AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered this from Costco last week. Great picture, sound, customization etc. The new internet apps are really cool and work very well. Netflix streaming has never been easier and the picture quality is great. Oh and the remote is SWEET.


**SMOOTH MOTION OFF**(pretty sure it happens with it on also). Last night I was watching 30 Rock over netflix and noticed a strange "stutter?" Almost everytime a new scene would hit the screen, the screen would sort of twitch out and flash black pixels for a split second. It would also occur at random. Like I said it happens VERY quickly, but is very annoying. I messed with the settings and today I was watching on "vivid" instead of standard and the problem went away. It also never happens when I'm playing video games (on game or vivid setting). Only when im streaming or watching dvd's.


Now looking at standard settings vs vivid. Mostly the same with one exception: "Backlight Control." This is turned off with the Vivid setting, and is on DCR for standard. I'm not really sure what DCR or OPC under this setting really mean besides a contrast and power saving tool, but I'm thinking that could be the reason for this strange stutter.


Has anyone heard of this happening before? I'm wondering if it's just this model, my actual TV, an XVT problem etc etc.. If anyone has some feedback I'd appreciate it.


Paul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Is 30 Rock 4:3? I see a similar issue with any 4:3 content on Netflix. I posted this in the VIA thread but I get a jutter or jump with a green line at the top. Another member tested it with a couple of movies I mentioned and he got the same thing. I talked to Vizio about it and they claim to be working on a solution. I have the 552 by the way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure if it is 4:3 or not. It was happening with some dvd movies I was watching also. So its some kind of aspect ratio problem? Well hopefully Vizio fixes it, I was about to take my tv back to costco.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Mine 1 week old seems to have what I see as a flicker on both hdmi-1 and ota tv. Do you think It's the same thing? I have turned off some of the advanced picture settings, perhaps I need to change some settings?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Messed around with it some more and by simply turning off the Backlight Control in picture settings the problem stopped altogether.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,749 Posts
You should not be uisng Vivid Mode since that mode defaults to maximum backlighting and is only desigend for use in store demo systems in hight lit stores, for this reason itis also known as Torcha Mode. Us another mode and note that there are many different setting options avaialble and even then the aspect ratio settings are probably set saved separatly for each resoluiton received for connections using that mode.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Just got my 1st Vizio SV422XVT 4/3/10 from Costco. After initial setup, the picture and sound are great. However, I encountered problems REBOOT problem from time to time once the TV is running for a while, like 1-2 hours interval.


The remote control will become not working at first, then after few minutes, the TV just shut down by itself and the VIZIO logo will flash, and the TV restarted. Before the TV reboot itself, I also noticed that some channels, that I was watching, will show up "No signal on channel" in the display center. However, TV still having regular image except the message in the center which is annoying.


On some occassions, TV will actually lost signal and become full blue screen. There also one incident so far, that when I am using PIP/POP fucntion to watch both TV and my PC screen (thru HDMI-1), the PC screen (HDMI-1) will become full blue screen but PC is actually running normally.


Does anyone can give help me to answer these issues? I just use the default setting from TV but do have PC hook-up to HDMI-1 and I am using PIP/POP frequently. The PIP/POP feature is awesome and is what I need but the reboot of TV is very annoying and concerns me a lot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,749 Posts
Make sure you do not have any other IR remotes or devices in the room that could turn the TV on or off. Also make sure you do not have any flickering floursant lights.

You can try covering up the IR remote sensor on the front of the TV to make sure other device is causing your problem.

And make sure you don't have the remote set down upside down or if you are also using a cable STB to control the TV make sure it is not set down upside down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulCharles /forum/post/18187633


Messed around with it some more and by simply turning off the Backlight Control in picture settings the problem stopped altogether.

The Backlight Control is basically the notorious auto-dimming feature that darkens the picture when there are a lot of blacks on screen. Unfortunately, it dims the lighter portions of the picture as well and destroys shadow detail.


You likely would want it off anyway.


As xvzzz says, come on over to the 421/422 board. There's a guy on there who sounds like he's experiencing the same problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Hello all,


