AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi -- I am new to this message board and I'm looking for some advice. I just bought a new condo and am looking to install a flat screen tv in my family room.

I want something around the 50 inch range. I'm not sure whether to go with lcd or plasma or if I really need a 1080p tv right now. These are the three options that I am looking at right now. I'm looking to spend around $1500. I don't yet have a Blu-ray or HD-DVD player but would look to get one in the next year or two. Other than that I would just hook up a PS2, upconversion DVD Player and a Comcast HD receiver. Viewing distance will be around 7ft. Also, the family room will be entirely windows on one side. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Vizio Gallevia GV47LF - 47in. LCD - 1080p

Vizio VP50HDTV - 50in. - Plasma - 1080i/720p

Samsung HPS5033 - 50in. - Plasma - 1080i/720p

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by decke /forum/post/0

Hi -- I am new to this message board and I'm looking for some advice. I just bought a new condo and am looking to install a flat screen tv in my family room.

I want something around the 50 inch range. I'm not sure whether to go with lcd or plasma or if I really need a 1080p tv right now. These are the three options that I am looking at right now. I'm looking to spend around $1500. I don't yet have a Blu-ray or HD-DVD player but would look to get one in the next year or two. Other than that I would just hook up a PS2, upconversion DVD Player and a Comcast HD receiver. Viewing distance will be around 7ft. Also, the family room will be entirely windows on one side. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Vizio Gallevia GV47LF - 47in. LCD - 1080p

Vizio VP50HDTV - 50in. - Plasma - 1080i/720p

Samsung HPS5033 - 50in. - Plasma - 1080i/720p

Thanks in advance for your help.

While the Vizio is ok, the Samsung that you mention would be the better choice.

Yes it is the Lower end samsung set, however the panel is the same as the 53 and up. The differences are the anti glare coating and bezel. Along with some connections on the Higher end versions.

1080p is overrated at this point, however the LCD may be worth looking into with that much light coming in. I personally dont have a problem with glare on my plasma, but its something to consider. Which way do the windows face? will you have any coverings on them at all?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The wall the tv will be on and the windows will be at 90 degrees. The windows will face to the SE, which I think is good as we won't be watching to much TV in the morning. But there will still be a lot of light as the windows are floor to ceiling - 10ft.

We will have a shade but I would like to have them open if I can, otherwise whats the point.

I am really leaning toward the Vizio 1080p right now, as I don't want to buy the old technology. But on the other hand I don't want to buy something thats going to give me a lot of problems.

·
Registered
160 Posts

Quote:

The wall the tv will be on and the windows will be at 90 degrees. The windows will face to the SE, which I think is good as we won't be watching to much TV in the morning. But there will still be a lot of light as the windows are floor to ceiling - 10ft.

We will have a shade but I would like to have them open if I can, otherwise whats the point.

I am really leaning toward the Vizio 1080p right now, as I don't want to buy the old technology. But on the other hand I don't want to buy something thats going to give me a lot of problems.

I understand you wanting to have the "newest and best" but at a 7 foot veiwing distance, 1080p will make no difference whatsoever. Add to that the fact that nothing outside of HD-dvd or Blu-ray offers anything in that format as of yet anyway. What MAY make a difference with those big windows is the LCD screen itself.

ITs a toss up, have you really compared the two kinds of sets together? Both have pros and cons. Me personally i like the smoother look of the plasma, but i am set up where i dont get much outside light to reflect. That being said, even with all of my windows up and the door open with the evening sun coming in, i get no more glare than i did with my old CRT tv.

Is that the ony LCD set you are considering?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Really in looking at other LCDs there weren't any at that size 47 - 50 that were at that price point (even 1080i's).

Isn't it conceivable that Blu-ray or HD-DVD players will move to under 200 bucks within a couple years?

Does anyone have thoughts on these specific models. Pro's and Con's of each? Thanks.

·
Registered
99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith198025 /forum/post/0

I understand you wanting to have the "newest and best" but at a 7 foot veiwing distance, 1080p will make no difference whatsoever. Add to that the fact that nothing outside of HD-dvd or Blu-ray offers anything in that format as of yet anyway. What MAY make a difference with those big windows is the LCD screen itself.

