AVS Forum banner

VP50HDTV: Can you hear "the buzz" at viewing distance?

• YES

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • NO

Votes: 16 64.0%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the 1 and ONLY issue I have with this television. Curious if us buzzers are in the minority.

Can you hear (at all) the buzz of your set at proper viewing distance (approx 10-12 ft)?

·
Registered
69 Posts
My 50" LG Plasma buzzes something fierce, and they refuse to fix it. They say it's normal, and "within specification." I can hear it 10 feet away with the volume on 1/4 to 1/3. It's worse during brighter scenes.

They're obviously trying to shirk responsibility.

Customers service just tells me, "Well, our service technician said there was no problem, so we can't help you."

So much for LG service!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by are34 /forum/post/0

I've had my vp50 for two weeks now. Mine does not have a buzz sound coming from it.

I am nearly convinced this is a design flaw and am unlucky enough to be able to hear the frequency this buzz operates at more than 10' away. I may purchase a second unit and compare but I have read too too many posts of people who heard it, and continued to hear it on subsequent units on not only this unit but other brands. I also have the type of ear that can hear a CRT powered on a room away which should be noted is probably 1/4 the volume I notice with this set.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I too could hear a buzzing at normal viewing distance with the volume at a reasonable level. Vizio had a tech come out under warranty to replace the power board on my VP42 after I complained of the buzzing. That didn't go so well since immediately after replacing the board the panel wouldn't power on. Now I get to wait for a new set to get shipped. Thanks Vizio.

·
Registered
39 Posts
For the people who are wondering if the buzz is something that varies on a person's hearing , I really doubt it since the frequency of the buzz isnt THAT high, my 75 year old grandmother could hear it. I use to wonder also if I was just being too picky since there are claims that all plasmas buzzed to some degree.

I had the Vizio VP42 and believe me, the buzz is LOUD! I use to wonder also if I was just super sensitive to high frequency, but everyone I asked could definitely hear the buzz from about 15 feet away. I have actually replaced the VP42 3 TIMES and the buzz is very noticeable on all 4 sets. When people say that plasma buzz is normal, that's referring to the slight hum from the back of the screen. With the Vizio, it very much sounded like the buzz was coming out directly from the screen itself and I could hear it clearly from about 10-15 feet infront of the tv with the mute on.

I have given up on the VP42 and have had the Hitachi 42" P42H401, a panny 42px77u, and a panny 50px75u. I have also had close inspection on my girlfriend's pioneer elite. NONE of these plasmas had any audible buzz coming from the screen at all not even from a few inches infront of the screen.

So basically, if you're still a bit confused on if whether or not you have the buzz, just put your ear 3 inches infront of the screen. You will definitely know if you have the buzz.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've had my set for almost a week now and it seems to be totally lacking of any buzz. I have to say I LOVE this set. It's my third HDTV and so far this one is my favorite. Hope that remains the case!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts