since last year Dec. There is a tech online on their site that you can talk to as well before buying. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for your help!
So far your post has been the only bit of good information that I have found in all of my searching. It is too bad that the Vizio people can't seem to be able to diagnose their own products. Please excuse me while I go order my needed part. Installing it should not be a problem. I grew up in a TV repair environment, my Dad made a living doing that and I was his helper. That was in the early tube television days when they weighed a ton and were in nice wood cabinets. That's when the helper part came into play. He would marvel at what a TV is like today. Flat panel TVs were only a Star Trek thing back when he was alive.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Yeah Vizio phone techs sucks with that stupid reset thing that does not solve anything. If I were to get it serviced it would have cost me over 300-500 bucks to service, believe me I did my research. This TV is awesome with great color and good blacks. I bought mine refurb and it worked nicely for 2 months then I got this Issue and did some deep researched and notice they had 2 boards available. One for electric and one for video, so I went with the Video board and have had no issues since then. Shopjimmy also said it it didn't work they would exchange it for the electric board as well, so they were great and would not hesitate to buy from them again. Glad I could help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks afterlife2, for the information on what to replace in order to fix my problem. I do plan on purchasing the item you linked, though my TV hasn't been acting up badly as of late. So I'll probably put off fixing my TV until it gets to a point that it really bothers me. I'll post the results if and when I perform the fix.

One thing is for certain, I will NEVER buy a modern TV new, ever again. I'll either purchase a year old used TV, or a refurbished model. I paid $600 for my Vizio, and after only two years and a couple of months this problem cropped up. I'm damn glad I never bought an extended year warranty, as this TV would have failed just after the extended year expired.

I'm looking at the $60 fix I'll have to perform as money I saved by not purchasing an extended warranty that I wouldn't have been able to use anyways. I do love my SV370XVT, as it has 3 HDMI ports, VGA, S-Video, Component, and other inputs. Plus the color and video game play is absolutely fantastic on this TV, so the $60 board replacement will be well worth it to save this TV.

Thanks again for your advice.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Be careful copotica. The images you posted do not strike me as a Main Board defect. It looks more like a bad LCD Panel to me. If so, then the set is not worth fixing.

However, if you want to replace the Main Board anyway, make sure they will accept it back for a refund if it doesn't work.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Great! Happy to hear. Like I said take your time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The new board is in and so far so good. 30 screws out and back in makes your fingers tired.

Now we will see if it fixes the problem.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Make sure you post pictures of your NEW TV.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricrupe  /t/1423126/vizio-sv370xvt-lines-thr...not-signal-data-pictures-inside#post_22334002

The new board is in and so far so good. 30 screws out and back in makes your fingers tired.

Now we will see if it fixes the problem.

Do you plan on keeping your TV off for a 24 hour period? That should be a good initial test to see if that board was in fact the culprit.

Anyhow, good luck, hope all is working well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just turned it on after about 12 hours off time and getting lines at the top and short screen freezes.

I'm going to give it some more time and see if anything happens, good or bad.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Oh damn that sucks. Did you do a live chat and tell them it didn't work? Maybe they can give you an option. Mine worked right away.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have been hoping that when I turn it on the next time everything is working perfectly. But it doesn't appear that will be the case, if anything it may be getting worse. I will contact them and see if they have any solution. I don't understand how the amount of off time effects the picture and also the length of time that is required to resume the normal screen. It seems like there is something loosing memory during the off time. It's like a battery slowly going dead between charges.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just started researching a nearly identical problem and it seems it could be a bad power supply capacitor. I have inspected them and see no bulging. i'm thinking I may replace the 0500-0505-0690 Power Supply Unit which has several capacitors on it. It's out of stock for $39 an ShopJimmy.com. If I do replace it I'll post my results.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts