AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at sound bars and reading this forum for some time now. I am ready to make a decision and have been waiting for the new Vizio bar to come out so I can compare it against the newest Sony soundbar.

This will be going in my downstairs family room which is not ideal for any home theater setup (big room, no back wall, the kitchen and dining area are behind it, also one side wall is actually stairs going to the second floor). That being said I still would like to improve the sound in that room while watching TV and movies. I think a sound bar is the best option.

I have been reading the forums and it seems as the Vizio and Sony are usually well received in the lower mid price range (under $400). I was glad to see a new Sony with more features and a new Vizio with HDMI. I will more than likely be deciding between these two. I know the Sony is about $100 more which seems to get you an extra HDMI in, an extra Optical in, FM Tuner and 7 Sound Modes (Movie, Sports, Game, etc).

Vizio has the following surround decoders - Dolby Digital, SRS TruSurround HD, SRS WOW & SRS Tru Volume. Sony has Dolby Digital, Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD & DTS 96/24. It seems like the Sony is using more industry standard decoders.

I like the overall looks on both units. My concern of the Vizio is that it has a digital readout in the middle of the soundbar. Since I am probably going to mount the soundbar just above or below the TV I think this could be a slight distraction. As far as the Sony, I am not loving the raised pedestal design of the subwoofer.

So I am hoping to get some additional input from the members here. Especially once a few Vizio owners chime in with there comments on how the systems sound installed in a home. I think that is the hardest part because listening to them in the store is not a very good indication of how they sound once they are installed.

I will be connecting my DirecTV box, Samsung Blu-Ray and XBOX 360 to the soundbar. I would also like to have a Iphone doc, but neither seem to have a true dock, but I can get a Iphone to RCA and use the analog in on either unit to play MP3's.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and comments.

Clayton

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
The digital readout on the new Vizio wont be a distraction as it will only lite up when you are using your remote, after a few seconds it disapears.

With the wall missing where your stairs are at that might kill your surround effect,, soundbars need walls to reflect the sound off of.

If a surround effect is important perhaps go with the Vizio VHT510 with the wireless rear speakers and sub.

Cheers

Davyo

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Davyo,

My problem with a 5.1 systems was always the rears. I really do not have an option to wire them up. No crawl space below, concrete slab, no space above as it is the second floor. So running wires for the rear would require more skill than I have and would be on the expensive side.

When I first heard about the Vizio VHT510 I thought it might solve my problem because I read that the rears were wireless. Well they are from the front, but need to be wired to the sub so this really is not an option. With no real rear wall I would have to put the sub on the side wall and then run wire up the wall and to the rears. Once again something that I am sure could be done but would require a pro and probably run more than the system I am putting in.

So I think I am limited to a soundbar and sub, which is fine. I know going in it will not be the greatest sound system in the world, but anything has to be better than just my TV speakers.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoses
I just wish you were still demoing and reviewing sound bars Davyo.
Ohhhh hang in there,,,, I might just pick up that new Vizio or the new Polk 4000 in a few weeks,,,, I just have to wait untill I get all moved into the new condo next week.

I still have the Sony CT-350 I just purchased new in the box (havent even opened it yet) I just had to buy the 350 when I found that last one at BB for $199.99 last week.

And of course I still have my trusty JVC BA1.

Cheers

Davyo

·
Registered
848 Posts
I went with the Vizio 510 today, $278.00 at Sams Club.

Panny BDT210 connected to bar via optical.

Still trying to figure out why the rear speakers have no sound but time ran out.

The bar itself sounds great though, need more time before passing judgement on the sub though.

Tomorrow back at it.

·
Registered
LGCX65 Sonos Arc DP-UB820-K AppleTV 4K 2021
1,207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoses /forum/post/20904549

I have been looking at sound bars and reading this forum for some time now. I am ready to make a decision and have been waiting for the new Vizio bar to come out so I can compare it against the newest Sony soundbar.

This will be going in my downstairs family room which is not ideal for any home theater setup (big room, no back wall, the kitchen and dining area are behind it, also one side wall is actually stairs going to the second floor). That being said I still would like to improve the sound in that room while watching TV and movies. I think a sound bar is the best option.

I have been reading the forums and it seems as the Vizio and Sony are usually well received in the lower mid price range (under $400). I was glad to see a new Sony with more features and a new Vizio with HDMI. I will more than likely be deciding between these two. I know the Sony is about $100 more which seems to get you an extra HDMI in, an extra Optical in, FM Tuner and 7 Sound Modes (Movie, Sports, Game, etc).

Vizio has the following surround decoders - Dolby Digital, SRS TruSurround HD, SRS WOW & SRS Tru Volume. Sony has Dolby Digital, Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD & DTS 96/24. It seems like the Sony is using more industry standard decoders.

I like the overall looks on both units. My concern of the Vizio is that it has a digital readout in the middle of the soundbar. Since I am probably going to mount the soundbar just above or below the TV I think this could be a slight distraction. As far as the Sony, I am not loving the raised pedestal design of the subwoofer.

So I am hoping to get some additional input from the members here. Especially once a few Vizio owners chime in with there comments on how the systems sound installed in a home. I think that is the hardest part because listening to them in the store is not a very good indication of how they sound once they are installed.