ITs a toss up, have you really compared the two kinds of sets together? Both have pros and cons. Me personally i like the smoother look of the plasma, but i am set up where i dont get much outside light to reflect. That being said, even with all of my windows up and the door open with the evening sun coming in, i get no more glare than i did with my old CRT tv.

Is that the ony LCD set you are considering?

Are you sure 7 feet makes no diff? 7 ft. seems like an awfully short distance.

·
Registered
169 Posts
If you're worried about "old" technology, make sure you're not just getting swept up in the marketing mumbo jumbo. Check out CNET for more information about "1080p" sets that don't actually accept a 1080p signal before you buy anything 1080p.

·
Registered
17,223 Posts
Just for the record, even at 768p, the Samsung plasmas DO show a lot of detail - more than just about any other brand of plasma out there - at least with HD, anyway.

I'm not too sure of their SD displaying ability, though. I know that their older models were never rated too highly with it. I have heard that the Vizio plasmas, with the Faroujda scaling, do a very acceptable job with it. But I do notice in the stores that they are comparatively a little lacking in the "detail" department with HD. A Panasonic would be a good "happy medium". They're pretty good with everything.

And, since when is a 768p plasma considered "old technology"? They're still churnin' 'em out and people are still scarfin' 'em up like crazy! It will probably always look better than a 1080p LCD, as far as all-around picture quality. I hear that the 1080p sets don't display SD particularly well either, because of all the extra pixels. TV's not gonna go to 1080p for a long, long time, either - if even ever.

If you plan on watching a lot of Hi-Def DVD's, now or in the future, then go for 1080p. If you want the best, most natural all-around picture quality, go with plasma. It's a tradeoff, especially with the "budget" brands.

You could always spend a bit more and go with a 1080p Panasonic, or soon, a Pioneer.

Of those three, I"d probably get the Samsung first (which is the best in overall quality), and if there's a problem with glare, then exchange it for the Vizio LCD. That extra 3" will make a noticable difference, too.

·
Registered
160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDgloryhog /forum/post/0

Are you sure 7 feet makes no diff? 7 ft. seems like an awfully short distance.

Opinions vary, however most of the people that ive had the chance to view 1080p on a set that can display it, at that distance cant see the improvement. Plus at that screen size its hard to tell anyway, easier than a 42 incher, but still hard. You really need to be a good bit bigger to reap the benefits of it.

·
Registered
160 Posts

Quote:

Really in looking at other LCDs there weren't any at that size 47 - 50 that were at that price point (even 1080i's).

Isn't it conceivable that Blu-ray or HD-DVD players will move to under 200 bucks within a couple years?

Does anyone have thoughts on these specific models. Pro's and Con's of each? Thanks.

I agree that the price point for the high def players is coming down. Within a few years 200 or even lower is not out of the question, some add on devices are at that now.

hmmm, the only two I could list any pros and cons on would be the two plasmas.

The sammie does a really good job of displaying eye popping colors on HD and SD assuming that you have it calibrated properly. It is more of a tweakers set than some of the others i looked at, and the more recent model takes it to a whole different level. Even more so than the 33-73. The price on it is GREAT for a top tier manufacturer. And of course people who are loyal to different brands may disagree, but Samsung makes a "quality" product.

Some have gotten a set that "buzzes" but most that i have read about got it fixed under warranty pretty painlessly.

The Vizio that i looked at was decent in most respects, however i wouldnt put it up on the same level as Samsung, panasonic, pioneer, ect. Yet. The Hd pq was stunning, but most HD sets display HD feeds well, its what they are made for. The SD is where I saw it not being up to par. They are new, the price is low, and there is a reason. They have to cut corners somewhere to be able to offer the low price and get a foothold. Give them a couple of years, and im sure they will be mighty impressive. Not saying they are bad now, just not quite as good.

Out of those two, the samsung gets my vote. However if this is your first HD set, the Vizio should more than satisfy.

·
Registered
99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith198025 /forum/post/0

Opinions vary, however most of the people that ive had the chance to view 1080p on a set that can display it, at that distance cant see the improvement. Plus at that screen size its hard to tell anyway, easier than a 42 incher, but still hard. You really need to be a good bit bigger to reap the benefits of it.

You're right it's a 47". I have a 52" which makes a world of difference.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.