New to the site and looking for some help or advice. I was wondering if any other SV422XVT owners are experiencing any hums coming from the TV when it's turned on and set to TV connected via a antenna and set to mute. Also experiencing a stronger hum when LCD is set to AV and it's connected to a cable box via RCA cables. If I increase the volume the hum gets louder. If I pause what's on the cable box, it can be heard even more. If I mute the set then it stops humming, well it hums a lot less. I also have a dvd/vcr combo connected via Component Video and some audio cables and that also has a hum and it gets louder as I increase the volume. Is it normal for LCDs to hum? I did not think it was normal. I don't know if I am being picky. Although, I have a friend that owns a 40in Sony and I asked my friend to mute his TV and I heard no hum whatsoever. Thinking about exchanging the set or should I call the Costco concierge first? I read one post on the web that said this problem would require the replacement of the LCD or something like that, the person was not very excited about that and stated that he would be return the set. Any ideas, your assistance is appreciate it. Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
It does not sound normal but it is hard to tell if the issue is with the TV or with electrical grounding or with one of you components. I would start disconnecting all of your components and then start testing one at a time to see if you can better isolate things.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,662 Posts
Most sets will have a SLIGHT hum from the electronics, but you should never hear it unless you put your ear right next to the tv. Since you said it gets louder when you turn your volume up, that means you have a bad cable, or a ground issue. Try getting an extension cord and plug it into another plug that you know is on a separate circuit in your house. Then try plugging the tv and a component one by one into it and see if the hum goes away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzvvv /forum/post/18684648


It does not sound normal but it is hard to tell if the issue is with the TV or with electrical grounding or with one of you components. I would start disconnecting all of your components and then start testing one at a time to see if you can better isolate things.

Thank you for your reply XZVVV, I really appreciate it. I am not an expert in connecting electronics =) so when I read your comment concerning electrical grounding it got me thinking maybe I do not have the set plugged in correctly. Maybe my problem is that I have it plugged in to a surge protector. Is this recommended, to connect TV to a surge vs directly to the wall socket? Regarding the testing, at this time I only have a cable box connected to the TV via RCA cables, not the best choice but I need to get a HD cable box soon. I know that when I disconnect the cable box from the TV the humming stops, then I can only hear a softer hum from the set. Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitlet /forum/post/18685218


Most sets will have a SLIGHT hum from the electronics, but you should never hear it unless you put your ear right next to the tv. Since you said it gets louder when you turn your volume up, that means you have a bad cable, or a ground issue. Try getting an extension cord and plug it into another plug that you know is on a separate circuit in your house. Then try plugging the tv and a component one by one into it and see if the hum goes away.

Thanks for your reply sitlet. You know that's what I thought about most electronics. However when I tried on my friend's SOny 40 in. LCD TV, it was quiet. And I guess the hum I hear when not connected to the cable box is heard a lot more if I get my ear closer to the set. Yes it does get louder when I increase the volume when using the cable box, and I have tried a couple different cables and the problem still persists. This are not hig end cables, they are just the yellow red & white RCA cables, however I did try some Monster audio cables and the hum is still there. Like XZVVV you think this could be a grounding issue, so that will be my first test when I get home. I will connect the TV directly to the wall socket and not the surge protector. Thank you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
As per the suggestions made, I disconnected the components from the TV and as soon as I turn on the TV the humming starts. I tried plugging the TV directly to the wall socket versa a surge protector and the hum is still present. I don't know what's going on with the set. I got this TV as Costco so I will be calling the concierge and having someone come look at it.


Different issues: Recently I was watching TV and it just turned off by it's self. It has done this about 3 times since I bought it in May 2010. Has anyone experienced this issue with their sets?


Also, I used one of the VIA apps yesterday to watch a movie on VUDU and as I was looking through the different features in VUDU, the set started going blank, it sorta went to sleep. TV was still on but it had a black screen. I then hit the VIA button and it came back on. Not sure what this is all about, anyone experience this issue?


Thank you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,662 Posts

Quote:
. I tried plugging the TV directly to the wall socket versa a surge protector and the hum is still present.

Try using a different wall socket, specifically one in another room thats on a different circuit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,749 Posts
Tex,

Is there any possibility that you have interfrence in the room coming from flickering compact or regular flouresant lights or from any old dimmer switch that is not off?

Are you using any other IR remote controls in the room?

Is the signal source to your TV grounded?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
What firmware revision are you guys at who are seeing this issue? Just curious as i remember early on mine did the same but after the latest firmware update it went away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texican74 /forum/post/18743225


As per the suggestions made, I disconnected the components from the TV and as soon as I turn on the TV the humming starts. I tried plugging the TV directly to the wall socket versa a surge protector and the hum is still present. I don't know what's going on with the set. I got this TV as Costco so I will be calling the concierge and having someone come look at it.


Different issues: Recently I was watching TV and it just turned off by it's self. It has done this about 3 times since I bought it in May 2010. Has anyone experienced this issue with their sets?


Also, I used one of the VIA apps yesterday to watch a movie on VUDU and as I was looking through the different features in VUDU, the set started going blank, it sorta went to sleep. TV was still on but it had a black screen. I then hit the VIA button and it came back on. Not sure what this is all about, anyone experience this issue?


Thank you.

As far as your TV turning itself off, if you are connected to the internet which you probably are, it might be just a firmware update. I know my set has done this itself but it is usually after you turn it off, it will turn itself back on and update automatically. This might be it though since it happened 3x and not more frequently.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top