I will be connecting my DirecTV box, Samsung Blu-Ray and XBOX 360 to the soundbar. I would also like to have a Iphone doc, but neither seem to have a true dock, but I can get a Iphone to RCA and use the analog in on either unit to play MP3's.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and comments.

Clayton

cmoses: I own the Sony 550W. Funny that you mention about the SW design--frankly it is a different shape--but I have come to learn it is a substantial SW. Its wireless feature allows for "wherever" placement--I've moved the SW all over the place even in different rooms with absolutely no L-O-S to the receiver and it still connects and booms away. However, for my ears, up front near the sound bar seems to produce the most impressive surround sound affect for the 550W.

Also, as a side note to your post...the 550W also processes SRS TruSurround HD as well.

From my personal perspective skip the "optical cable" if you can. If your TV in the basement supports hdmi--then regardless of whatever sound bar you go with, connect with High Speed HDMI cables--High Speed means 1.3 a, b or c or any 1.4-- Amazon.com sells these cables for $8-$10 and they work very well.

Either way, I am more than happy to answer any questions about the 550W--likewise I am eager to hear your experience with the Vizio sound bar. (Note-I have the 550W connected to a Sony HX820 which in and of itself offers "integrated" benefits vs another sound bar manufacturer)

Here's my set up in my game room:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here's the Sony on- screen integrated Sound Bar menu---for 550W "compatible" Sony TVs....

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ2 /forum/post/20923587

cmoses: I own the Sony 550W. Funny that you mention about the SW design--frankly it is a different shape--but I have come to learn it is a substantial SW. Its wireless feature allows for "wherever" placement--I've moved the SW all over the place even in different rooms with absolutely no L-O-S to the receiver and it still connects and booms away. However, for my ears, up front near the sound bar seems to produce the most impressive surround sound affect for the 550W.

Also, as a side note to your post...the 550W also processes SRS TruSurround HD as well.

From my personal perspective skip the "optical cable" if you can. If your TV in the basement supports hdmi--then regardless of whatever sound bar you go with, connect with High Speed HDMI cables--High Speed means 1.3 a, b or c or any 1.4-- Amazon.com sells these cables for $8-$10 and they work very well.

Either way, I am more than happy to answer any questions about the 550W--likewise I am eager to hear your experience with the Vizio sound bar. (Note-I have the 550W connected to a Sony HX820 which in and of itself offers "integrated" benefits vs another sound bar manufacturer)

Thanks for the information. I have not decided which way to go yet, I am still looking at both the Sony and the Vizio. My post was to get more comments on both and hear what people think.

I am glad you like your Sony and are happy with it. I am actually leaning more to towards the Sony right now. I like that it has the additional inputs. I will be using HDMI for my DirecTV box and my Blu-Ray player. I have a old XBOX 360 (no HDMI) so I would be using the Optical out on it to go to the soundbar.

As far as the SW, the more I see it the more I have grown to like it. It was "different" than all the others so I think I didn't like it for that reason when I first saw it. By the way, I have not been able to find anywhere that list the size of the sub? I know the Vizio has a 6.5" sub. Does anyone know the size of the Sony? My guess is it would be similar or maybe a little bigger.

I will also probably be replacing the TV in that room at some point. Going a little bigger and getting some updated features. I have not really looked at brands, so I am not sure what one I am going with, but like the Sony integrated soundbar menu. That may sway me to go with a Sony.

Clayton

·
Registered
1,207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMayhem /forum/post/20925791

LBJ2,

have you noticed any interference with TV controls/sensors from the soundbar placement in front of the TV? this is the way i'll be setting up my 550 and my HX729 in the coming weeks.

Mike: I haven't run into any interference issues with the wireless setup yet even while moving the SW >15' away in another room. I didn't put much in to the installation of this system--I just plugged it in and the wireless connected immediately. The system automatically selects the best channel. However, you can change the frequency band ( up to three channels) between 5.736 GHz-5.814 GHz if you do run into interference.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoses /forum/post/20925743

Thanks for the information. I have not decided which way to go yet, I am still looking at both the Sony and the Vizio. My post was to get more comments on both and hear what people think.

I am glad you like your Sony and are happy with it. I am actually leaning more to towards the Sony right now. I like that it has the additional inputs. I will be using HDMI for my DirecTV box and my Blu-Ray player. I have a old XBOX 360 (no HDMI) so I would be using the Optical out on it to go to the soundbar.

As far as the SW, the more I see it the more I have grown to like it. It was "different" than all the others so I think I didn't like it for that reason when I first saw it. By the way, I have not been able to find anywhere that list the size of the sub? I know the Vizio has a 6.5" sub. Does anyone know the size of the Sony? My guess is it would be similar or maybe a little bigger.

I will also probably be replacing the TV in that room at some point. Going a little bigger and getting some updated features. I have not really looked at brands, so I am not sure what one I am going with, but like the Sony integrated soundbar menu. That may sway me to go with a Sony.

Clayton

Clayton: the 550W SW's dimensions are 10 3/4 " w x 15 3/8" h x 11 1/8" d. You can check out the specs and user manual at :
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...0W#/manualsTab

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.