AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Why would someone chose a Vizio over a Samsung? Take out pricing as a variable. I have always owned Samsung. I would love to talk about features/ products.

Thank you for the help!

·
Registered
5 Posts

I was torn between a 60" M series or the 60" Samsung 6300. I went with the 6300 and have regretted it almost since day one.  Great picture quality but it seems to be a series plagued with issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzlekp  /t/1526271/vizio-vs-samsung#post_24579404

Thank you so much, I will do a lot of research!! K
[URL='https://www.google.com/searc...+restart+&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official[/url ]

I am rarely the customer to throw a fit over stuff, I get that things are man made and subject to error.  But this is so widespread and such a PITA I just have to tell folks about it. 

The TV is on the wall and I travel a lot, so when I can't be there to take it down so techs can get to it, I have to pay $60 a pop to have the Home Theater company that installed it take it down.  Of course Samsung can't send techs that are insured to do this and will not reimburse this expense.  I get that to a point, but it's because of their issue that I am having to uninstall/reinstall it repeatedly.  So it's a double edged sword.

Either way, spend a grand elsewhere...

·
Registered
2,026 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzlekp  /t/1526271/vizio-vs-samsung#post_24579351

Why would someone chose a Vizio over a Samsung? Take out pricing as a variable. I have always owned Samsung. I would love to talk about features/ products.

Thank you for the help!
If you like 3D, Vizio uses passive 3D, whereas Samsung uses active 3D.  While passive 3D has its own flaws, there are many people who find viewing 3D content on an active 3D display for extended periods of time to be fatiguing.  In some cases, it even distracts them or makes them sick.

·
Registered
767 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB  /t/1526271/vizio-vs-samsung#post_24579554

If you like 3D, Vizio uses passive 3D, whereas Samsung uses active 3D.  While passive 3D has its own flaws, there are many people who find viewing 3D content on an active 3D display for extended periods of time to be fatiguing.  In some cases, it even distracts them or makes them sick.
2014 Vizios will not have 3D.

I've mentioned this elsewhere and glad to do it here also. My Sammy plasma(MSRP $2800) broke after 4 years. From my readings there was a class action suit against Sammy for cheap parts. Mine was the same issue but outside of the class action purchase window. Sammy told me to suck it after over an hour talking to 4 different CSRs. If Vizio breaks at least the purchase price will be significantly less.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomnan24  /t/1526271/vizio-vs-samsung#post_24579768

2014 Vizios will not have 3D.

True.  I assumed the OP meant if you were to go buy one now.  Since neither manufacturer's 2014 lineup is actually in stores yet, the comparison would be limited to 2013 models.

If we are talking about the forthcoming 2014 models then the comparison would be very different.  Up till now, Vizio's top of the line TV was comparable to a slightly-above-mid-range Samsung in terms of features and PQ.  Vizio had nothing to compare to Samsung's flagship models.  With the forthcoming release of the P & R series, Vizio aims to match/surpass the feature set (minus 3D) and PQ of the top of the line sets from the big manufacturers (Samsung, Sony, LG, Sharp, and Panasonic).  Also, worth considering is that Samsung's 2014 flagship model is going to be curved, while Vizio's will be flat.  So, if you don't like the idea of a curved TV, then your comparison might be between Vizio's best Reference set and Samsung's 2nd best offering.  In that scenario, it will be interesting to see if people choose Vizio for superior 2D PQ or Samsung for the addition of 3D.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
samsung used to be a quality copy cat company a decade ago for my household....now their products come out seemingly 'cutting edge' but without many of the features working correctly. They've managed to improve their 'packaging' and 'speclist' but at the expense of reliability in my experience. Vizio is how samsung used to be, cheap and reliable.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
First the Japanese supplanted the American brands like RCA, Zenith, GE, Sylvania etc, then and now the Korean brands are pushing the Japanese into the background, and now here come the Chinese manufacturers. Considering that most of the TV manufacturers do not actually make all of their own parts you then must consider where they bought them from and what quality is used in that specific part. Vizio purchases 100% of their parts. Theoretically they could produce Elite clones if they chose to.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts

Quote:
Vizio purchases 100% of their parts.Theoretically they could produce Elite clones
..................... OTOH

·
Registered
13,714 Posts

Quote:

Thank you for the help!

All Vizio 2014 TVs are full array local dimming (FALD).

All Samsung 2014 TVs are edge lit pseudo-local dimming (ELPD).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Thank you, I thought I understood the Samsungs pretty well including their back-lit feature.

Now You re speaking another language LOL. I really want 75 " Samsung 8000 and cannot find a reason

not to get one. K

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

So HockeyoAJB,

I watch  Formula One, Nascar, Football, and movies. Now that I have learned from you that the 2014 are curved, how does that match up with

with the type of shows I watch? I am looking at a 75" Sam 8000. Price is not a major factor. Do you or any one else out there have any comments?

Thank everyone so very much. Even though I am late 40's, I have to be careful going out for the moment after a head injury. THX, K

·
Registered
898 Posts

Quote:

Thank you for the help!
Pricing has to be part because Vizio competes quality wise for WAY less than Sammy

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

I think my problem is every time I do get a chance to go out and look at TV's side by side or somewhat close space, the picture of the Samsung is ALWAYS CONSISTENTLY better than the other higher end TV"S. Do others find this the same or is just my head injury?? LOL  THX K

·
Registered
20,607 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzlekp  /t/1526271/vizio-vs-samsung#post_24582626

I think my problem is every time I do get a chance to go out and look at TV's side by side or somewhat close space, the picture of the Samsung is ALWAYS CONSISTENTLY better than the other higher end TV"S. Do others find this the same or is just my head injury?? LOL  THX K

Never ever base judgement off of store setups. Most have in torch mode and some will purposely set other TVs wrong to make others look better. While there will be differences only if you adjust settings or calibrate both equally will you know what the actual difference is. Ootb can be very deceiving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 31 Posts